LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 262 users in the forums

Geek's 2013 Mock Plan

• GEEK
  • Veteran
I agree with MadDog that we have needs across the board on offense, defense, and special teams to address in the next two years. Our draft picks are going to be vital in fulfilling those needs.

Cut: ($11M in savings)

David Akers - K
Parys Haralson - DE/OLB
Jonathan Goodwin - C

Trade: ($8M in savings)

Alex Smith - QB for Titans conditional 2014 NFL Draft Pick (Range: 3rd to 5th round)

Resign: ($14M in 2013)

Dashon Goldson - FS (5 year, $40M)
Isaac Sopoaga - NT/DE (2 year, $6.5M)
Tarvares Gooden - ILB (2 year, $2M)
Randy Moss - WR (1 year, $2M)

Extend: ($3M in savings)

Justin Smith - DT/DE (2 year extension)

Free Agency:

Sammie Lee Hill - NT/DE - Lions (4 year, $13M)
*Rated as a top 3 4-3 NT in terms of pass rush via Pro Football Focus, Hill also has a nice physical ability and size at 6-4, 320+ lbs. He also has shown ability to swat passes in the DT position - something we rarely see with our current personnel on the d-line. With the draft stocked at DTs, Hill isn't going to receive a large contract in free agency. I see him as the future starter somewhere on the D-line, and he'll rotate with Sopoaga, and provide relief to Smith and McDonald at the DE position

Matt Hasselbeck - QB - Titans *Rumored to be released* (1 year, vet min)

*He could receive some interest with all the teams needing a QB, but the success of young QBs getting into the post-season (Kaepernick, Wilson, Luck, RGIII, Dalton) may eliminate starting interest. The 49ers expressed interest in Hasselbeck a couple of years ago, and he'd be perfect for a mentoring role for Kaepernick, and fights Tolzien for the backup gig. If cut, he will not count against comp pick in 2014.

Jeff Otah - OT/OG - Panthers *Out of League in 2012* (1 year, vet min)
*Injuries sidelined him in 2012. But we aren't afraid to showing interest in those that have potential (ex. Geoff Schwartz). Plus, Otah won't go against comp pick calculations in 2014. Replaces Leonard Davis on the roster.

NFL Draft:

*Trade down to Jags 2nd round pick and pick up 2014 3rd round pick - Jags trade up to select Tyler Wilson - QB*

R2: Alex Okafor - DE/OLB - Texas (via Jaguars per trade down)

*Perfect complementary piece to our defensive unit. Okafor relies on his strength to provide disruptive pass rush, and has proper technique to be fundamentally sound in the run defense game. This is an upgrade to Parys Haralson.

2012 Stats: 61 Tackles, 12.5 Sacks, 16.5 TFL, 4 FF

*Trade up via 4th and 6th rounders to move up 8 spots*

R2: Travis Frederick - C/OG - Wisconsin (via trade up)

*All Big-10 Honorable Mention, Frederick has high intangibles and comes from a program with a track record of success. Experienced at center and guard, he'll instantly fit in our scheme.

R3: Quinton Patton - WR - LA Tech (via Panthers)

*Outside of Crabtree, we lack consistency and health at the WR position. Patton reminds me a bit like Eric Decker from the Broncos. He does everything well, but he's not an elite athlete. And with so many talented prospect declaring, we can get a steal in the early 3rd round.

2012 Stats: 103 Receptions, 1,392 Yards, 12 TDs, 13.4 YPC

R3: D.J. Swearinger - CB/FS - South Carolina
*This guy reminds me a bit like Dashon Goldson. Big hitter that played some CB in college, but will convert to full time safety in the pros. Great coverage ability with tackling ability, but needs to learn to wrap up.

2012 Stats: 79 Tackles, 7 PD, 2 INT, 2 FF, 3 TFL

R3: Travis Kelce - TE - Cincinnati (Comp)
*NFL bloodlines as his older brother plays for the Eagles, Kelce has solid intangibles that make him an intriguing prospect as the #2 TE option on the team. 6-5, 260 lb frame, he has shown fluidity in his route running abilities, and has solid hands. I would opt for Simms here from Michigan State, but his injury concerns put his draft value much lower.

2012 Stats: 45 Receptions, 722 Yards, 8 TDs

R5: Terry Hawthorne - CB - Illinois (via Colts)
*Down year on a bad team, Hawthorne's stock really fell in 2012. But, he's a developmental pick that can't be any worse than Brock. Hawthorne has a lot of starting experience, has flashed some ability in his career, but needs to put on some weight to bulk up for the NFL. Experience with kick returns.

2012 Stats: 44 Tackles, 1 INT, 6 PD, 4 TFL

R5: Dustin Hopkins - K - Florida State
*Top kicker in the draft. Big leg. Accurate.

*Trade up via 7th round pick*

R6: Devin Taylor - DE - South Carolina (via Jaguars per trade up)

*Tall and lanky, Taylor was expected to perform a lot better than what he displayed in 2012. Good speed and tackling ability, but poor technique to disengage from the offensive linemen. I'd love to see the 49ers draft this guy, and build him up to a 3-4 DE.

R7: Steve Greer - ILB - Virginia (via Bengals)
*2nd team all ACC, Greer projects as a nice fit in the 3-4 ILB position. Solid against the run, but vulnerable against the pass. Should immediately contribute to the special teams game.

R7: Drew Terrell - WR/PR - Stanford (comp)
*Harbaugh's boy here - Terrell will compete with Williams for a spot on the roster. Possible PS guy if not.

