There are 97 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mel Kipers Mock

Originally posted by MntIdaGold:
Picking 30th???

FU Kiper

We're picking 32nd fool!


THIS!
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
I want either Sharrif or Williams. We need someone else for our aging Dline.

Totally agree here. Floyd and Williams are my two favorites for the DLine that could be availabe at our pick. I would absolutely LOVE if the Niners could get Williams with their first and then use their stockpile of picks to trade back up early into the second and also grab Floyd. That's certainly wishful thinking, but clearly two huge needs. Let Sopoaga walk this year. Let Williams start straight out of the gates and Floyd can be a solid rotation his first year and replace Smith in his second (Smith will be hitting 35 and at the end of a contract.
Originally posted by loyalniner:
Totally agree here. Floyd and Williams are my two favorites for the DLine that could be availabe at our pick. I would absolutely LOVE if the Niners could get Williams with their first and then use their stockpile of picks to trade back up early into the second and also grab Floyd. That's certainly wishful thinking, but clearly two huge needs. Let Sopoaga walk this year. Let Williams start straight out of the gates and Floyd can be a solid rotation his first year and replace Smith in his second (Smith will be hitting 35 and at the end of a contract.


I agree, if we some how could get Floyd and Williams, we would set set on the D- Line for years !!!!
Originally posted by 9erred:
Did you read where I said a head scratcher pick?? I agree, but after last years first round debacle where the commentators yelled out loud "wow" when the niners picked AJ Jenkins and no producers had any game tape to show because no one thought he would be picked on day 1 or day 2 for that matter.

Mark my word, the niners will not go DL (even though I think they should). They will go with a head scratcher Baalke pick. They are 1 for 2 so far, hitting on Aldon and whiffing on AJ Jenkins.

Don't call AJ Jenkins pick a debacle yet. He still can shine. give him the off season, training camp and preseason and see what he can do
Originally posted by trizzil:
Originally posted by 9erred:
Did you read where I said a head scratcher pick?? I agree, but after last years first round debacle where the commentators yelled out loud "wow" when the niners picked AJ Jenkins and no producers had any game tape to show because no one thought he would be picked on day 1 or day 2 for that matter.

Mark my word, the niners will not go DL (even though I think they should). They will go with a head scratcher Baalke pick. They are 1 for 2 so far, hitting on Aldon and whiffing on AJ Jenkins.

Don't call AJ Jenkins pick a debacle yet. He still can shine. give him the off season, training camp and preseason and see what he can do


I am calling a spade a spade. A first round draft pick who has zero catches, is beat out by other WR's to not even make the active list on game day. When he was in you could see the look on Kaepernick face trying to get him to line up in the correct spot.

Then the OC calls a lay up play to get Jenkins his first NFL catch. It is misdirection on 3rd down, AJ sprints to the clear CK7 lays it on his hands and he drops a sure first down.
Trying to predict who Baalke/Harbaugh will take is almost pointless. no one saw Smith or Jenkins coming
Originally posted by 9erred:
Did you read where I said a head scratcher pick?? I agree, but after last years first round debacle where the commentators yelled out loud "wow" when the niners picked AJ Jenkins and no producers had any game tape to show because no one thought he would be picked on day 1 or day 2 for that matter.

Mark my word, the niners will not go DL (even though I think they should). They will go with a head scratcher Baalke pick. They are 1 for 2 so far, hitting on Aldon and whiffing on AJ Jenkins.

That's partially true and partially false. Baalke drafted some head scratchers in 2011 and 2012, but for all three drafts he has been a charge of (I'm giving him 2010), he has always gone with our top need in the first round. If Baalke is true to form, he drafts a DE or NT that gets less press or is a complete unknown.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
What's his motor like? Can he go full-out like Cowboy for 60+ plays?

I like Margus Hunt in the 2nd if he makes it down to us, simply because he has that freak motor. I'm not excited about his age, though.

If you're drafting Hunt, you're likely drafting him in Round 1 or not at all. His workouts are going to push him up the boards, probably early 2nd round range, but possibly further if he really goes HAM in Indy. He's a big question mark, the only 3-4 DE guy that would be available to the 49ers who I can see being a truly dominant player. His age has me wary, but that isn't the biggest issue, he's also plenty raw so it depends how quickly he could become a functional contributor to the team, you don't want to draft a 26 year old who will take 2-3 years to fully develop. :P



Could you imagine how fun it would be to have a 6'8" DE that is repeatedly batting down passes at the line of scrimmage or blocking kicks, he's the same height as Calais Campbell of the Cardinals but arguably more explosive and has the potential to be more dominant.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 19, 2013 at 8:15 PM ]
Originally posted by sachie23:
Trying to predict who Baalke/Harbaugh will take is almost pointless. no one saw Smith or Jenkins coming

(raises hand)

There were quite a few posters on here that brought up Aldon Smith. Most of the people who were upset were in love with Amukamara or Gabbert and freaked out as a result, I thought pass-rusher was a huge need since Lawson had been a bust in that regard. Peterson was my preferred choice, followed by Aldon. I know some on here preferred Watt, which they couldn't have gone wrong with either.


