LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 296 users in the forums

Tight End Criteria

Tight End Criteria

I wish we could get a traditional TE who was an above average blocker but could still go out on routes. I actually think FA is a better way to fill this role at this point. Davis really needs to play Walker's position and we need a more traditional TE playing Davis's position. With Davis playing Walker's position he is going to absolutely freak defenses out trying to cover him.
  • buck
  • Veteran
1. catch the ball, as in do not drop the damn thing.
2. block
3. see #1
I really like Joseph Fauria as a TE option.

6'7, 260 lbs, 4.82 forty
46 catches, 637 yards, 13.8 yds/catch, 12 TD

He's pretty slow, but he's a massive target that can get up an catch the ball. He was ranked in the 2nd or 3rd by many draft sites, but now NFL Draft Scout has him as a 7th/FA.

Does anyone know why his ranking has dropped? Can his RZ success translate in the NFL?
Originally posted by Butter:
I really like Joseph Fauria as a TE option.

6'7, 260 lbs, 4.82 forty
46 catches, 637 yards, 13.8 yds/catch, 12 TD

He's pretty slow, but he's a massive target that can get up an catch the ball. He was ranked in the 2nd or 3rd by many draft sites, but now NFL Draft Scout has him as a 7th/FA.

Does anyone know why his ranking has dropped? Can his RZ success translate in the NFL?

Because he can't block for $%$. He's a worse blocker than Michael Egnew was coming last year and Egnew basically didn't play at all due to that. You need a TE that can block and catch the ball, otherwise you might as well just draft a tall WR.
the two things we need out of a TE are relaible short yardage catches, and reliable RZ target.
Kelce, Dion Sims, Escobar, Mychal Rivera, Vance McDonald.
Originally posted by eonblue:
I like Michael Williams from bama. Built tough as nails and was blocking beast in the sec. He had some sick catches in the natl championship

And slower than molasses. Dude's got stone feet, he's going to get absolutely mercced at the next level. Stellar blocker but lacks foot speed to be a reliable and consistent receiver in the NFL.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by eonblue:
I like Michael Williams from bama. Built tough as nails and was blocking beast in the sec. He had some sick catches in the natl championship

And slower than molasses. Dude's got stone feet, he's going to get absolutely mercced at the next level. Stellar blocker but lacks foot speed to be a reliable and consistent receiver in the NFL.

Phoenix, what is your preference for targeting a TE this year? What players do you like, and where in the draft is the the best value to target one?
I would like to draft Gavin Escobar from San Diego St. When I see this kid play he reminds me of Tony Gonzalez.

^WARNING!! Horrible music! ^

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/gavin-escobar?id=2540211

Mayock on San Diego State TE Gavin Escobar: "He's a guy some coaches & scouts are comparing to a Tony Gonzalez type. That kind of skill set."
[ Edited by PTulini on Feb 22, 2013 at 5:55 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone