There are 198 users in the forums

Tight End Criteria

Tight End Criteria

The Niners have had excellent success developing both Davis and Walker into excellent blockers.

Is it easier to teach a TE to learn to block or to become a better receiver? To me blocking is about technique, strength and desire. Receiving is about speed, running proper routes, and the ability to catch the ball.

Everyone recognizes that Ertz and Eifert are good. What sleeper picks do people like at TE? Who is the best prospect? Where do the Niners target a TE?
I like ertz alot, but only if he falls to the bottom of the 2nd or close to it, which he wont , but if he did you have to jump on him
i like ryan otten out of SJSU and Nick Kasa out of Colorado as sleepers
Blocking is extremely important to Baalke, it's a big reason why Reuland was cut in favor of Celek and why Fleener was not drafted at 30 last year. Travis Kelce seems to be a guy the Niners would love, but I doubt he makes it to their 2nd round pick.
Originally posted by 49ersGiants7:
Blocking is extremely important to Baalke, it's a big reason why Reuland was cut in favor of Celek and why Fleener was not drafted at 30 last year. Travis Kelce seems to be a guy the Niners would love, but I doubt he makes it to their 2nd round pick.

I completely agree about Kelce. Value wise, he might be my favorite prospect at TE. With the Niners needs at DE, NT, WR, CB, S, its tough to know where the best value will be. I would be totally fine with going DE, NT with the first two picks. This is why they need to trade up with some of their lower picks and get more picks in the first three rounds.
Originally posted by Butter:
Originally posted by 49ersGiants7:

I completely agree about Kelce. Value wise, he might be my favorite prospect at TE. With the Niners needs at DE, NT, WR, CB, S, its tough to know where the best value will be. I would be totally fine with going DE, NT with the first two picks. This is why they need to trade up with some of their lower picks and get more picks in the first three rounds.

if niners got kelce it would make an interesting quirk that they have 2 players whose older brothers play on the eagles
Well, perhaps it is better to answer the question of what the 49ers would be looking for in a 2nd TE before discussing a strategy. IMO, they need a block-first guy with solid hands and is capable of find spaces in the short-to-intermediate area.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
much easier learning to block than to catch.
I would take Escobar with one of the 3rds. He makes tough catches away from the body and will go up for it in traffic. He's only 250ish, but I figure he didn't max out his frame at SDSU.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
much easier learning to block than to catch.

Sometimes learning to block makes you forget how to catch. Ask Walker.

need a blocker so davis can get more looks
Originally posted by Allx9er:
need a blocker so davis can get more looks
there are many points to ponder...

If walker goes elsewhere do they draft another TE or just pass the torch to Celek?
Since Kaep became QB we started going to Walker a lot. Everyone said that's because VD was getting double teamed... That's a good thing though! The more playmakers we have, it will give Kaep better one on one options. Crabtree has done great and so has VD. But if we go with a blocking TE and he needs to learn to catch, I will be disappointed. That's what we have right now with Walker so why not just pay him? At least Walker has many roles that he plays. And Walker used to catch pretty good.

If Walker is too expensive I would rather they go with a natural pass-catcher, someone who will jump up and fight for the ball and teach the guy to block better.
I like Michael Williams from bama. Built tough as nails and was blocking beast in the sec. He had some sick catches in the natl championship
Take a TE in the 4th or later. We have other needs to fill first. And who knows, Walker might be back.

Nick Kasa from Colorado started as a DE and switched to TE. He would be a good development project in the 4th. Good blocker now, and a tall target.
Ertz made a lot of progress his senior season as a blocker...I'm sure there's still a lot he can learn, but he seems to be willing to improve there. There's no questioning his size and hands. I'd love it if Baalke grabs him. Just think of his potential as a RZ target...woof. He's a much better all around player than Fleener, IMHO.
Share 49ersWebzone