LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

NINERJOHN'S MOCK DRAFT

Niners trade Alex Smith to the Chiefs for a 3rd round pick in this years draft and are awarded 4th round and two 7th round compensatory selections. I think Defense needs to be the focus. I am also not one that thinks a TE needs to be picked high at the expense of more pressing needs.

RD 1 DATRON JONES DE UCLA
Could be gone by the 31st pick and someone the Niners may move up to get.

RD 2 LOGAN RYAN CB RUTGERS
Big physical CB who will start from Day 1

RD 3 A JUSTIN HUNTER WR TENNESSEE (from pick from KC for Alex Smith)
Explosive and potential to be the WR across from Crabtree. He should go around this area.

RD 3B BRANDON WILLIAMS NT MISSOURI SOUTHERN STATE (pick from Carolina)
Might go a bit earlier but most draft sites have him around this spot. Would likely start from day 1

RD 3C SHAWN WILLIAMS S GEORGIA
Depth at Safety and a guy who could start by year 2

RD 4A JAMIE COLLINS OLB SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI
Depth is needed at OLB as well as having another potential big time pass rusher

RD 4C BRIAN SCHWENKE C California
Replacement for Goodwin. Great Senior Bowl Week

RD 5 MATT SCOTT QB ARIZONA
If he is available here Niners should pull the trigger.

RD 6 MYCHAL RIVERA TE TENNESSEE
Decent Senior Bowl week. Good receiver but needs some work on blocking

RD 7A DUSTIN HOPKINS K FLORIDA ST.
Have to get Hopkins or Sturgis in this round

RD 7B JOSH BOYCE WR (slot) TCU
Another slot WR option if Williams cant come back

RD 7C TANNER HAWKINSON OT KANSAS
Flyer on 4 year starter at tackle

RD 7D BAKER STEINKULER DE NEBRASKA
Great bloodlines and worth a shot this late

That's it. Lots of defense and hits needs in my opinion.

Really like the first 4 picks but I would grab the best available TE with our 5th pick.

Walker is a great blocker but is so dam spotty catching the ball that it makes me sick at times. Would love a tall TE that Kaep could throw high to over the middle and in the redzone.
Looks to me as though you have covered our issues and have some great picks, especially Jones, Williams, Hopkins, Schwenke.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I like the Ryan, Hunter and Schwenke picks.

I'm not as big on Datone Jones as most though.
Originally posted by Hopper:
I like the Ryan, Hunter and Schwenke picks.

I'm not as big on Datone Jones as most though.

i like datone jones...i think he can be a great player after a season under his belt. perfect guy take over when justin smith is out.
Originally posted by rk1642:
Really like the first 4 picks but I would grab the best available TE with our 5th pick.

Walker is a great blocker but is so dam spotty catching the ball that it makes me sick at times. Would love a tall TE that Kaep could throw high to over the middle and in the redzone.

we should get fauria. 6'8 and excellent hands
i like the first half even though i dont know who any of them are lol. the positions and descriptions sound like what we need. i would get a couple WRs for sure but they would both be bigger guys, we have enough small receivers already. also a TE to replace walker because hes gonna want starter money with someone i think.
Nicely balanced draft.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Originally posted by rk1642:

If Fauria is available in the 5th rd he could be a nice pick. I just wouldnt take him higher than that.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Niners trade Alex Smith to the Chiefs for a 3rd round pick in this years draft and are awarded 4th round and two 7th round compensatory selections. I think Defense needs to be the focus. I am also not one that thinks a TE needs to be picked high at the expense of more pressing needs.

RD 1 DATRON JONES DE UCLA
Could be gone by the 31st pick and someone the Niners may move up to get.

RD 2 LOGAN RYAN CB RUTGERS
Big physical CB who will start from Day 1

RD 3 A JUSTIN HUNTER WR TENNESSEE (from pick from KC for Alex Smith)
Explosive and potential to be the WR across from Crabtree. He should go around this area.

RD 3B BRANDON WILLIAMS NT MISSOURI SOUTHERN STATE (pick from Carolina)
Might go a bit earlier but most draft sites have him around this spot. Would likely start from day 1

RD 3C SHAWN WILLIAMS S GEORGIA
Depth at Safety and a guy who could start by year 2

RD 4A JAMIE COLLINS OLB SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI
Depth is needed at OLB as well as having another potential big time pass rusher

RD 4C BRIAN SCHWENKE C California
Replacement for Goodwin. Great Senior Bowl Week

RD 5 MATT SCOTT QB ARIZONA
If he is available here Niners should pull the trigger.

RD 6 MYCHAL RIVERA TE TENNESSEE
Decent Senior Bowl week. Good receiver but needs some work on blocking

RD 7A DUSTIN HOPKINS K FLORIDA ST.
Have to get Hopkins or Sturgis in this round

RD 7B JOSH BOYCE WR (slot) TCU
Another slot WR option if Williams cant come back

RD 7C TANNER HAWKINSON OT KANSAS
Flyer on 4 year starter at tackle

RD 7D BAKER STEINKULER DE NEBRASKA
Great bloodlines and worth a shot this late

That's it. Lots of defense and hits needs in my opinion.

Love the Jones pick, Love the Ryan pick, Hunter is great value in the 3rd round, Williams would be spectacular value at that point in the draft although I have him late 2nd round right now. Rivera, Scott, Collins, Hawkinson and Steinkuhler are all among my favorites, very good draft that targets pretty much all of the 49ers needs.

Originally posted by JustinNiner:

And can't block for s**t. Fauria's is a lot more like a tall ass WR than a complete TE at this point. I'd even put guys like Reed and Rivera ahead of him blocking-wise at this point.

Additionally after focusing on getting bigger tight-ends, I like what Delanie has been able to do in this offense, if they can get someone who is highly athletic but has reliable hands, that'd be ideal. Guys like Reed and Rivera are solid receivers with actually decent size to boot.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 5, 2013 at 2:06 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Love the Jones pick, Love the Ryan pick, Hunter is great value in the 3rd round, Williams would be spectacular value at that point in the draft although I have him late 2nd round right now. Rivera, Scott, Collins, Hawkinson and Steinkuhler are all among my favorites, very good draft that targets pretty much all of the 49ers needs.

Thanks man. I know you put a lot of thought into the draft so I appreciate your nice words. I would be happy with this draft but I know a couple of these guys will likely go before the area I have slotted when it all is said and done.
First 5 picks are gold.

Gut feeling we'll have to move up a round to get Hopkins and, IMO, he'll be worth it. Hell - give two 7th round pick to move up and have an excellent kicker for 10+ years - that's a no brainer.

Schwenke has major potential. Good call.

The "Delaine" question will be about $.
I can dig it nice mock
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Good pick on Rivera. His sister is my wife in the future
Share 49ersWebzone