There are 182 users in the forums

Early Ghost mocking - 2013

If Datone Jones has both a good 3 technique and 5 technique, he ain't gonna be there at 32.
Originally posted by stonecold590:
Dixon will be going to the Eagles.

Agree
Originally posted by nickbradley:
If Datone Jones has both a good 3 technique and 5 technique, he ain't gonna be there at 32.

We don't know that. Derek Wolfe was a similar type of talent last year (and even slightly bigger) and he lasted until pick #36. There's some pretty good 3-4 DEs in front of Jones this year so it's not unrealistic. But it's way too early to be splitting those hairs right now since we still have a long way to go in this process. Was just having a little fun with this mock.
Generally don't like or read 'Mocks", but since it was you Ghost, I read it...and hey who knew, I like it! Nice post!
Like the draft a lot from what little I know about the players 4-7th rounds.

I do know a bit about Kruger and I LOVE that pick.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I'll probably be off in where I'm selecting some of these prospects as of today, but I'm projecting them after the combine where I think many of them will go higher than where they're currently ranked. I also project we sign a handful of free agents, but no big names...just guys that fill needs at a good price. We'll also have to restructure/extend a few contracts (like Justin Smith and maybe Vernon) to fit everyone under our cap, but it shouldn't be a big deal. With that said, feel free to rip it to shreds.

Trade
Alex Smith - trade to KC for a 2013 3rd round pick and Chiefs back-up CB Jalil Brown (6'1", 204)

Release
David Akers
Parys Haralson

Do not re-sign
Randy Moss
Delanie Walker
Isaac Sopoaga
Tramaine Brock
Leonard Davis
Clark Haggans

Re-sign
Dashon Goldson ($5M cap#) - Leader of the defensive backfield and the enforcer; he has to come back
Ricky Jean-Francois ($1.5M cap#) - Could play 3-4 DE if the rookie NT (see Hughes below) steps up
Tavares Gooden ($900k cap#) - Key special-teamer

Free-agent signings
Brandon Gibson, WR (6'0", 210, $1.5M cap hit) - Steady veteran who starts opposite Crabs until Mario is fully healthy
Travis Beckum, TE (6'3", 240, $900k cap#) - Injury bug has stopped him from being productive, but very talented receiving TE
Dennis Dixon (6'3", 200, $750k cap hit) - Veteran QB with great running ability; currently playing the role of Kap for the Ravens right now

Comp picks
4th rounder
7th rounder
7th rounder

2013 draft

1.) Datone Jones, DE (6'4", 280) - UCLA - Justin Smith's heir-apparent
2.) Justin Hunter, WR (6'4", 200) - Tennessee - Deep speed to stretch the field
3.) Montori Hughes, NT (6'4", 327) - Tenn-Martin - Eventual starter at NT
3.) B.W. Webb, CB (5'10", 190) - William & Mary - Very athletic corner who adds punt return ability as well
3.) Joe Kruger, DE (6'6", 280) - Utah - 20 year-old version of Margus Hunt with better football bloodlines
4.) Ace Sanders, WR/PR (5'8", 175) - South Carolina - Punt return star and slot WR; might push K-Williams off the roster
4.) Terron Armstead, OT (6'5", 304) - Ark-Pine Bluff - Finally depth at OT; athletic small-school lineman to develop behind Staley
5.) Armonty Bryant, DE/OLB (6'4", 260) - East Central Oklahoma - Could eventually be a better 3-4 pass rusher than Fleming or Johnson
5.) Caleb Sturgis, K (5'10", 186) - Florida - Do I even need to say anything?
6.) Nick Kasa, TE (6'5", 270) - Colorado - Big, fast but very raw TE to develop
6.) T.J. Johnson, OC (6'4", 323) - South Carolina - Interior bruiser; could swing as an OG/OC
7.) Rashard Hall, SS (6'2", 210) - Clemson - Academic All-American with great size and speed for a SS; just needs time to develop
7.) Washaun Ealey, RB (5'11", 220) - Jacksonville St. - Former Georgia stud RB; he reformed his ways and gets a seat on the practice squad
7.) Martavius Neloms, FS (6'0", 190) - Kentucky - Excellent special-teamer, likely practice squad material

