LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Niner79's 1st Mock

Trade 31/32 for 38 and 100
Trade Alex Smith for a 3rd Rounder (64?)

2A (38) Kawaan Short-DT-Purdue
2B (62) Corey Lemonier-OLB-Auburn
3A (64) Quinton Patton-WR-LaTech
3B (74) Jordan Reed-TE-Florida
3C (94) EJ Manuel-QB-FSU
4A (100) Terry Hawthorne-CB-ILL
4B (126) Khaled Holmes-C-USC/ Braxston Cave-C-ND
4C (Comp) Dustin Hopkins -K-FSU
5A (165)- AJ Klein- ILB-ISU

I would then use the rest of the picks to look deep at NT, RB, DB and OL.
not a fan of Manuel

Holmes and Cave are the top prospects in a very weak class....rather convert a Guard
Big no on Manuel. If you guys hated the inconsistent play of A Smith...you will HATE manuel
Just dont understand why we would use a valuable 3rd rd pick for a QB. Short is best suited for a 4-3 as well.
Disagree with trading back for more picks when we've got no place to put them.
No thanks on Short, he's a 4-3 DT, has no place in this system.

No thanks on Manuel, rather would take Matt Scott in the late 4th or 5th round.

Pass on Braxton Cave, he basically got his s**t pushed in all week at the Senior Bowl and got beat by top competition all season long. He looks like a late 5th or 6th rounder right now, just completely fell apart.
Originally posted by sspiker:
Disagree with trading back for more picks when we've got no place to put them.

Why do people keep saying this?

These are the possible 49ers that could be gone next season.

Alex
Brock
Walker
Akers
Soap
RJF
Moss
L. Davis
Larry Grant

This also doesn't include guys who may potentially be released such as Haralson and Goodwin, nor does it include the possibility of Goldson not being re-signed.
Phoenix, in every thread where Kawann's name is brought up, you are quite certain that he'd be a bad fit, only suited for a 4-3,etc. How much have you watched Kawann play?
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Phoenix, in every thread where Kawann's name is brought up, you are quite certain that he'd be a bad fit, only suited for a 4-3,etc. How much have you watched Kawann play?

Am I saying something wildly outrageous? Its no different than what many others are saying, he's a great fit playing inside, of questionable value on the outside. Just because he played on the outside in some packages at Purdue doesn't mean that is his best fit at the pro level. Just because you can drive a car with your feet, doesn't make it a good idea. Its when teams start trying to get cute and draft guys who don't fit their system that busts happen.

This place has been going nuts with trying to push every single defensive lineman around 300 pounds as a 3-4 DE, even if its just not true. He's not a 3-4 DE in the slightest, I think a lot of this comes from desperation to find a replacement for Justin Smith, the bottomline is that this is just a piss poor year for 3-4 DE's. Drafting a guy because he's big and looks good in another system is a recipe for disaster. Short is a prototypical 3 technique, built to play on the inside.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 27, 2013 at 8:04 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Am I saying something wildly outrageous? Its no different than what many others are saying, he's a great fit playing inside, of questionable value on the outside. Just because he played on the outside in some packages at Purdue doesn't mean that is his best fit at the pro level. Just because you can drive a car with your feet, doesn't make it a good idea.

This place has been going nuts with trying to push every single defensive lineman around 300 pounds as a 3-4 DE, even if its just not true. He's not a 3-4 DE in the slightest, I think a lot of this comes from desperation to find a replacement for Justin Smith, the bottomline is that this is just a piss poor year for 3-4 DE's. Drafting a guy because he's big and looks good in another system is a recipe for disaster. Short is a prototypical 3 technique, built to play on the inside.

Im not one of the jump on any big guy bandwagon guys (Hunt is overrated imo). I've read quite a lot of people saying he could easily play End in a 3-4. To stop him you have to double him, just like Justin, which leaves Aldon to do his thing. I've watched probably 85% of Kawann's games and I'm telling you, he can easily play End. In another thread I mentioned, I stated he was very similar in play to Corey Liuget of the Chargers, and it's worked out great for them. My question was, are you just reading he wouldn't be a good End or have you seen him play?

Im not one of the jump on any big guy bandwagon guys (Hunt is overrated imo). I've read quite a lot of people saying he could easily play End in a 3-4. To stop him you have to double him, just like Justin, which leaves Aldon to do his thing. I've watched probably 85% of Kawann's games and I'm telling you, he can easily play End. In another thread I mentioned, I stated he was very similar in play to Corey Liuget of the Chargers, and it's worked out great for them. My question was, are you just reading he wouldn't be a good End or have you seen him play?

So let me get this straight, you're denying a guy that virtually everyone has slated to play inside as a 4-3 DT, to not be best suited to playing inside as a 4-3 DT? So you're basically advocating the drafting of a player to NOT play him at his best and most natural position?

And yes, I have seen him play, and no I don't think he can get it done on the outside, he lacks the motor and tenacity, I doubt he'll be able to reliably get around the corner against pro level tackles, I think he is significantly more effective playing on the inside and could be a damn good defensive tackle but a mediocre defensive end.

I think Datone Jones is more appropriate as pick in every way, perhaps lacking the tremendous strength of Short but with a more consistent motor, plays relentlessly, continues to attack, has both speed and quickness and is the closest thing to a "Justin Smith" type DE that the 49ers will find late in the 1st round. He's got all the tools to be a dominant player and is a natural fit at the 3-4 DE spot.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 27, 2013 at 8:12 PM ]
Im not going to say Short wouldn't fit into a 3-4 front but I will say he looks great in 4-3 I honestly don't think he will make it to us. With Denver,Atlanta,and Seahawks all needed Dline help.
Jesse Williams is a great 3-4, 5 technique end that will be available near our pick. Everyone is tagging him as an NT, but I think he will start his career at end
Share 49ersWebzone