LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 254 users in the forums

MadDog's Post Senior Bowl Big 100 Board

• DVDA
  • Veteran
What are your thoughts on Ray Holley, La Tech? To me, he looks exactly like Kendall Hunter running the ball with his quickness and decisiveness. He'd be a great guy to get for the practice squad. If he can put on 15 pounds, he could eventually be a Frank Gore type of grinder.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Butter:
Dashon Goldson had 3 INTs and Whitner had 1 this year.

The top teams in the NFL had 20 INT's this year. The bottom teams had less then 10. The Niners had 8. With the Niners abitlity to bottle up the run and pressure the QB, that number is way too low.

The Niners will surely draft secondary, and I'd be surprised if it does not happen with a first or second day selection. Deep safety class. Deep corner class.

The draft this year is deep in or areas of need. D Line and Secondary.....If we could land a pass rusher and a big wide out we'd be set. Package the picks and move up early and move back late to pick up picks next year so we have 10 or so picks next year aswell
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Might be. The WR position, along with QB, might be the most fluid position in the draft. You have a big number of underclassmen who could become first rounders or fourth rounders. The combine and campus workouts are going to make or break their wallets soon. A lot riding on very little.

ESPN had a good article today comparing him to Boldin in terms of being very physical, tough and using his body well to catch passes.

who are you talking about--darick rogers

i see niners maybe looking to free agency for help at the receiver position,,,as aj jenkins shows receivers usually take a while to get acclimated to the pro game
MadDog or Phoenix or any other draft nut:

I''ll pick your brain a little... In other threads I've been talking about finding a Haloti Ngata type NT in the draft. It doesn't seem that there is that type of guy although I do like Jenkins from Georgia. I want more consistent pressure on the opposing QB so our D can get more sacks and more INT's. That's made me look at DE's for the draft but it's difficult to decide which DE's can play in a 3-4 D. I think we can trade whatever to move up or down to get the guy we want so that doesn't bother me. I read a lot last night about guys like Sam Montgomery, Dion Jordan, Sheldon Richardson sounds great but would he fit our D? and then Margus Hunt. You have Hunt at 77 right now. From what I've read he sounds good. I kind of thought he might move up the draft board as well. Any thoughts on the guys I've mentioned or other players that might fit our DE/ NT situation?
With the uncertainty of Hunter and Gore's age, i am intrigued by Lattimore. Where is he slotted to go?
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
With the uncertainty of Hunter and Gore's age, i am intrigued by Lattimore. Where is he slotted to go?

Hunter is 24...do you mean his injury?
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Hunter is 24...do you mean his injury?

Yes, Hunters injury and Gore's age. I think Gore will have another good year, i am just worried about Hunter. If Lattimore is good to go, might be hard to pass up if he slides.
Originally posted by hofer36:

i see niners maybe looking to free agency for help at the receiver position,,,as aj jenkins shows receivers usually take a while to get acclimated to the pro game

Such as Julio Jones

I hate absolutes, the idea that you won't pick someone because "history shows...." Jenkins was a major anomaly as most other rookie WR's contributed to their teams to some degree. TY Hilton of the Colts happened to be a HUGE contributor. Rather than looking at trends, look at the individual player, also look at the team's flexibility with the salary cap(they have little). You can go out shopping for a WR and pick up some random #3 or #4 WR or you can draft a guy that obviously will have to develop, but will be able to contribute from the get-go and has a high ceiling.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:

I''ll pick your brain a little... In other threads I've been talking about finding a Haloti Ngata type NT in the draft. It doesn't seem that there is that type of guy although I do like Jenkins from Georgia. I want more consistent pressure on the opposing QB so our D can get more sacks and more INT's. That's made me look at DE's for the draft but it's difficult to decide which DE's can play in a 3-4 D. I think we can trade whatever to move up or down to get the guy we want so that doesn't bother me. I read a lot last night about guys like Sam Montgomery, Dion Jordan, Sheldon Richardson sounds great but would he fit our D? and then Margus Hunt. You have Hunt at 77 right now. From what I've read he sounds good. I kind of thought he might move up the draft board as well. Any thoughts on the guys I've mentioned or other players that might fit our DE/ NT situation?

