LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 206 users in the forums

MadDog's Post Senior Bowl Big 100 Board

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
How about Nick Florence from Baylor? He ran the read option very well as the successor to RG3........

He is another that really fits the bill.
Originally posted by vrabbit:
there seems to be a significant gap between your #1 WR (Keenan Allen) and the rest of the WR's in this draft, is that because of where you think they'll be picked?

Need and lack of star power on the top end. So many early entries with big question marks. Skeptical someone jumps up.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
MD, based on your board, if the niners don't trade up or down, who would your 4 picks in the first 3 rounds be? In your perfect scenario, do we trade up/down?
I'd love to see the team move up to get Trufant, or Datone Jones. If down, maybe to target Jordan Poyer or Quinton Patton. I really like Jonathan Cyprien in the mid-late second as our future SS.

I just dont see safety as a position we should use a 2nd rd pick on. DL, CB, WR should be the focus in my opinion with the first few picks.
MD, based on your board, if the niners don't trade up or down, who would your 4 picks in the first 3 rounds be? In your perfect scenario, do we trade up/down?
I'd love to see the team move up to get Trufant, or Datone Jones. If down, maybe to target Jordan Poyer or Quinton Patton. I really like Jonathan Cyprien in the mid-late second as our future SS.

Surprised that we'd have to trade up for those guys, and they wouldn't just be available at our pick. Thanks for the response!
maddog,

which round do you think tyrann matheiu will be drafted?

and do you think we should take a chance on the kid?

Originally posted by TlSSER:
maddog,

which round do you think tyrann matheiu will be drafted?

and do you think we should take a chance on the kid?

Really depends how he works out, and better, how he answers questions at the combine. I think he ends up being a fourth rounder, since he carries quite a risk. He is a mediocre defender, but a terrific special teamer, so that kind of fits the third day draftees.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jan 30, 2013 at 9:27 AM ]
Maddog:
Can you construct a 49ers draft board? By this I mean can we basically eliminate all of the players that the Niners would not draft, character issues, don't like hitting, don't fit our scheme, etc, so that we can narrow down the pool of players to those who realistically can play for the Niners? Thanks for all that you do for the board.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Maddog:
Can you construct a 49ers draft board? By this I mean can we basically eliminate all of the players that the Niners would not draft, character issues, don't like hitting, don't fit our scheme, etc, so that we can narrow down the pool of players to those who realistically can play for the Niners? Thanks for all that you do for the board.

I will be doing that pretty soon. I typically build two best player available boards, one that is for all teams (top graded), and one that is Niners' based. For instance, last year, I had Bobby Wagner graded as a top twenty pick on my overall board, but on my Niners board, I had him much lower, due to a lack of need for his services.
Yes that is what I am looking for. Thanks. I am trying on another post to do that but I do not know the players very well. Thanks again.
BIGGGG BOOOAAARRRDDDD

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
How about Nick Florence from Baylor? He ran the read option very well as the successor to RG3........

I've seen Nick play at Baylor, and he'll probably go undrafted. Maybe 7th round if the spread option QB hype is still going and considering the quarterback class is really bad. While he's reasonably athletic, size and arm strength are issues (see the game against TCU) where his inability to hit receivers in stride and lead them correctly lead to interceptions. He seems to have been more of a product of Briles' system and a good supporting cast on offense, but he did have some nice performances against Texas Tech and UCLA. At best I can see him being like Christian Ponder, at worst a poor man's Scott Tolzien.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I just dont see safety as a position we should use a 2nd rd pick on. DL, CB, WR should be the focus in my opinion with the first few picks.

Don't see Niners taking that kind of approach. The roster is talented and best thing to do is take the BPA. Outside of ILBs - we need players everywhere for depth. Maybe...OG is another position which has a young starting tandem and couple of guys who were drafted recently and can serve as excellent backups...but that's pretty much it.
[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Feb 3, 2013 at 3:17 AM ]
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Don't see Niners taking that kind of approach. The roster is talented and best thing to do is take the BPA. Outside of ILBs - we need players everywhere for depth. Maybe...OG is another position which has a young starting tandem and couple of guys who were drafted recently and can serve as excellent backups...but that's pretty much it.

Dashon Goldson had 3 INTs and Whitner had 1 this year.

The top teams in the NFL had 20 INT's this year. The bottom teams had less then 10. The Niners had 8. With the Niners abitlity to bottle up the run and pressure the QB, that number is way too low.
Originally posted by Butter:

The top teams in the NFL had 20 INT's this year. The bottom teams had less then 10. The Niners had 8. With the Niners abitlity to bottle up the run and pressure the QB, that number is way too low.

The Niners will surely draft secondary, and I'd be surprised if it does not happen with a first or second day selection. Deep safety class. Deep corner class.
Originally posted by Butter:

The Niners will surely draft secondary, and I'd be surprised if it does not happen with a first or second day selection. Deep safety class. Deep corner class.

You think we trade up since we have 14 picks?
Share 49ersWebzone