There are 639 users in the forums
49oz2SuperBowl Early Mock Draft
- 1 2
Jan 14, 2013 at 7:51 PM
- Phoenix49ers
- Veteran
- Posts: 132,395
Jan 15, 2013 at 7:23 AM
- 228niner
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,630
awesome mock
Jan 15, 2013 at 11:26 AM
- iowa49er_75
- Veteran
- Posts: 320
Other than your very first pick, great mock!
Jan 15, 2013 at 12:12 PM
- communist
- Veteran
- Posts: 12,475
nice
Jan 15, 2013 at 12:18 PM
- Phoenix49ers
- Veteran
- Posts: 132,395
Originally posted by iowa49er_75:
Other than your very first pick, great mock!
I like the very first pick, not sure what people have against Jenkins, he'll make a solid NT in the pro's, very big body, can take on two blockers, collapses the pocket, good motor, as long you use him like a 2 down NT, you'll get consistent, good effort out of him.
Jan 16, 2013 at 2:15 PM
- tohara3
- Veteran
- Posts: 30,822
Nice mock
Jan 16, 2013 at 5:01 PM
- IdahoNiner
- Veteran
- Posts: 9,543
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by iowa49er_75:
Other than your very first pick, great mock!
I like the very first pick, not sure what people have against Jenkins, he'll make a solid NT in the pro's, very big body, can take on two blockers, collapses the pocket, good motor, as long you use him like a 2 down NT, you'll get consistent, good effort out of him.
People want to blame him for the bowl game that he didnt even play in.
Jan 16, 2013 at 5:13 PM
- 9erred
- Veteran
- Posts: 4,195
I would be ok with a kicker as early as the 4th. The Niners would have won two more games this season with a better kicker.
Jan 17, 2013 at 11:43 AM
- dtg_9er
- Veteran
- Posts: 33,204
Good mock...would rather see a S over RB but other than that it seems to match needs and the player boards I've read.
Jan 17, 2013 at 9:45 PM
- IdahoNiner
- Veteran
- Posts: 9,543
I would be really happy with this mock, but i wouldnt draft OLB that high. People forget that we still have Haralson, which is extremely underrated for what he adds to the team. I would draft one later as a developmental pick, and take DE or safety in the second. I ould also take Lattimore over your RB to sit and develope for a year if he as there, which i think he will be.
But i would be happy with this draft. good job.
But i would be happy with this draft. good job.
Jan 19, 2013 at 4:03 PM
- Ninerjohn
- Veteran
- Posts: 67,445
I guess I will be the lone dissenter here. I am not crazy about this draft:
1) Jenkins.. good player but I would much prefer a 3-4 DE as opposed to a DT. Someone like Floyd would be my choice
2) Chase Thomas.. good player but I think a 2nd rd grade is too high. Limited upside
3) Reed - again a good player but I would not take a TE this high. WR is a MUCH bigger need
4) Holmes - just think he is a bit overrated having watched USC a lot.
5) Mathieu - not worth the trouble. Big time risk. Would pass
I think the Niners first 4 picks should be:
3-4 DE
WR
CB
OLB
Just would not take a TE and a C with 2 of my first 4 picks.
1) Jenkins.. good player but I would much prefer a 3-4 DE as opposed to a DT. Someone like Floyd would be my choice
2) Chase Thomas.. good player but I think a 2nd rd grade is too high. Limited upside
3) Reed - again a good player but I would not take a TE this high. WR is a MUCH bigger need
4) Holmes - just think he is a bit overrated having watched USC a lot.
5) Mathieu - not worth the trouble. Big time risk. Would pass
I think the Niners first 4 picks should be:
3-4 DE
WR
CB
OLB
Just would not take a TE and a C with 2 of my first 4 picks.
