LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 213 users in the forums

Other than Kaepernick & LMJ, who was our last succesful 2nd round pick?

Seems like we missed in the second round often!

I was trying to think of our past successful 2nd round picks and decided to ask you guys, how have we done in the second round historically? Who is our best 2nd rounder to date?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
taylor Mays
William Floyd
Jeremy Newberry
Having to go back "a few" years to answer this question.

1991 - Ricky Watters
1990 - Eric Davis
1988 - Pierce Holt
1986 - Larry Roberts
1984 - John Frank
1983 - Roger Craig
1981 - Eric Wright
1980 - Keena Turner
Chilo Rachal.
Originally posted by SoCal9er:

1991 - Ricky Watters
1990 - Eric Davis
1988 - Pierce Holt
1986 - Larry Roberts
1984 - John Frank
1983 - Roger Craig
1981 - Eric Wright
1980 - Keena Turner

Jeremy Newberry in 1998 is the last very good 2nd rounder this team has drafted. I would go with Roger Craig as the best.
Baas was a good pick.
In 2009 we used our second round pick to get a 2010 first and took Iupati, does that count?
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Baas was a good pick.
In 2009 we used our second round pick to get a 2010 first and took Iupati, does that count?

Bass couldnt even become a starter until his 5th year with the team. I saw him as a very marginal 2nd rounder
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Baas was a good pick.

Bass couldnt even become a starter until his 5th year with the team. I saw him as a very marginal 2nd rounder

Mostly because of injuries and incompetent coaches. He should have been playing center from the beginning instead of guard then center then guard then center. Harbaugh wanted to keep him but he got a better deal with NYG. I would have rather kept him than signed Goodwinn.
Baas was a good pick.

Baas was solid for us

Baas was a good pick.

Mostly because of injuries and incompetent coaches. He should have been playing center from the beginning instead of guard then center then guard then center. Harbaugh wanted to keep him but he got a better deal with NYG. I would have rather kept him than signed Goodwinn.

Not me. I think Goodwin was an upgrade over David Baas. Regardless, he just didnt have a great career with the Niners.
Baas was a good pick.

Not me. I think Goodwin was an upgrade over David Baas. Regardless, he just didnt have a great career with the Niners.

He did start quite a few games his first few years before becoming a full time starter in 2008.
Originally posted by SoCal9er:

1991 - Ricky Watters
1990 - Eric Davis
1988 - Pierce Holt
1986 - Larry Roberts
1984 - John Frank
1983 - Roger Craig
1981 - Eric Wright
1980 - Keena Turner

Jeremy Newberry in 1998 is the last very good 2nd rounder this team has drafted. I would go with Roger Craig as the best.

John Frank was just about to blow up as the most impressive tight end in the league when he retired to become a Dr. He was a monster blocker and an exceptional pass catcher.
Baas was a good pick.

No. He was a 1st round pick. 2 of them that year. Doesn't matter what we traded in return.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Baas was a good pick.

No. He was a 1st round pick. 2 of them that year. Doesn't matter what we traded in return.

Yeah it was more of a joke. It was a good use of a 2nd round pick though.
Share 49ersWebzone