There are 58 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is anyone else skeptical of drafting an NT high?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
What prevents an NT from moving to 3-4 DE? Baltimore does that with Ngata all the time because he has the size and athletic ability to do both. A guy like Jesse Williams could play both roles for example.

Ultimately, the reality of the situation is that a 3-4 defense needs a good NT, there's no getting round it. If you're lacking in that aspect, teams will run it up the gut on you all day long. You can get used to Seattle slamming the ball down this team's throats without one, having the threat of Lynch running up the middle determining what the defense will do and as a result giving Wilson plenty of time to pick the secondary apart in the pocket.

Yes, Ngata is ideal. But he was a top 10 pick
Originally posted by eonblue:
If you guys want a DT instead of a NT we might as well switch to a 4-3 because your basically saying i choose not to draft a replacement for Sopo. Our run d is good but your asking for trouble by relying an aging mcdonald and smith to hold the line. I promise you shariff floyd would not be a starter either. Nor would he b the first choice sub.

I put out a mock draft today and I have us re-signing RJF, drafting Floyd, and drafting (2) developmental NT prospects. That should put us on solid footing for quite a while.

I wish Kentwawn Balmer wasn't such a catastrophic Bust...
Originally posted by nickbradley:

And Justin Smith was Top 5 pick, yet people have no problem mocking his replacement in the Late 20's.

I just think there will be better 3-4 DE prospects next year. Will Sutton will be coming out next year, Aaron Lynch, who looked like a beast at ND but sat out this year could come out next year, Ray Drew of Georgia and many more. This year there's a lot of good prospects if you need a 4-3 DT for the most part.
And Justin Smith was Top 5 pick, yet people have no problem mocking his replacement in the Late 20's.

I just think there will be better 3-4 DE prospects next year. Will Sutton will be coming out next year, Aaron Lynch, who looked like a beast at ND but sat out this year could come out next year, Ray Drew of Georgia and many more. This year there's a lot of good prospects if you need a 4-3 DT for the most part.

I'd rather not delay a player's development by a year.
I would have preferred to draft Derek Wolfe, Kendall Reyes, or Jerel Worthy at #30 last year.

all three were stellar first round prospects that somehow slipped to the second round.
that star guy.

/thread
Exactly. Lots of 4-3 dt. Honestly I dont get this whole idea were going to draft the next Justin Smith. Theres a whole lot mcdonalds but Cowboy wont be replaced this draft. I think drafting DT/DE would be a total waste. I want our first pick to be able to contribute in the first season. TE,NT,WR,CB,S could all contribute. Or i would want another tweener DEOLB and theres a good possibility one falls on us. More than anyting i want us to trade up past Seattle and take the pass rusher they want.
I'd rather not delay a player's development by a year.

Development into what? You draft a guy with limited pass rush ability, generally speaking he's never going to be a very good pass rusher. If you want another Ray McDonald on the other side of the current Ray McDonald then by all means.............
Exactly. Lots of 4-3 dt. Honestly I dont get this whole idea were going to draft the next Justin Smith. Theres a whole lot mcdonalds but Cowboy wont be replaced this draft. I think drafting DT/DE would be a total waste. I want our first pick to be able to contribute in the first season. TE,NT,WR,CB,S could all contribute. Or i would want another tweener DEOLB and theres a good possibility one falls on us. More than anyting i want us to trade up past Seattle and take the pass rusher they want.

I don't get the need to draft a rush LB high.

Aldon is an all pro and Brooks is pretty darn good. Where are you going to find the snaps?

Logic is not allowed in this thread. What the hell are you trying to pull here buddy?

Justin Smith got injured and people are overreacting in typical Webzone fashion.

"OMG, OMG, OMG, WE NEED A 3-4 DE, WHO CARES IF HE'S ANY GOOD OR IS BEST PLACED AS A 5 TECHNIQUE OR COULD ACTUALLY REPLACE JUSTIN, JUST LIKE, GET ONE."

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 19, 2013 at 3:25 PM ]
What prevents an NT from moving to 3-4 DE? Baltimore does that with Ngata all the time because he has the size and athletic ability to do both. A guy like Jesse Williams could play both roles for example.

Ultimately, the reality of the situation is that a 3-4 defense needs a good NT, there's no getting round it. If you're lacking in that aspect, teams will run it up the gut on you all day long. You can get used to Seattle slamming the ball down this team's throats without one, having the threat of Lynch running up the middle determining what the defense will do and as a result giving Wilson plenty of time to pick the secondary apart in the pocket.

top 12.

do your research bud
Development into what? You draft a guy with limited pass rush ability, generally speaking he's never going to be a very good pass rusher. If you want another Ray McDonald on the other side of the current Ray McDonald then by all means.............

interior d linemen tend to take time to develop. That's my point.

I'm not extremely concerned about the ability of our linemen to rush the passer. They're all playing 5 technique in theory.
Logic is not allowed in this thread. What the hell are you trying to pull here buddy?

Justin Smith got injured and people are overreacting in typical Webzone fashion.

"OMG, OMG, OMG, WE NEED A 3-4 DE, WHO CARES IF HE'S ANY GOOD OR IS BEST PLACED AS A 5 TECHNIQUE OR COULD ACTUALLY REPLACE JUSTIN, JUST LIKE, GET ONE."

Give me 5 Ray McDonalds (ideally 10 lbs heavier) that rotate in and out, always fresh, and I'm a happy man.
interior d linemen tend to take time to develop. That's my point.

I'm not extremely concerned about the ability of our linemen to rush the passer. They're all playing 5 technique in theory.

Yet that is not what you're getting out of Justin, who has been able to rush the passer. A standard 5 technique isn't going to give you much more than RJF. You NEED a guy with pass-rush ability and you're not getting that from any of the top 3-4 DE prospects this year aside from Richardson.

If you're going to draft a guy to develop to stop the run and play the 5 technique, you might as well wait until the 4th round and take Steinkuhler, he has a good motor, can stop the run, can't rush the passer either but he won't cost you a 1st round for a developmental prospect.
Give me 5 Ray McDonalds (ideally 10 lbs heavier) that rotate in and out, always fresh, and I'm a happy man.

And the defense will look much as it did against Seattle. You don't have to double-team Ray McDonald, Aldon Smith doesn't get any bonus as a result of playing next to a Ray McDonald, your defense isn't awe-inspiring or dominant with another Ray McDonald. Without Justin Smith, this is a good, but not great defense, without that intense motor and pass-rush coming from his spot, without teams having to double team that spot, this defense is a hell of a lot less threatening.

Without a Justin Smith, the pass rush is mostly non-existent, teams can man up on Aldon, so basically you're going to wind up with a mediocre NT and two average DE's, meaning you'd better have some damn good CB's because otherwise you're going to get lit up.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 19, 2013 at 3:31 PM ]