There are 139 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Star Lotulelei at 8

If Star Lotulelei is available at 8th overall and the bills want alex smith, what else would we need to give up make that trade work?
Hopefully we will get the trades done before the draft. But it would be wonderful if we could get a 1 for A. Smith. Then if possible we could get Star if he was available and if he was the one that Baalke thought would be the best pick. Even then Baalke could trade back and pick up another few draft picks and still get the player they really wanted.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Hopefully we will get the trades done before the draft. But it would be wonderful if we could get a 1 for A. Smith. Then if possible we could get Star if he was available and if he was the one that Baalke thought would be the best pick. Even then Baalke could trade back and pick up another few draft picks and still get the player they really wanted.

i mean we swap 1st round picks, give them alex and what else?
Well, let's say Alex is worth a 2nd rounder to the Bills. For us to move up from #32 to #8 would at least cost Alex, our 2013 1st, 2013 2nd, and probably our 2014 1st. Not worth it.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Well, let's say Alex is worth a 2nd rounder to the Bills. For us to move up from #32 to #8 would at least cost Alex, our 2013 1st, 2013 2nd, and probably our 2014 1st. Not worth it.

Ding Ding Ding. This talent is flat with talent. Why would you give up the 1st thins year, a second and next years (in a more talented draft),

If Anything, trade for higher picks in 2013.

3rd for a second in 2014
4th for a 3rd in 2014
5th for a 4th in 2014

Get my drift.
Lotuleilei will most likely be the 1st DL off the board...and my guess is he'll be long gone before the #8 pick.
He will likely be a Suh or Ngata type of player.

We won't be able to get him. But, we don't really need to find a guy that can be a Suh or Ngata as a rookie do we. We have Cowboy for 1 more year. We need to find a guy that can be a Suh or Ngata type of DL a year or two from now. Someone like that, we may have a chance at.
This is all speculation, if he is sitting there at 8, would you want to move up to get him?
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I would love to get him, but I wouldn't want to give up a first in future years. The only way we could make this work is if we got a great deal for Alex Smith and/or a bad team values our number of picks more than a high pick in the first (aka they don't use the draft value chart). Chances are, we would also have to get a top 3 pick in the first to have a chance to get Star, as I see plenty of picks where he goes #1 overall now.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Lotuleilei will most likely be the 1st DL off the board...and my guess is he'll be long gone before the #8 pick.

I doubt he gets past Oakland at #3.
He's going to the Raiders and I will have to hate him then
Would cost WAYYYY too much to move up that far.
Well looking at my crystal ball i'd say ain't gonna happen.
This draft sets up where there will be some surprises in draft order. Star would seem to be a long shot past the top ten. I think it's more likely that the team trades down or collects picks for next years draft. If they really like someone in the 15 to 25 range they may trade their one and one of their extra 3's. They have the ammunition to make the move.
Farthest he will fall is #4 to philly. They want to switch to the 3-4, and thats much easier to do with a stud NT