There are 129 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

10 Players I'd Love to See in Red & Gold (Pre-Combine Edition)

I'm not going to project trades, so here are 10 guys we could reasonably pick that would help us take the next step.

I used NFLDraftScout.com to determine where these guys will be available.

Round 1: John Jenkins, NT, Georgia... 6'4", 359

Massive, pocket-pushing nose that eats up blockers and protects LBs. This would immediately cure a lot of our issues on defense.

Round 2: David Amerson, CB, NC State... 6'2", 194

Tall playmaker with outstanding ball skills. Could contribute at corner or safety.

Round 3: Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech... 6'2", 206

Big and physical deep threat. Excellent complement for Crab.

Round 3: John Simon, OLB, Ohio State... 6'2", 256

Ultimate warrior with a relentless motor. Would be excellent depth behind Ahmad Brooks and would give a tremendous effort on special teams.

Round 3: Brandon Jenkins, OLB, Florida State... 6'3", 260

One of the best pass rushers in the nation before suffering a season-ending injury. Would offer great depth behind Aldon Smith.

Round 4: Dion Sims, TE, Michigan State... 6'5", 285

An absolute monster in the run game and a reliable receiver to boot. We need multi-dimensional TEs to enhance the versatility of our heavy packages.

Round 5: William Gholston, DE, Michigan State... 6'7", 278

Highly gifted but has question marks about his instincts and ability to control his emotions. Provides depth behind Justin Smith.

Round 5: Kwame Geathers, DT, Georgia... 6'5", 355

Another massive clogger at nose. Given the investment we've made in Willis and Bowman, it only makes sense to protect them.

Round 6: Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State... 6'2", 189

Very powerful leg and has made a lot of big kicks. A replacement for Akers is vital.

Round 6: Greg Reid, CB, Valdosta State... 5'8", 186

Character concerns and coming off an ACL, but I would prefer him to Tyrann Mathieu as he's more fluid in coverage and even more explosive in the return game.

[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on Feb 8, 2013 at 12:01 PM ]
I absolutely love this draft. Loading up on pass rush and drafting a solid CB.
Amerson was terrible in every game I saw, but I liked the rest of your draft. I like Simon A LOT, but I don't know exactly where he projects. He's going to kill the combine, though, and his interviews are going to be fantastic. I expect him to be drafted higher than he's projected... maybe even at the end of Round 1. Dion Sims is interesting. I remember thinking how fat & slow he looked, but he's got soft hands and is a really good blocker. Could be used in a lot of packages due to his skill-set. I don't like William Gholston that much... plays WAY too high, IMO. Then again, I said the same thing about Aldon Smith, so...
Just posted a mock of my own and it came out very similar to this one. Love Amerson in round 2 as a safety, love the Rogers pick, and I'm actually high on Golston as a 3-4 End prospect.
I'll take this draft. The only change I'd make is taking Swope instead of Rogers.
I'm not sure that I really see why we would want to draft 2 large NT's and only 1 DE. It seemed as though Sopoaga was off the field more than he was on it, since we played so much nickel, so unless we moved to a 4-3, why so much more depth at the middle and not more to rotate on the ends for Smith and McDonald?
"Jenkins" will be the new "Smith"
Mmmmmm....Beeefy! Got big boys there. Sweet Georgia Peaches! Word on Arneson is that he is tight in the hips and is a sucker for double moves. Might want something different at #2 especially if they keep both of our DB's . Other than that, I love it. I'd like to see an o-lineman, preferably a Tackle.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
I'll take this draft. The only change I'd make is taking Swope instead of Rogers.

What?? Really.... I can agree with you regarding attitudes... but that's it. Rogers at Tennessee as a sophomore led the SEC in catches and yardage, along with 12 TDs. Without Bray. Also without Hunter and Patterson on the receiving corps to take attention away from him. This year he put up an 18 catch 300+ yard performance. If he gets his head and attitude right he'll be a heck of an athlete in the NFL. This year Swope barely cracked 900.

