LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

Matt Scott-QB-Arizona

Late 4th to Late 5th round. If the 49ers need another quarterback to develop and one that could replace Kaepernick in a pinch, this guy is a possibility.

He's extremely athletic, has a very strong arm, threat to run or pass, struggles somewhat with his mechanics, hasn't taken many snaps behind center, but he's got good accuracy as a passer and has a lot of potential. He goes about 6'2", 200 pounds, not a very big guy, but tough, hard-working, very intense competitor and possesses good character. He even has tattoo's....

I'm not crazy about them drafting another quarterback but he fits the system far better than a guy like Sorenson who some others have suggested. Since the 49ers wouldn't need him to start anytime soon, if at all, he's a nice prospect to develop and has all the tools to play in a standard offense as well as the pistol and run the read option. Let him sit and watch for 2-3 seasons and see what emerges.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 19, 2013 at 9:29 PM ]
Would be a nice development prospect.
I wouldnt mind seeing him or Colby Cameron. Good developmental guys to give a shot to compete with a vet for the spot behind Tolzein.
I don't think Tolzien can run our offense. So yeah.

If an athletic QB is available in the late fourth round or later, pull the trigger
Get on this bandwagon yo, Kaepernick Jr

Draft this guy in the late 4th round, maybe even 5th, and develop injury insurance for Kaepernick.
I'm with you on this. Rather spend a 5th on a QB than wasting a 3rd. Scott would be my choice as a QB to target in the draft.
I like him as well. I would love to see EJ Manuel under Harbaugh but he will require a higher pick, especially after his Senior Bowl performance.
I just don't think we'll draft another QB. I can see us picking up Josh Johnson again if Alex leaves.
I don't know much about him and this will give me someone else to look at.

I hope we never have to find out if Tholzein can run the team - BUT since JH & coaches see him everyday, my guess is he'd do well. How well - who know?

My gut says we don't go QB in the draft and we pick up one in FA.
QBs I like that we might have a shot at...

1. E.J. Manuel - Big and athletic with a cannon. Battle-tested and started (and won) a lot of games in his career. Had consistency issues, but has a very high ceiling.
Projection from NFLDraftScout.com: 3rd or 4th Round

2. Matt Scott
Projection: 5th Round

3. Jordan Rodgers
Projection: 6th or 7th Round

4. Nick Florence
Projection: 7th Round or UDFA

wouldnt mind him in the 5th
I think Scott might actually rise up the board a bit and go in the 4th. Would be nice pick in round 5 though
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Draft heem
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
QBs I like that we might have a shot at...

1. E.J. Manuel - Big and athletic with a cannon. Battle-tested and started (and won) a lot of games in his career. Had consistency issues, but has a very high ceiling.
Projection from NFLDraftScout.com: 3rd or 4th Round

2. Matt Scott
Projection: 5th Round

3. Jordan Rodgers
Projection: 6th or 7th Round

4. Nick Florence
Projection: 7th Round or UDFA

I'd be happy picking Manuel with the Carolina 3rd or later, Scott with the 49ers 4th pick or later, or Florence undrafted.
I said on another thread that Matt Scott will be a 3rd rd pick - of the 49ers. This kid can sit on the sidelines with a clipboard for at least a year and be just fine. He fits the new system of traditional pocket passer + read/option/pistol.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000148758/article/arizonas-matt-scott-generating-plenty-of-draft-buzz

Share 49ersWebzone