Training camp roster
QB - Kap, Tolzien, Dixon
RB - Gore, James, Hunter, Dixon, Hampton, Ealey, Miller (FB)
WR - Crabtree, Gibson, Manningham, Jenkins, Hunter, Sanders, K-Williams
TE - V-Davis, Beckum, Celek, Kasa
OT - Staley, A-Davis, Armstead, Netter
OG - Iupati, Boone, Looney, Kilgore (OG/OC)
OC - Goodwin, TJ-Johnson, (Kilgore)

NT - RJF, I-Williams, Hughes
DE - J-Smith, RayMac, D-Jones, Kruger, Tukuafu, Dobbs, Jerrod-Eddie
ILB - Willis, Bowman, Gooden, Wilhoite
OLB - Aldon, Brooks, C-Johnson, Fleming, Bryant
CB - T-Brown, Culliver, Rogers, J-Brown, Cox, Webb
FS - Goldson, Spillman, Neloms
SS - Whitner, T-Robinson, Hall

P - Lee
K - Sturgis
LS - Jennings

I like the trade of A. Smith but would prefer to the Browns for a 1st or 2nd round pick. I did like the extra CB in your trade as well. Shows good knowledge of other players out there. I like the Datone Jones pick assuming that Baalke seems him as a good pick. Would also like to get B. Williams and that pick from the Browns, assuming that is the trade, would get it done. I don't like the RJF as NT or DE. I think he is a good back up but I do not see RJF as a stater. So Williams, Hughes, or even I.Williams would be better than RJF to start. I like the the Krueger pick, at least in theory, the kicker, and the Sanders pick. I don't think Ginn will be with us next season.

Thanks for putting your draft out there for us to think about.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
We don't know that. Derek Wolfe was a similar type of talent last year (and even slightly bigger) and he lasted until pick #36. There's some pretty good 3-4 DEs in front of Jones this year so it's not unrealistic. But it's way too early to be splitting those hairs right now since we still have a long way to go in this process. Was just having a little fun with this mock.

I know. The way Datone Jones is being talked up as having an elite 3 and 5 tech , you'd assume he goes high.

Derek Wolfe didn't have that skillset, but he was 20 lbs heavier.

it was also a deep Dat draft last year, and we inexplicably passed on a ton of prospects. That was my only real critique of Baalke last year. We even passed on crick after he dropped 3 rounds
Really like the mock. A few things:

Dixon will more than likely be an Eagle last year (similar to Josh Johnson/Harbaugh this offseason). Plus I heard Tyrod Taylor was playing Kaep in Ravens practices. Idk though.

I'd be happy with the Jones, Kruger, and Ace Sanders picks the most. Definitely need the DL help and Sanders could be our Mike Wallace type WR. If anything, he turns into a Dante Hall type which is still okay with me.

Hope we resign Moss, think he's been as valuable off the field as on.

Can you tell me more about Terron Armstead? Seems intriguing.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I have red flags on two of your picks.

Montori Hughes

Tennessee suspended Hughes for one game in 2010, from spring practice in 2011, and finally kicked him off the team in 2011.
There are questions about his motivation and drive.

I would not use a third round pick on him.

Armonty Bryant

Pleaded no contest to charges of felonious distribution of marijuana.
Given a five deferred sentence and the charges will be expunged from the record if he stays out of trouble.

He was suspended indefinitely. That suspension became a three game suspension and his coached spoke up for him.
He played well on his return.

There is some risk, but I do feel using a fifth round pick on him is reasonable.
[ Edited by buck on Jan 30, 2013 at 7:16 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nickbradley:

I saw nothing in Ghost's mock that talked about Datone Jones being good at both the 3 and 5 technique.