Most importantly though, Rogers=6'3", 215 => red zone threat. Swope=6'0", 205 => slot/underneath receiver. Rogers > Swope. Based on 49ers needs (of course this is all simply my opinion).
I just think the 49ers have Manningham and Williams for underneath routes. Another wouldn't do much to help our team. Whereas Rogers is a redzone player. That's what we need to focus on with our offensive draft this year. We need to be able to have a Dennis Pitta or Anquan Boldin to catch balls in the endzone and we have neither. Rogers would be a step toward Boldin. The kid's a freak athlete. Reminds me a lot of Boldin actually.
Originally posted by loyalniner:

What?? Really.... I can agree with you regarding attitudes... but that's it. Rogers at Tennessee as a sophomore led the SEC in catches and yardage, along with 12 TDs. Without Bray. Also without Hunter and Patterson on the receiving corps to take attention away from him. This year he put up an 18 catch 300+ yard performance. If he gets his head and attitude right he'll be a heck of an athlete in the NFL. This year Swope barely cracked 900.

Most importantly though, Rogers=6'3", 215 => red zone threat. Swope=6'0", 205 => slot/underneath receiver. Rogers > Swope. Based on 49ers needs (of course this is all simply my opinion).
I just think the 49ers have Manningham and Williams for underneath routes. Another wouldn't do much to help our team. Whereas Rogers is a redzone player. That's what we need to focus on with our offensive draft this year. We need to be able to have a Dennis Pitta or Anquan Boldin to catch balls in the endzone and we have neither. Rogers would be a step toward Boldin. The kid's a freak athlete. Reminds me a lot of Boldin actually.

hmm...Da'Rick Rogers didn't play for Tennessee with Hunter or Patterson and had Bray throwing to him. He played for Tennessee Tech. Also, I believe Rogers measures to 6'1'' and 205 lbs, not too different from Swope. Swope played against tougher competition and did have some injuries this past season.
Thx for the pics and the draft. A few comments.

Why burn two third round picks on olb WHEn you have two starters and you drafted two OLB last year in Darius Fleming and Cam Jordan.

You draft two DL that are 350 plus pounds. One NT is all that is needed and one 3-4 DE.

I would pick the kicker in round 5, we do not want someone to draft him ahead of us.

I would also go TE higher. I do not hink Sims will be available that late in the draft.
Originally posted by loyalniner:

hmm...Da'Rick Rogers didn't play for Tennessee with Hunter or Patterson and had Bray throwing to him. He played for Tennessee Tech. Also, I believe Rogers measures to 6'1'' and 205 lbs, not too different from Swope. Swope played against tougher competition and did have some injuries this past season.

Actually, Bray was hurt for about a third of that season. And I said he played without Patterson and Hunter....
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
I'm not going to project trades, so here are 10 guys we could reasonably pick that would help us take the next step.

I used NFLDraftScout.com to determine where these guys will be available.

Round 1: John Jenkins, NT, Georgia... 6'4", 359

Massive, pocket-pushing nose that eats up blockers and protects LBs. This would immediately cure a lot of our issues on defense.

Round 2: David Amerson, CB, NC State... 6'2", 194

Tall playmaker with outstanding ball skills. Could contribute at corner or safety.

Round 3: Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech... 6'2", 206

Big and physical deep threat. Excellent complement for Crab.

Round 3: John Simon, OLB, Ohio State... 6'2", 256

Ultimate warrior with a relentless motor. Would be excellent depth behind Ahmad Brooks and would give a tremendous effort on special teams.

Round 3: Brandon Jenkins, OLB, Florida State... 6'3", 260

One of the best pass rushers in the nation before suffering a season-ending injury. Would offer great depth behind Aldon Smith.

Round 4: Dion Sims, TE, Michigan State... 6'5", 285

An absolute monster in the run game and a reliable receiver to boot. We need multi-dimensional TEs to enhance the versatility of our heavy packages.

Round 5: William Gholston, DE, Michigan State... 6'7", 278

Highly gifted but has question marks about his instincts and ability to control his emotions. Provides depth behind Justin Smith.

Round 5: Kwame Geathers, DT, Georgia... 6'5", 355

Another massive clogger at nose. Given the investment we've made in Willis and Bowman, it only makes sense to protect them.

Round 6: Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State... 6'2", 189

Very powerful leg and has made a lot of big kicks. A replacement for Akers is vital.

Round 6: Greg Reid, CB, Valdosta State... 5'8", 186

Character concerns and coming off an ACL, but I would prefer him to Tyrann Mathieu as he's more fluid in coverage and even more explosive in the return game.

I wouldn't want to waste a high draft pick on a NT that can't switch out to DE. There will be passing teams where we will be forced into the nickel more often then not. Even Sopoago can play DE
Great post!
amazing draft!