LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 211 users in the forums

Best Tight End in the Draft

With Delanie Walker in his final year of his contract and could possibly be leaving, I know the team will be looking for a replacement. Who do you think is the best tight end prospect in the upcoming draft?

Joseph Fauria
Zach Ertz
Travis Kelce
Jordan Reed
Ryan Otten
Dion Sims
Michael Williams
Chris Gragg
Philip Lutzenkirchen
Mychal Rivera

These are just to name a few. I didn't put Tyler Eifert on here since he's more than likely gone after the first round or early second.
Only players worth considering in first 2 rounds....

Zack Ertz (best TE)
Tyler Eifert

The next tier of tightends (Delanie Walker caliber) is a tossup between...

Jordan Reed (best fit for replacing Walker and value if we can land in the 3rd/4th round range)
Joseph Fauria
[ Edited by 49oz2superbowl on Jan 7, 2013 at 5:57 PM ]
Zack ertz has great handa and runs great routes. Hea not a very nad blocker either but hes a weapon when hea running routes. I would love him in the secons but he will prolly bw gone. Fauria ia another option and actually have him in my mock. Hes underrated with a weak qb throwing to him but he would b an instant starter and wpuld make it to the third rd
my early list:

TE

1... Tyler Eifert {Notre Dame} 1st rd
2... Zach Ertz* {Stanford} 2nd rd
3... C.J. Fiedorowicz* {Iowa} 2nd rd
4... Joseph Fauria {UCLA} 3rd rd
5... Gavin Escobar* {San Diego State} 3rd rd
6... Dion Sims* {Michigan State} 3rd-4th rd
7... Jordan Reed* {Florida} 4th rd
8... Travis Kelce {Cincinatti} 4th rd
9... Zach Sudfeld {Nevada} 5th rd
10. Chris Gragg {Arkansas} 5th rd
11. Ryan Otten {San Jose State} 6th rd
12. Michael Williams {Alabama} 6th rd
13. Jake Stoneburner {Ohio State} 7th rd
14. Philip Lutzenkirchen {Auburn} 7th rd
15. Ben Cotton {Nebraska} 7th rd
  • sfout
  • Veteran
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/07/another-stanford-te-takes-off-to-nfl/

Toilolo left early as well
Originally posted by sfout:
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/07/another-stanford-te-takes-off-to-nfl/

My favorite TE. Based solely off potential, kid could be awazing. He has a lot of work that needs to be done, but I'd love to have the kid be a Niner.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by sfout:

My favorite TE. Based solely off potential, kid could be awazing. He has a lot of work that needs to be done, but I'd love to have the kid be a Niner.

Potential and allot of work to be done... sounds like a Baalke pick to me.
Not the best in the draft, but i personally like Sims in the third/fourth for us. I think he would be a real nice compliment to VD, and would bring alot of value in those rounds IMO.
Wait one more year, then draft Colt Lyerla from Oregon. Dude is going to be an absolute MONSTER

Sims
Otten
Reed
Rivera
Toilolo
Williams

Are the TE's I like and those who I feel will be around in a realistic range for the 49ers drafting one, between late Round 2 and mid Round 4.

Sims-Weighs about 280, still plenty explosive as a receiver, a very good blocker, likely to be gone between middle of Round 2 and early Round 3.

Otten-Not a very accomplished blocker, but a good receiving threat, has made a lot of big plays downfield this year. Mid Round 3 to mid Round 4 is his current expected range, could move up if he does well at the Combine.

Reed-Explosive, undersized, more of an h-back type like Walker but with far better hands, needs quite a bit of work as a blocker, has trained with Aaron Hernandez and it shows, talented route runner, good athletic ability. His range is anywhere from mid Round 2 to mid Round 3.

Rivera-Pretty much every thing I said about Reed applies to Rivera as well. He won't get the hype of Reed but may turn out to be a better pro. Range anywhere from mid Round 3 to early Round 5.

Toilolo-He's 6'8". He's had experience playing in Stanford's offense, actually decent as an inline blocker, good downfield receiver, Kind of seems to disappear at times though, not always consistent blocking-wise. Did I also mention that he's 6'8"? I see him going anywhere from early Round 3 to Mid Round 4.

Williams-Outstanding blocking tight-end, very good size as a TE, goes about 6'6" and 275, was used primarily for his blocking ability but has shown some promise as a receiver, very raw when it comes to route-running skills, has shown decent hands when catching the ball, a lot of potential for improvement in the receiving aspect. I see him as a mid 4th round to late 5th round pick.

Ertz is the best and Jordan Reed is very similar to A. Hernandez, either one would be a great addition.
I'm biased because he's from my hometown, but Travis Kelce is the best TE in my opinion.
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Wait one more year, then draft Colt Lyerla from Oregon. Dude is going to be an absolute MONSTER

Can't wait for Colt to come to the NFL. I've never seen a TE that has his type of athletic skill set. He is kind of a RB trapped in a TEs body.

I don't know how well he runs (4.6?), and a lot will depend on him getting used more in the Oregon offense, but he looks like a 1st round TE. I hope he gets used more at Oregon becuase he could be a game changer at TE.
Can't see us taking one before round 4 and maybe not that early.
Originally posted by English:
Can't see us taking one before round 4 and maybe not that early.

Are you assuming that the Niners re-sign Walker or let him walk? If Walker is gone, I think the Niners will take one between the 3rd -5th rounds.
Share 49ersWebzone