There are 172 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Other than Kaepernick & LMJ, who was our last succesful 2nd round pick?

Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Baas was a good pick.
In 2009 we used our second round pick to get a 2010 first and took Iupati, does that count?

No. He was a 1st round pick. 2 of them that year. Doesn't matter what we traded in return.

Yeah it was more of a joke. It was a good use of a 2nd round pick though.

Yes it was.
Originally posted by Hitman49:
William Floyd
Jeremy Newberry

William Floyd was the niners 2nd 1st round pick that year
Newberry by far...recently.
need to see a bit more of LMJ before saying putting him in the "safe category". A few games of spot duty isn't a big enough sample, but he is looking promising so far.
LOL the second round curse ended when Baalke became FULL-TIME GM (and not substitute GM using McCloughan's 2010 draft board after the drunk was fired).
Four years between 2001 and 2010--no second round choice due to trade. That puts a team in a hole for 2nd round judgement. If anyone has the energy and time to review what they received for the 2nd round picks they traded perhaps the record would not be quite as bad? Manny Lawson was an OK trade up if memory serves and I liked Baas and Smiley and do not see them as bad choices...just did not keep them during FAcy.

Comparing 2nd to 3rd Rounds during the first decade of this century:

2nd Round (8 Choices)

Engelberger

Webster

Winborn

Adams

Smiley

Spencer

Baas

Rachal

3rd Round (13 Choices)

Carmazzi

Ulbrich

Barlow

Rasheed

Williams

Hamilton

Gore

Snyder

Williams

Hill

Smith (R)

Coffee
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 17, 2013 at 11:15 AM ]
Israel Ifeyani.
Saleem Rasheed!!!

The second round and the third round are my favorite rounds of the draft. The patriots value two 2nd rounders more than a 1st round pick. The salary is more manageable, and you get players with a chip on their shoulder because they felt they should have been first round picks.

Now that the rookie cap gives out 4 year contracts for 1st rounder, their is not that premium 5th and 6th years that the teams used to get for the 1st round. Now all rounds are 4 year deals.

That being said, the Niners drafting in round 2 was atrocious, but they are 2 for 2 under Baalke.

I would trade pick 32 for two seconds this year.
Spencer was good for us, but probably Newberry, he was an all around great Center for us. Sucks he, and former 7th rd pick Eric Heitmann's careers ended due to injuries.
Originally posted by 9erred:
The second round and the third round are my favorite rounds of the draft. The patriots value two 2nd rounders more than a 1st round pick. The salary is more manageable, and you get players with a chip on their shoulder because they felt they should have been first round picks.

Now that the rookie cap gives out 4 year contracts for 1st rounder, their is not that premium 5th and 6th years that the teams used to get for the 1st round. Now all rounds are 4 year deals.

That being said, the Niners drafting in round 2 was atrocious, but they are 2 for 2 under Baalke.

I would trade pick 32 for two seconds this year.

I would be fine going down the 2nd rd and getting a 2014 1st if possible. I love the idea of stock piling if there isn't a guy we can use at our pick.