Originally posted by 9erred:Thanks for the answer Geek. I appreciate your thought out response. I did not hit quote + because I do not want the thread to get two long.
Replies to the few that I still kind of disagree on.
1. QB.- I concur that Tolzien and Smith are not mobile qb's and that Harbaugh can adapt to the offensive philosphy. Smith is on his way out, so in my mind getting a back up that will eventually be a #2 in the "modified pistol" my made up terminology is paramount. Tolzien can still be the back up and play the opposing teams starting qb's on scout teams, but I would prefer an athletic qb like Josh johnson or the kid from K state in the 5th round to mentor.
2. Agree with the OLB call as I did not factor in the FA NT. A dominant OLB core to pair with a dominant ILB core is paramount. I also would like to see Larry Grant resinged at ILB if he can be had for a fair value. (pipe dream, but who knows).
3. RB- I had a brain fart on Jewel Hampton, you are right they do not need to draft a rb, an UDFA or a FA rb can be competition in campt.
4. WR- I like the fact that you are using lower draft picks on WR. It is amazing to me how many lower draft picks (T?Y HILton, tommy streeter) do well in the NFL.
5. I think comparing replacing adam Snyder a servicable guard to replacing a pro bowl center is beyond a little bit of a reach. The center makes the OL calls and having a rookie do that would be fine in a rebuilding year, but the Niners are posed for a run again in 2013, so lets keep the petal to the metal.!!!!! Maybe Goodwin would restructure to stay with the team??
Again, loving this dialogue. Good responses.
1. Johnson would be cheaper to Hasselbeck, and I understand your logic there.
2. If the Chiefs stay in the 3-4 D, I think Grant goes there. He should be a starter in the league. Honestly, who wants to spend their careers behind Bowman and Willis?
4. Especially when we have Crabtree, Manningham, and the recently drafted Jenkins, it would be foolish to spend another 1st round pick on the position.
5. If we can restructure Goodwin, then I'm all for it. But I'd still draft Frederick to take over in 2014. Kilgore doesn't look ready.. We are going to have a big decision to make when Iupati and Davis's contracts are up - and I think we only sign one of them, and most likely Iupati. That means we'll need to kick Boone out to RT, and let Looney take over the RG position.