Jan 19, 2013 at 4:22 PM
- Phoenix49ers
- Veteran
- Posts: 132,395
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I guess I will be the lone dissenter here. I am not crazy about this draft:
1) Jenkins.. good player but I would much prefer a 3-4 DE as opposed to a DT. Someone like Floyd would be my choice-So you want to draft a backup at DE, who is better suited to be a 4-3 DT opposed to a starting NT? Okay.
2) Chase Thomas.. good player but I think a 2nd rd grade is too high. Limited upside. Yet that's precisely the range he's expected to be in, his intelligence, versatility and athleticism are a terrific combination, he'd be perfect as a backup OLB/ILB.
3) Reed - again a good player but I would not take a TE this high. WR is a MUCH bigger need If Walker walks, considering how much this team uses a #2 TE and that the #2 TE is basically a starter, what greater need do you imagine they have?
4) Holmes - just think he is a bit overrated having watched USC a lot. What better pick at center then?
5) Mathieu - not worth the trouble. Big time risk. Would pass That reasoning sucks, no offense. People said the same thing about guys like Dennard.
I think the Niners first 4 picks should be:
3-4 DE-Even if there isn't much talent at that position in this draft?
WR-I don't disagree with this, but you have good depth throughout the draft, you can get guys like Swope or Patton in the 3rd round.
CB-Once more, a lot of depth, good prospects will be available in Round 2-4.
OLB-Hence the pick of Chase Thomas who can also play inside linebacker as well.
Just would not take a TE and a C with 2 of my first 4 picks.-That's fine, others disagree, IMO #2 TE is a need, Walker is utterly unreliable, if he leaves, then it becomes a big need. Center all depends on how Kilgore develops but I would like to see them draft a center at some point in the draft.
. You're not going to replace Justin Smith with a DE from this draft, other than perhaps Hunt, the majority of these prospects are better off as 4-3 DT's. You take what you can get from a draft and I'd rather get a starting NT and then look at a DE in Rounds 4 or 5 to provide depth, then next year look at stud DE to replace Justin. TE is a need, Walker's hands aren't reliable and there's plenty of good TE's throughout that could do well in this offense. WR's are a need but I'm more impressed with some of the later round guys than more raw prospects like Patterson. I don't think C is that big of a need, but it would be helpful to add someone there. Safety and cornerback are two other positions I'd like to look at and there's a variety of talent throughout the draft to address both those positions.
The 49ers have a lot of picks, few real needs, they should be able to address depth at a variety of positions, as well as hopefully add a starter at NT, a #2 TE..essentially a starter in this offense and hopefully depth at OLB.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 19, 2013 at 4:26 PM ]
Jan 19, 2013 at 4:32 PM
- Ninerjohn
- Veteran
- Posts: 67,445
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I guess I will be the lone dissenter here. I am not crazy about this draft:
1) Jenkins.. good player but I would much prefer a 3-4 DE as opposed to a DT. Someone like Floyd would be my choice-So you want to draft a backup at DE, who is better suited to be a 4-3 DT opposed to a starting NT? Okay.
2) Chase Thomas.. good player but I think a 2nd rd grade is too high. Limited upside. Yet that's precisely the range he's expected to be in, his intelligence, versatility and athleticism are a terrific combination, he'd be perfect as a backup OLB/ILB.
3) Reed - again a good player but I would not take a TE this high. WR is a MUCH bigger need If Walker walks, considering how much this team uses a #2 TE and that the #2 TE is basically a starter, what greater need do you imagine they have?
4) Holmes - just think he is a bit overrated having watched USC a lot. What better pick at center then?
5) Mathieu - not worth the trouble. Big time risk. Would pass That reasoning sucks, no offense. People said the same thing about guys like Dennard.
I think the Niners first 4 picks should be:
3-4 DE-Even if there isn't much talent at that position in this draft?
WR-I don't disagree with this, but you have good depth throughout the draft, you can get guys like Swope or Patton in the 3rd round.
CB-Once more, a lot of depth, good prospects will be available in Round 2-4.