Originally posted by Travisty13:
Really like the mock. A few things:

Dixon will more than likely be an Eagle last year (similar to Josh Johnson/Harbaugh this offseason). Plus I heard Tyrod Taylor was playing Kaep in Ravens practices. Idk though.

I'd be happy with the Jones, Kruger, and Ace Sanders picks the most. Definitely need the DL help and Sanders could be our Mike Wallace type WR. If anything, he turns into a Dante Hall type which is still okay with me.

Hope we resign Moss, think he's been as valuable off the field as on.

Can you tell me more about Terron Armstead? Seems intriguing.

I hope we re-sign Moss too, but the way he was speaking this week it doesn't sound like he wants to be back.

A few comments about Armstead from his bowl game practices:

Terron Armstead, OT, Arkansas-Pine Bluff: The small school left tackle looked fluid in his kick step much of the day and didn't allow defenders to get into his body. He seemed to show adequate strength when defensive ends tried to bull rush him and was able to fan some of the pass rushers wide in drills. I don't know if Armstead will be a starting left tackle in the NFL, but for teams looking for a swing tackle he could be a very interesting player. Armstead might be a candidate to kick inside and work as a pulling guard as well.

01/24/13 - 2013 SENIOR BOWL, WEDNESDAY RISER: OT Terron Armstead, Arkansas-Pine Bluff (South Team)...A standout at the Shrine Game in St. Petersburg last week, Armstead was an injury replacement for Dallas Thomas and didn't look out of place in Mobile. He had a tough start on Wednesday with some ugly reps in one-on-one drills, but he recovered and improved throughout practice, finishing strong and earning some praise from coaches. Lining up at left tackle, Armstead doesn't have ideal length or power to hold up on the edge, but he showed good feet to mirror and stay aggressive with rushers. With his momentum the last two weeks, Armstead looks like one of this year's top small-school prospects. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

01/18/13 - 2013 SHRINE GAME PRACTICE RISERS: 2. OT Terron Armstead, Arkansas-Pine Bluff (6050, 304 -- East Team)...While the quarterbacks haven't been impressive, either, the offensive line group might be the weakest unit at this year's Shrine Game. But Armstead played better than expected at left tackle with the feet and athleticism to hold up against edge rushers, using his wingspan (81 1/2") to corral defenders. He doesn't have elite upper or lower body strength for the position, but he didn't make many mistakes in practice and looked comfortable with whatever was thrown at him. Believed to be a solid third-day selection entering the week, Armstead's draft stock is on the rise. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

The NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah tweeted Arkansas-Pine Bluff T Terron Armstead "made himself a lot of money" during the East-West Shrine week.
Armstead was easily the best offensive lineman during the week of practice and may have earned himself a call up to the Senior Bowl if any injuries occur. His upper body can be jolted, but Armstead's lower body is athletic enough to anchor and redirect momentum. We would like to see him take some snaps at guard because of his exceptional mobility when pulling. Jan 20 - 1:43 PM
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Generally don't like or read 'Mocks", but since it was you Ghost, I read it...and hey who knew, I like it! Nice post!

Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by stonecold590:
Dixon will be going to the Eagles.

Agree

I removed Dixon (unfortunately) and replaced him with Josh Johnson.
Ghost. I admit that I dont know all of the players on the Lines other than what Ive read. Having said that.. NFL DraftScout would think you are reaching on several picks. Have you seen a lot of these players? I respect that site more than most but they seem to have a far different opinion on these two players.

Joe Kruger - you have him 3rd..... NFL Draftscout has him 7th Rd-FA
Montori Hughes - you have him in 3rd.. NFL Draftscout has him 5th=6th rd
Instead of another retread QB, how about some Matt Scott action in the draft? I'd like to see the 49ers add one quarterback with top athleticism in the later rounds to hopefully develop for a couple of seasons and see what results.
Share 49ersWebzone