LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 269 users in the forums

Post-Senior Bowl 7-round 49ers mock draft

Just to let you know Mario Manningham isn't going anywhere. We have him locked through 2013
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
I used to do mocks every year and then I realized how much time in my life I was wasting. Now I just read what others waste their time coming up with. This is comparable to looking up in the sky and guessing which star's solar system has life in it.

Are you trying to be a jerk? Or is it a natural impulse...
Thanks for your efforts. Here are some of my thoughts. Cave was a disaster at the Senior Bowl. He flat out was a turnstile all week long. Cornelius Washington going to go much earlier. I project a Late third. Sold Senior Bowl week. Heavy hands and violent bull rush. A lot to like for GMs.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Thanks for your efforts. Here are some of my thoughts. Cave was a disaster at the Senior Bowl. He flat out was a turnstile all week long. Cornelius Washington going to go much earlier. I project a Late third. Sold Senior Bowl week. Heavy hands and violent bull rush. A lot to like for GMs.

Don't put too much emphasis on the senior bowl. Russell Wilson had a terrible one. Also, I've got this guy in the late 5th.

Washington is a 6th or 7th rounder on most boards. If he is flying up the boards I stand corrected
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Don't put too much emphasis on the senior bowl. Russell Wilson had a terrible one. Also, I've got this guy in the late 5th.

Washington is a 6th or 7th rounder on most boards. If he is flying up the boards I stand corrected

Its not just the Senior Bowl, he was terrible most of the year, looked like a world-beater against mediocre talent, got absolutely crushed by some of the top defensive lineman, he's an awful prospect at this point.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Not crazy about this draft Nick. I just dont see the wisdom of drafting a WR in both rd 2 and rd 3 when the Niners have other needs. You basically neglect CB and OLB totally (I dont count 7th rd picks as really addressing the position) .

The weakest positional groups, without question, are WRs and defensive line
- you wouldn't take woods in the late 2nd? Rogers isn't BPA?
- CB is extremely deep.

i kinda see what youre saying if we're going by what you said at the top. If Moss retires and Ham,Williams arnt ready, we have no true number 2 reciever. I dont see Ginn getting resigned. So that would leave us with Crabs and AJ and maybe Lockette so regardless of if Moss retires or not, which I feel he wont, we're gonna draft someone to replace Ginn. And that reciever will most likely be a playmaker or a Big RZ target type.
I agree with Ninerjohn on the Cb thing though. Id place the a higher priority on drafting Roger's successor than drafting Whitners. The talent for safeties is deep than the talent for CBs if you ask me so you can afford to wait longer and Rogers gets burned and picked on. Much rather draft then sign a FA. If Cox and Brock get resigned, they'll be battling for a roster spot during pre-season.
Also I wouldnt necessarily say that WR is a "weak positon". Our guys are injured, Ginn sucks, and Jenkins is learning. But ive noticed that Kap raises the level of play, noticed Crabtree and when Williams and Ham get back healthy, they'll make plays too. Id say the TE position is weaker than the WR though so why not draft one of these TEs with that 3rd or even the 2nd? Someone who will push Walker,assuming he gets re-signed, for the #2 spot. Im sure Ertz will end up a niner somehow since I heard they were interested in him. Even though I say that, I would love to have a guy similar to Torrey Smith on our team. Somebody that just blows the tops off of defenses and just makes big plays possible. We're a good blocking team so we rack up alot of YAC which means thats not much of a need, but it does make life easier. Though, Ive seen KW do this on many occasions so maybe it wouldnt really be a draft need.

These arnt in any type of order. im just listing:
  • Soap and Smith are aging so we address DL/DT.
  • Productive TEs are good for developing young QBs so we draft one to compliment VD
  • WR
  • A #4 CB that can keep up with shifty recievers so rogers can stop getting burned for big plays
  • Back-up safety for Goldson

All areas that can be addressed with quality players w/o even making it out of the 4th Rd.
Overall, we're in a good position to get some quality players and it all depends on who's there and who's not there.
[ Edited by martysofresh on Jan 29, 2013 at 12:45 AM ]
Originally posted by martysofresh:
i kinda see what youre saying if we're going by what you said at the top. If Moss retires and Ham,Williams arnt ready, we have no true number 2 reciever. I dont see Ginn getting resigned. So that would leave us with Crabs and AJ and maybe Lockette so regardless of if Moss retires or not, which I feel he wont, we're gonna draft someone to replace Ginn. And that reciever will most likely be a playmaker or a Big RZ target type.
I agree with Ninerjohn on the Cb thing though. Id place the a higher priority on drafting Roger's successor than drafting Whitners. The talent for safeties is deep than the talent for CBs if you ask me so you can afford to wait longer and Rogers gets burned and picked on. Much rather draft then sign a FA. If Cox and Brock get resigned, they'll be battling for a roster spot during pre-season.
Also I wouldnt necessarily say that WR is a "weak positon". Our guys are injured, Ginn sucks, and Jenkins is learning. But ive noticed that Kap raises the level of play, noticed Crabtree and when Williams and Ham get back healthy, they'll make plays too. Id say the TE position is weaker than the WR though so why not draft one of these TEs with that 3rd or even the 2nd? Someone who will push Walker,assuming he gets re-signed, for the #2 spot. Im sure Ertz will end up a niner somehow since I heard they were interested in him. Even though I say that, I would love to have a guy similar to Torrey Smith on our team. Somebody that just blows the tops off of defenses and just makes big plays possible. We're a good blocking team so we rack up alot of YAC which means thats not much of a need, but it does make life easier. Though, Ive seen KW do this on many occasions so maybe it wouldnt really be a draft need.

These arnt in any type of order. im just listing:
  • Soap and Smith are aging so we address DL/DT.
  • Productive TEs are good for developing young QBs so we draft one to compliment VD
  • WR
  • A #4 CB that can keep up with shifty recievers so rogers can stop getting burned for big plays
  • Back-up safety for Goldson

All areas that can be addressed with quality players w/o even making it out of the 4th Rd.
Overall, we're in a good position to get some quality players and it all depends on who's there and who's not there.

All good points.

first, I just see CB as a 2014 draft priority instead of a 2013 priority. Perrish Cox is on a two year contract, so no re signing necessary. Rogers and Culliver are signed long term, so even if you lose Brown, Cully moves to starting CB and Cox goes to nickel (he'd have to be resigned too, but that's not an issue).

I've not been a fan of delanie walker, as many know, but I think his role as an h back is *critical to how the offense functions, esp. Since we've implemented the pistol.

We have no DL depth, its almost reckless that Baalke drafted zero D linemen last year. Huge gamble.

Williams will be 100% by training camp, maybe even OTAs, from what I'm hearing. Manningham won't be. It's an ACL and PCL, so rehab is a bit trickier. Highly likely to be on the PUP list come September, and free agency after the season. Injury settlement possible. I'd love to bring moss back, but that still means two WR picks
Share 49ersWebzone