Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 601 users in the forums

A metric to evaluate front seven players.

Browse 49ers books and videos
I've been using the production ratio.It has its flaws, like not accounting for hurries and not accounting for quality opponents or the type of protection a defensive player is facing (ie double teamed players are going to take a hit).

I think its most useful in watch lists and identifying prospects.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,137
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I've been using the production ratio.It has its flaws, like not accounting for hurries and not accounting for quality opponents or the type of protection a defensive player is facing (ie double teamed players are going to take a hit).

I think its most useful in watch lists and identifying prospects.


I added in quarterback hurries and blocks in my numbers.

I agree it is only one tool.
Yes double teams, hurries, throws blocked are all things that should be taken into account. I don't know if quality of opponent is quantifiable unless you rationalize win-loss record.
Also i think tackles are important because they represent a players abilitu to.cover his gaps which in its simplicity is all the front seven do.
If that metric was absolute then we need to get Brandon Williams, and David Bass
I guess that the competition they played against is also a factor.

Thanks for the post - It is very interesting.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I guess that the competition they played against is also a factor.

Thanks for the post - It is very interesting.

Agreed. Some of the small school guys kill lower tier competition, but may struggle to keep the same numbers against the Division One studs.
I love different metrics used to evaluate players. Anyone can see height and weight, but time after time some players who do not fit the "eye test" from the underwear olympics (combine) have become stud players.

This analysis makes me pause on the zone favorite DT from Florida. It also gives me hope for Darius Fleming from ND who is on PUP>
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I've been using the production ratio.It has its flaws, like not accounting for hurries and not accounting for quality opponents or the type of protection a defensive player is facing (ie double teamed players are going to take a hit).

I think its most useful in watch lists and identifying prospects.


also doesnt account for things like justin smith does to free up aldon smith to get to the qb
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I guess that the competition they played against is also a factor.

Thanks for the post - It is very interesting.

Agreed. Some of the small school guys kill lower tier competition, but may struggle to keep the same numbers against the Division One studs.
But a lot of those guys that KILL the lower level competition end up dominating in the big leagues as well (Ware, Moss, Jared Allen, Jahri Evans, Iupati, Strahan, Larry Allen... the list goes on).
So with all things considered what is the possibility of Brandon Williams, and David Bass being seriously evaluated by the Niners? Are they in the Senior Bowl?
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I've been using the production ratio.It has its flaws, like not accounting for hurries and not accounting for quality opponents or the type of protection a defensive player is facing (ie double teamed players are going to take a hit).

I think its most useful in watch lists and identifying prospects.


also doesnt account for things like justin smith does to free up aldon smith to get to the qb

Was thinking about this as well. These metrics are tools though that have to be taken in the context of the team and situations...level of play, etc. If a NT is given the job of anchoring and is the key to holding the line of scrimmage he will likely have lesser numbers than a NT who is given Carte Blanche to aggressively pursue the QB. Sopoaga gets too little respect in my opinion for being able to hold the middle and take on two blockers, allowing the LBs to make tackles. Or an OLB who has no coverage responsibilities will have greater chances to build numbers.

It might be interesting to take only obvious passing downs versus all other downs and apply the formula.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone