LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 294 users in the forums

MadDog's Post Senior Bowl Big 100 Board

Originally posted by jacklegniner:
MadDog or Phoenix or any other draft nut:

I''ll pick your brain a little... In other threads I've been talking about finding a Haloti Ngata type NT in the draft. It doesn't seem that there is that type of guy although I do like Jenkins from Georgia. I want more consistent pressure on the opposing QB so our D can get more sacks and more INT's. That's made me look at DE's for the draft but it's difficult to decide which DE's can play in a 3-4 D. I think we can trade whatever to move up or down to get the guy we want so that doesn't bother me. I read a lot last night about guys like Sam Montgomery, Dion Jordan, Sheldon Richardson sounds great but would he fit our D? and then Margus Hunt. You have Hunt at 77 right now. From what I've read he sounds good. I kind of thought he might move up the draft board as well. Any thoughts on the guys I've mentioned or other players that might fit our DE/ NT situation?

Others have answered this question well. I'll elaborate. From a measurement stand point you want 6'3 ish with long arms. He need to be able to pop off blocks without leaning to much. It doesnt matter how heavy he is but he cant be to small or he will get pushed off the ball by the guard. This is why hunt is more suited for 4-3 AT THIS POINT for a 4-3 edge rusher but if hes can still gain 10pds at 26 he has the explosiveness. Dion jordan and montogomery are to small. I could be wrong but i think they're both under 260. Better suited as tweener OLB. the attribute i value most in a DE is his gap pressure. If you watch much film pay attention to how often the DE is single blocked. If he can bust through his gap creating instant pressure thats a good sign. Also watch how they handle double teams. You want somebody who can pop off the blocks and not get blocked out of the play.
Thanks MD. Great work. I love reading your stuff.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I think there is a place in this league for ND's Lewis Kapron-Moore, even though he will be a late rounder.

Is Kapron-Lewis going to be able to work out at the combine?

My guess would be no, but not sure since he was invited.

No, LKM is likely there for the interviews, the measureables and possibly bench press. I like him as a late 6th/early 7th round pick to placed on the PuP and developed over time.
Any thoughts on David Bass as a Dlineman?
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
MadDog or Phoenix or any other draft nut:

I''ll pick your brain a little... In other threads I've been talking about finding a Haloti Ngata type NT in the draft. It doesn't seem that there is that type of guy although I do like Jenkins from Georgia. I want more consistent pressure on the opposing QB so our D can get more sacks and more INT's. That's made me look at DE's for the draft but it's difficult to decide which DE's can play in a 3-4 D. I think we can trade whatever to move up or down to get the guy we want so that doesn't bother me. I read a lot last night about guys like Sam Montgomery, Dion Jordan, Sheldon Richardson sounds great but would he fit our D? and then Margus Hunt. You have Hunt at 77 right now. From what I've read he sounds good. I kind of thought he might move up the draft board as well. Any thoughts on the guys I've mentioned or other players that might fit our DE/ NT situation?

No Ngatas or Watts in this class. But, guys like Richardson are intriguing prospects, but he will be long gone. Jesse Wiiliams is versatile as a DE or NT. You really want your DEs in the 34 to be 6'3"+, with long arms. So, some of the stumpier fire hydrants are more geared toward the 43 defense. Montgomery and Jordan would play the OLB in the 34.

As for Hunt, you have a tall and long player who is a 43 DE exclusively right now. Way too thn to play the 34 DE position. Looked bad during Senior Bowl week and will be 26 next year. Gholston of Michigan State is a great looking prospect as a third rounder but is inconsistent. I think there is a place in this league for ND's Lewis Kapron-Moore, even though he will be a late rounder.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Niners make a run at KC's Tyson Jackson after he is cut, as long as the number is reasonable.
Well crap! I keep getting more and more disappointed every time I look at this draft. I expect for Baalke to still make a good move but I'm not too excited about the prospects right now.

On the other hand, I glad to hear you mention Tyson Jackson! I mentioned him in another thread. Glen Dorsey is a free agent and will probably be too expensive and better suited for the 4-3 D. But Jackson is not a free agent so he will need to be cut or traded.

As far as prospects go, if I give up on a DE or NT, what positions should I look for: I'be considered Safety (Elam or Verraco), multiple wr's, TE if we lose Walker to FA, etc...
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Any thoughts on David Bass as a Dlineman?

Looked sharp at the Shine Game and practices. Quick around the end. Looks rangy to me, with the ability to play in retreat. Right in that 4th round area right now, but could slide up. Intriguing prospect as a 34 OLB.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
No, LKM is likely there for the interviews, the measureables and possibly bench press. I like him as a late 6th/early 7th round pick to placed on the PuP and developed over time.

Exactly. He's interviewing, getting to know coaches and GMs. Smart move since they will not be able to see him work out before the draft. I still think someone is going to draft him and as y state, put him on PUP to start the season.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Exactly. He's interviewing, getting to know coaches and GMs. Smart move since they will not be able to see him work out before the draft. I still think someone is going to draft him and as y state, put him on PUP to start the season.

I agree. He has good size and had decent production. .

Last year he had 6 sacks 8.5 TFL and 40 tackles.

I think that he played DE at Notre Dame, and I pretty sure they play a 3-4 defense.
Why has nobody mentioned Star Lotulelei as a possible successor to Smith? If by some miracle we could trade up high enough for him he could start at nose tackle and be groomed by Justin Smith, then possibly move outside or stay at NT. He, Smith and Mcdonald could all interchange themselves all across the line with Aldon and Brooks. Sounds beastly to me. Maybe it's worth going all in with our draft picks on somebody who could actually start on our squad...
Originally posted by boooby:
Why has nobody mentioned Star Lotulelei as a possible successor to Smith? If by some miracle we could trade up high enough for him he could start at nose tackle and be groomed by Justin Smith, then possibly move outside or stay at NT. He, Smith and Mcdonald could all interchange themselves all across the line with Aldon and Brooks. Sounds beastly to me. Maybe it's worth going all in with our draft picks on somebody who could actually start on our squad...

It is highly unlikely that Star drops below 5, and that is simply too far of a jump from 31. It would cost the team a couple first rounders and more compensation

Originally posted by boooby:

It is highly unlikely that Star drops below 5, and that is simply too far of a jump from 31. It would cost the team a couple first rounders and more compensation

Yep. That is worth it for a franchise QB but not for a DL unless that player is an incredible pass rusher.
MD,
Do you think you can do a big board per position? You draft guys really need to get together with Webby or some other programmer and get a website started or a Webzone Official Draft Website that includes updates, rising stocks and mock drafts.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
MadDog what position do you think the 49ers would most likely use their first round pick on? I think it's a DL or DB.
Originally posted by Joecool:
MD,
Do you think you can do a big board per position? You draft guys really need to get together with Webby or some other programmer and get a website started or a Webzone Official Draft Website that includes updates, rising stocks and mock drafts.

Good idea. I usually list position rankings on request, but rarely put up all positions on a site, due to time limitations. Will do so this year if time allows
Originally posted by GORO:
MadDog what position do you think the 49ers would most likely use their first round pick on? I think it's a DL or DB.

I think DB, but wouldn't be surprised to see DL, TE, WR, RB. So much depends on free agency. I think the next month we will get a better idea.
Share 49ersWebzone