Sheldon Richardson IMO is the top 3-4 DE in the draft. I can't see him being anything but successful assuming he plays in the right system with proper coaching. He has a monstrous motor and explodes off the ball with a terrific first step, has excellent pursuit skills as well. If the 49ers were to trade up for a defensive lineman, I'd be thrilled for it to be Richardson.

As far as finding another Ngata, I just don't see it, the same combination of size, athletic ability and the versatility to play across the defensive line is incredibly rare. There's a variety of talents out there, but none with the same versatility. Jenkins and Jesse Williams both have played NT and DE in 3-4 systems in college, they have surprising athleticism for their respective sizes but they also come with certain downsides as well. The upside on both of them is that they are individually too strong to be held back by a single blocker, either will knock the opposing offensive lineman backwards when being blocked 1-1.

Personally, I'd be happy with just that, having an NT that draws a double team, as well as Justin drawing double teams, opposing quarterbacks would end up running for their lives because there's only so many people you can block if you devote multiple blockers to two players.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
for you draft nerds, is this a talented AND deep draft? If so, maybe we should keep all 14 picks

The top level talent is way down compared to the past couple of years. However, there are a lot of quality corners and tight ends, a pretty decent class of receivers. The value, to me, is in the middle rounds.

Originally posted by jacklegniner:

No Ngatas or Watts in this class. But, guys like Richardson are intriguing prospects, but he will be long gone. Jesse Wiiliams is versatile as a DE or NT. You really want your DEs in the 34 to be 6'3"+, with long arms. So, some of the stumpier fire hydrants are more geared toward the 43 defense. Montgomery and Jordan would play the OLB in the 34.

As for Hunt, you have a tall and long player who is a 43 DE exclusively right now. Way too thn to play the 34 DE position. Looked bad during Senior Bowl week and will be 26 next year. Gholston of Michigan State is a great looking prospect as a third rounder but is inconsistent. I think there is a place in this league for ND's Lewis Kapron-Moore, even though he will be a late rounder.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Niners make a run at KC's Tyson Jackson after he is cut, as long as the number is reasonable.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Feb 10, 2013 at 6:29 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by hofer36:

Such as Julio Jones

I hate absolutes, the idea that you won't pick someone because "history shows...." Jenkins was a major anomaly as most other rookie WR's contributed to their teams to some degree. TY Hilton of the Colts happened to be a HUGE contributor. Rather than looking at trends, look at the individual player, also look at the team's flexibility with the salary cap(they have little). You can go out shopping for a WR and pick up some random #3 or #4 WR or you can draft a guy that obviously will have to develop, but will be able to contribute from the get-go and has a high ceiling.

IF julio jones was a free agent id hope the niners would go after him--he is the real deal

I hate absolutes too but saying that receivers generally take a season or two to adjust to the game isnt an absolute it is a generalization founded by past history
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DVDA:
What are your thoughts on Ray Holley, La Tech? To me, he looks exactly like Kendall Hunter running the ball with his quickness and decisiveness. He'd be a great guy to get for the practice squad. If he can put on 15 pounds, he could eventually be a Frank Gore type of grinder.

No thoughts?
Originally posted by DVDA:

Got a lot of strikes against him. Maybe 5'7" tall...maybe. Wrecked his back a couple seasons ago, so Medicals will be huge. Does add return ability. I think the team looks another direction for a workhorse back, a 220 pound, between the tackle runner. Think Of a player like Rex Burkhead.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I think there is a place in this league for ND's Lewis Kapron-Moore, even though he will be a late rounder.

Is Kapron-Lewis going to be able to work out at the combine?

My guess would be no, but not sure since he was invited.
Share 49ersWebzone