LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 417 users in the forums

is a starting caliber olb a priority

this was Aldon's first year as starter. first time having to go through a 16 game season.

OLB is a need, but for depth only
"A" Priority - DLIne,- NT and 2 DE [maybe one in FA] we need a rotation. Drafting a Kicker that can play 10+ years is a solid move.

"B" Priority - CB, WR. We need a true cover corner, Carlos had a good year BUT we need better. We need a BIG, fast WR.

"C" Priority - K, Drafting a Kicker [rounds 5-6] who can play for 10+ years will win a lot of tight games.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

In general I'd like to see a systemic rotation of players on defense, rotating through 3 or 4 DE's, 3 OLB's, 2 NT's, every single game to minimize wear and tear.

I agree. Here is a blurb from Sando on the topic.

Why 49ers might have to adjust approach

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest

plus our offense is ALOT better now. we can afford to rotate more
Starting caliber? NO! Quality rotational player to bring in on passing 3rd downs to put more pressure on the QB opposite Aldon? YES!
If they draft a guy who happens to be good enough to start in the later rounds, that would be great. But right now, they need major help on the front end and on the back end. The luxury picks this season are at any of the LB positions.
Originally posted by buck:
I agree. Here is a blurb from Sando on the topic.

Why 49ers might have to adjust approach

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest

Thanks Buck--really interesting article. I keep forgetting how many injuries there were to back ups and starters on the front seven. Cam Johnson, Fleming, Haralson, Dobbs, J Smith, and Aldon (shoulder was still injured in the playoffs). Don't know how the backups would have played but it would have been good to rest J Smith and A Smith over the last few games or the season. If they hadn't needed to win the games they may have done so even without the key back ups.
I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Brandon Jenkins in the 3rd if we decide not to take a safety. Jenkins, although he was injured last yr, was a model of consistency in college.
Originally posted by mayo49:
No, I think he still blows.
this. even in 2011 parys was just average. his comeback would not effect us qualitatively.

our biggest priority is a true NT and perhaps another 3-4 de. an improved d-line is what we need for our pass-rushing olbs
  • cools
  • Veteran
They need two guys that can rotate in for Brooks and Smith

Haralson could restructure his contract and stick around, but i wont miss him much if they let him go
Cam Johnson or Fleming could be in the mix, I have a feeling Cam has much more upside

Fangio and Harbs probably would love to have Chase Thomas
I also like B.Jenkins with one of our 3rds, and his teamate ILB V.Williams later in the draft
[ Edited by cools on Feb 8, 2013 at 9:01 AM ]
Originally posted by loyalniner:
Starting caliber? NO! Quality rotational player to bring in on passing 3rd downs to put more pressure on the QB opposite Aldon? YES!

Ahmad Brooks is an excellent pass rusher. No rookie is going to be an improvement on 3rd downs.

Haralson is starter quality. But he is expensive for a backup. He could be released in traning camp if Fleming and Johnson appear ready to take over. We have a real need for someone to rotate in with Brooks and Aldon. But I don't think that need will get filled through the draft.

Originally posted by blm7754:
Ahmad Brooks is an excellent pass rusher. No rookie is going to be an improvement on 3rd downs.

Haralson is starter quality. But he is expensive for a backup. He could be released in traning camp if Fleming and Johnson appear ready to take over. We have a real need for someone to rotate in with Brooks and Aldon. But I don't think that need will get filled through the draft.
It shows how much Brooks is overlooked/undervalued. However as far as a rookie being an improvement on 3rd downs, in depends. If a guy who was a college DE is drafted and all he is expected to do is go after the QB, it could put some serious pressure on an offense already having to account for the other side with Aldon Smith and Justin Smith. But honestly, I think we are fine at OLB with our starters and even our backups. If anything, I can see signing an extra OLB in free agency for insurance just to have a veteran in the rotation with Cam Johnson and Darius Fleming. I believe the purpose behind this thread is to have a guy that can come in and sub for either Smith or Brooks without the pass rush suffering greatly. If we do draft someone, it will probably be in the later rounds (5th-7th) seeing as how we have more pressing needs at the moment.

I wonder how Bruce Miller would do in the role. Seriously lol.
I think Darius Fleming has a lot of potentials, then again thats from watching his college highlights.. but he has that burst coming from the edge that can beat the tackles, hopefully he comes back strong.
Share 49ersWebzone