LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 387 users in the forums

For all of the draftniks who think the Niners need a big fat NT.

Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
I agree with this. We still need that clogger in the middle but in a later round.

This is asinine. You go where you can get the talent. If you can get the talent at NT in the 1st round, then you go in the 1st round, period. If you push back your needs to later rounds just to be clever, you end up like the Arizona Cardinals, drafting QB's and OL's in the 5th and 6th round each year and never solving that need as a result.

The value at NT is early on, in later rounds you have a bunch of projects and guys with iffy prospects as potential future starters. The way I see it, you have Jonathan Jenkins and Jesse Williams in the 1st, Brandon Williams in the 2nd, if you want a guy who can contribute to this team starting next year, you take one of those guys and move on.

If there is value at DE, such as Datone Jones, you draft him, if there isn't value, you take an NT, if there isn't value at NT, you trade down, add some more picks next year, draft Brandon Williams as your NT, and then utilize those extra picks to get your top DE next season when the draft depth overall will be stronger.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 12, 2013 at 4:09 PM ]
Phoenix49ers. I totally agree. You take the BPA and you can't go wrong. Baalke reached last with AJ Jenkins because we needed a receiver and it was a mistake. Janoris Jenkins was easily the BPA available last year and the Rams got a steal in the 2nd round. At pick #30 you don't let a little marijuana use scare you off. We could've had a top 15 player in the draft but we didn't pull the trigger.
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
Phoenix49ers. I totally agree. You take the BPA and you can't go wrong. Baalke reached last with AJ Jenkins because we needed a receiver and it was a mistake. Janoris Jenkins was easily the BPA available last year and the Rams got a steal in the 2nd round. At pick #30 you don't let a little marijuana use scare you off. We could've had a top 15 player in the draft but we didn't pull the trigger.

It's not like we were the only team that was scared off by his red flags.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
No one thinks RJF can shoulder the load 35% of the time?

LOL, no.

I don't think he's even that great as a backup, let alone a starter.

I think if RJF gets a chance to play more snaps he will surprise people on how well he would play. Doesn't RJF train in the offseason with Justin and Ray, I remember reading that some where....
After Smit retires would you guys feel comfortable with getting his replacement the same way we got him? With his contract off the booka we could potentially have a lot of leverage on the market after next season.

Wrong thread to post this but its relevant to the draft
[ Edited by eonblue on Feb 12, 2013 at 7:32 PM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:
After Smit retires would you guys feel comfortable with getting his replacement the same way we got him? With his contract off the booka we could potentially have a lot of leverage on the market after next season.

Wrong thread to post this but its relevant to the draft

I don't know when he retires or who might even be available then, but I would far prefer being proactive and finding some potential candidates to develop ahead of time.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I don't know when he retires or who might even be available then, but I would far prefer being proactive and finding some potential candidates to develop ahead of time.

If this draft is done right we could get really good rotation on the dline and a fresh secondary.
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:

If i'm not mistaken...the guy he intended as his target at #30 was actually Bruce Irvin...AJ was his second choice...since Seattle snatched Irvin at 15...Jenkins was the guy. I'm ok with him havign a redshirt year...if you watched him at Illinois....you'd know he bounces back very well. Jenkins' year is in 2013
Exactly...which is why you draft guys like Jesse Williams or Jonathan Hankins, who can play everywhere on the DL. There's also little sense drafting DE's who aren't stout enough to stuff the run and collapse the pocket. Although he's a FA, I'd also sign Randy Starks, a very versatile and good DL. When Justin Smith got hurt, nobody stepped up to pick up the slack, primarily because our veteran depth wasn't good enough. That can change by getting Starks and drafting a couple of bad asses...Baalke has the picks to make that happen.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Exactly...which is why you draft guys like Jesse Williams or Jonathan Hankins, who can play everywhere on the DL. There's also little sense drafting DE's who aren't stout enough to stuff the run and collapse the pocket. Although he's a FA, I'd also sign Randy Starks, a very versatile and good DL. When Justin Smith got hurt, nobody stepped up to pick up the slack, primarily because our veteran depth wasn't good enough. That can change by getting Starks and drafting a couple of bad asses...Baalke has the picks to make that happen.

You must be Stark's agent.

Share 49ersWebzone