Jenkins on the other hand, I don't know that anyone saw that coming. That caught a lot of folks off-guard, it made sense because he was a receiver, but he definitely wasn't the most popular or well-known choice. I liked him coming out of college but he screwed up when showed up to training camp out of shape, that was not a good start to his career.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by 9erred:
Did you read where I said a head scratcher pick?? I agree, but after last years first round debacle where the commentators yelled out loud "wow" when the niners picked AJ Jenkins and no producers had any game tape to show because no one thought he would be picked on day 1 or day 2 for that matter.

Mark my word, the niners will not go DL (even though I think they should). They will go with a head scratcher Baalke pick. They are 1 for 2 so far, hitting on Aldon and whiffing on AJ Jenkins.

That's partially true and partially false. Baalke drafted some head scratchers in 2011 and 2012, but for all three drafts he has been a charge of (I'm giving him 2010), he has always gone with our top need in the first round. If Baalke is true to form, he drafts a DE or NT that gets less press or is a complete unknown.

Baalke has done a great job as GM. His bad pick(s) were most likely later round guys, Ronald Johnson didn't do anything for us, not even making the p-squad. But overall 2011 and 2012 look fine, James has played great when on field, Jenkins needs to get confidence, and he should get going in the offseason, with Williams and Mario on ACL injuries, he needs to step up in mini camps. Looney has the upside for OG or starting C. Debate is out on Fleming and Johnson, need a full camp for both healthy wise. Robinson hasn't played much, which isn't surprising, he hasn't looked better than McBath.

I think what Baalke has excelled at is Free Agency. Rogers, even with some regression, has been a great pickup. Goodwin has been good. Akers was good, but injury got him. Plus the obvious re-signings Bowman, Brooks, Lee all before they hit free agency.
Todd Mcshay in his latest 2.0 Mock has us taking another wr???

Justin Hunter*, WR, Tennessee

Nose tackle is a possibility here, but wide receiver is a legitimate need for the 49ers with both Randy Moss and Ted Ginn scheduled to hit free agency. The team would like A.J. Jenkins to become a difference-maker in the slot, but San Francisco needs another outside weapon who can take advantage of QB Colin Kaepernick's strong arm. Hunter's hands are a bit inconsistent, but he is a smooth athlete who runs good routes and can make plays downfield.

Kiper's 2.0 Mock has us taking DT/NT:

John Jenkins

Analysis: The current construct of the Niners' roster really offers them a great chance to maximize value, and getting a player like Jenkins this far down the board would represent a lot of value. I also think San Francisco should be conscious of depth and age on the defensive line. We saw how diminished the pass rush was when Justin Smith wasn't healthy, and that's because Smith simply eats up blockers. Jenkins can do the same, though he's certainly no proxy for Smith. But at 359 pounds, he can really move.
I think Jesse Williams is a better option...he can also play inside and out, but at 6-4, 320, he should be a real force no matter where he plays. My thoughts are that Baalke should get Randy Starks in FA...very versatile DL who can also play in & out, but has the NFL experience we so sorely lacked when Justin Smith got hurt. Sharrif's no slouch, by any means, I just think Williams offers more. Baalke may have to trade up to get him...but then that's why you stockpile 14/15 picks, isn't it.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I think Jesse Williams is a better option...he can also play inside and out, but at 6-4, 320, he should be a real force no matter where he plays. My thoughts are that Baalke should get Randy Starks in FA...very versatile DL who can also play in & out, but has the NFL experience we so sorely lacked when Justin Smith got hurt. Sharrif's no slouch, by any means, I just think Williams offers more. Baalke may have to trade up to get him...but then that's why you stockpile 14/15 picks, isn't it.

Yes, that is exactly why Baalke stockpiled all of these draft picks. He can go mass or he can go quality and the drafts allow him to move around.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Todd Mcshay in his latest 2.0 Mock has us taking another wr???

Justin Hunter*, WR, Tennessee

Nose tackle is a possibility here, but wide receiver is a legitimate need for the 49ers with both Randy Moss and Ted Ginn scheduled to hit free agency. The team would like A.J. Jenkins to become a difference-maker in the slot, but San Francisco needs another outside weapon who can take advantage of QB Colin Kaepernick's strong arm. Hunter's hands are a bit inconsistent, but he is a smooth athlete who runs good routes and can make plays downfield.

Kiper's 2.0 Mock has us taking DT/NT:

John Jenkins

Analysis: The current construct of the Niners' roster really offers them a great chance to maximize value, and getting a player like Jenkins this far down the board would represent a lot of value. I also think San Francisco should be conscious of depth and age on the defensive line. We saw how diminished the pass rush was when Justin Smith wasn't healthy, and that's because Smith simply eats up blockers. Jenkins can do the same, though he's certainly no proxy for Smith. But at 359 pounds, he can really move.

Would be VERY happy with either of those picks.
give me the Kiper pick please. Gotta go D, we picked a wr, rb and qb in the first 2 rounds over the last 2 drafts. We need to focus on the D and now!

I want a guy like Jenkins in the first round and a corner in the 2nd.

Can pickup a wr with one of the 2 3rd round picks.