OLB-Hence the pick of Chase Thomas who can also play inside linebacker as well.
Just would not take a TE and a C with 2 of my first 4 picks.-That's fine, others disagree, IMO #2 TE is a need, Walker is utterly unreliable, if he leaves, then it becomes a big need. Center all depends on how Kilgore develops but I would like to see them draft a center at some point in the draft.
.....
I think a 3-4 DE is far more important and I think Floyd is a bettter player than Jenkins. You dont agree - thats fine. You saw what happened when Justin Smith went down. Our defense suffered a LOT. So yes... I would prefer a 3-4 DE even if that person rotates in.
As for Thomas, I said I liked him... but not in the 2nd. If he is there in the 3rd I would consider him. I would prefer a CB or WR in the 2nd or trade up for someone like Jesse Williams if its possible. He is a better NT than Jenkins in my opinion.
Mathieu - not even sure he is that good. Again, would not touch. Personal issues, drug problems, and character issues are enough for me to let someone else have him.
So.. I am not crazy about this. I have seen other mocks in here that I like much more.
Jan 19, 2013 at 4:39 PM
- Phoenix49ers
- Veteran
- Posts: 132,395
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I think a 3-4 DE is far more important and I think Floyd is a bettter player than Jenkins. You dont agree - thats fine. You saw what happened when Justin Smith went down. Our defense suffered a LOT. So yes... I would prefer a 3-4 DE even if that person rotates in.-Yes, if you can find ANOTHER Justin Smith, but there's not one here, other than perhaps Hunt. Floyd is better suited to the inside, lacks quickness on the outside and is a s**t pass-rusher. The 49ers need a guy eventually to replace Justin Smith, that guy is not here, not this year. Also, forget that if Soap walks, the 49ers don't have a starter at the NT, the most IMPORTANT position in a 3-4 defense. Soap is not great shakes, he's played poorly at times this year, but without him you'd be going from bad to worse. If it comes down to drafting a backup DE with the ceiling of Ray McDonald or a starter at NT, the latter becomes the most important by far.
As for Thomas, I said I liked him... but not in the 2nd. If he is there in the 3rd I would consider him. I would prefer a CB or WR in the 2nd or trade up for someone like Jesse Williams if its possible. He is a better NT than Jenkins in my opinion.-Jesse Williams likely will be gone before the 49ers first pick even. There's no reason to take a CB or WR in the 2nd when you have plenty of similar prospects in the 3rd round to boot. In the 2nd would be a good time to take a guy like Thomas or a safety such as Rambo.
Mathieu - not even sure he is that good. Again, would not touch. Personal issues, drug problems, and character issues are enough for me to let someone else have him.-Talent is talent and Mathieu's talent is undeniable, he's a true playmaker, would be a good slot corner and could also play special teams, he's a bargain at that point in the draft.
So.. I am not crazy about this. I have seen other mocks in here that I like much more.
Also, have you actually watched Floyd play or are you just parroting the Webzone flavor of the month? He struggles to get around tackles, he essentially gives up when double-teamed, he can be highly inconsistent, his next pass-rushing move he develops will be his first, very weak bull-rushing, doesn't play as strong as he looks, he's got a lot of potential, but his general inability to get around the corner means he will end up inside, trying to play him outside will only result in frustration for him and the team that drafts him.
He's got potential but he's extremely raw, that is why I'm a much bigger proponent of a more developed player like Steinkuhler, he plays with a strong motor, does well against the run, is s**t as a pass rusher but he won't cost you a 1st round pick to sit on the bench and sub in a few plays per game.
The 49ers already went with one project pick in the 1st round this year and it ended up costing them TRUE 3-4 DE's like Derek Wolfe and Kendall Reyes that were fulltime starters as rookies, either could have been groomed as a replacement for Justin Smith but they chose to go with the 150 pound project WR instead.
....
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 19, 2013 at 4:51 PM ]
- 1 2