R7: Ryan Griffin - TE - Connecticut (comp)
*Better size and blocking ability than Celek

Depth Chart:

QB: Kaepernick/Hasselbeck*/Tolzein
RB: Gore/Hunter/James/Dixon
FB: Miller
TE: Davis/Kelce*/Griffin*

WR: Crabtree/Williams
WR: Manningham/Moss
WR: Patton*/Jenkins

LT: Staley
LG: Iupati/Looney
C: Frederick*/Kilgore
RG: Boone
RT: Davis/Otah*

LE: Smith/Hill*
NT: Sopoaga/Williams
RE: McDonald/Taylor*

OLB: Smith/Fleming/Johnson
ILB: Willis/Greer*
ILB: Bowman/Gooden
OLB: Brooks/Okafor*

CB: Rogers/Culliver/Hawthorne*
CB: Brown/Cox
FS: Goldson/Swearinger*
SS: Whitner/Spillman

ST: Hopkins/Lee/Jennings
Nice job
Nice work!
Love the Hopkins pick! We need a long term solution at the kicker position and he would be it!
Thanks for taking time out of yout day to do this, good job. Would be nice if we could trade up for a great interor lineman like Star.
I know you have the Otah signing for T depth, but I think that's a bigger gap than C/G.
Originally posted by GEEK:
I agree with MadDog that we have needs across the board on offense, defense, and special teams to address in the next two years. Our draft picks are going to be vital in fulfilling those needs.

Cut: ($11M in savings)

David Akers - K
Parys Haralson - DE/OLB
Jonathan Goodwin - C

Trade: ($8M in savings)

Alex Smith - QB for Titans conditional 2014 NFL Draft Pick (Range: 3rd to 5th round)

Resign: ($14M in 2013)

Dashon Goldson - FS (5 year, $40M)
Isaac Sopoaga - NT/DE (2 year, $6.5M)
Tarvares Gooden - ILB (2 year, $2M)
Randy Moss - WR (1 year, $2M)

Extend: ($3M in savings)

Justin Smith - DT/DE (2 year extension)

Free Agency:

Sammie Lee Hill - NT/DE - Lions (4 year, $13M)
*Rated as a top 3 4-3 NT in terms of pass rush via Pro Football Focus, Hill also has a nice physical ability and size at 6-4, 320+ lbs. He also has shown ability to swat passes in the DT position - something we rarely see with our current personnel on the d-line. With the draft stocked at DTs, Hill isn't going to receive a large contract in free agency. I see him as the future starter somewhere on the D-line, and he'll rotate with Sopoaga, and provide relief to Smith and McDonald at the DE position

Matt Hasselbeck - QB - Titans *Rumored to be released* (1 year, vet min)

*He could receive some interest with all the teams needing a QB, but the success of young QBs getting into the post-season (Kaepernick, Wilson, Luck, RGIII, Dalton) may eliminate starting interest. The 49ers expressed interest in Hasselbeck a couple of years ago, and he'd be perfect for a mentoring role for Kaepernick, and fights Tolzien for the backup gig. If cut, he will not count against comp pick in 2014.

Jeff Otah - OT/OG - Panthers *Out of League in 2012* (1 year, vet min)
*Injuries sidelined him in 2012. But we aren't afraid to showing interest in those that have potential (ex. Geoff Schwartz). Plus, Otah won't go against comp pick calculations in 2014. Replaces Leonard Davis on the roster.

NFL Draft:

*Trade down to Jags 2nd round pick and pick up 2014 3rd round pick - Jags trade up to select Tyler Wilson - QB*

R2: Alex Okafor - DE/OLB - Texas (via Jaguars per trade down)

*Perfect complementary piece to our defensive unit. Okafor relies on his strength to provide disruptive pass rush, and has proper technique to be fundamentally sound in the run defense game. This is an upgrade to Parys Haralson.

2012 Stats: 61 Tackles, 12.5 Sacks, 16.5 TFL, 4 FF

*Trade up via 4th and 6th rounders to move up 8 spots*

R2: Travis Frederick - C/OG - Wisconsin (via trade up)

*All Big-10 Honorable Mention, Frederick has high intangibles and comes from a program with a track record of success. Experienced at center and guard, he'll instantly fit in our scheme.

R3: Quinton Patton - WR - LA Tech (via Panthers)

*Outside of Crabtree, we lack consistency and health at the WR position. Patton reminds me a bit like Eric Decker from the Broncos. He does everything well, but he's not an elite athlete. And with so many talented prospect declaring, we can get a steal in the early 3rd round.

2012 Stats: 103 Receptions, 1,392 Yards, 12 TDs, 13.4 YPC

R3: D.J. Swearinger - CB/FS - South Carolina
*This guy reminds me a bit like Dashon Goldson. Big hitter that played some CB in college, but will convert to full time safety in the pros. Great coverage ability with tackling ability, but needs to learn to wrap up.

2012 Stats: 79 Tackles, 7 PD, 2 INT, 2 FF, 3 TFL

R3: Travis Kelce - TE - Cincinnati (Comp)
*NFL bloodlines as his older brother plays for the Eagles, Kelce has solid intangibles that make him an intriguing prospect as the #2 TE option on the team. 6-5, 260 lb frame, he has shown fluidity in his route running abilities, and has solid hands. I would opt for Simms here from Michigan State, but his injury concerns put his draft value much lower.

2012 Stats: 45 Receptions, 722 Yards, 8 TDs

R5: Terry Hawthorne - CB - Illinois (via Colts)
*Down year on a bad team, Hawthorne's stock really fell in 2012. But, he's a developmental pick that can't be any worse than Brock. Hawthorne has a lot of starting experience, has flashed some ability in his career, but needs to put on some weight to bulk up for the NFL. Experience with kick returns.

2012 Stats: 44 Tackles, 1 INT, 6 PD, 4 TFL

R5: Dustin Hopkins - K - Florida State
*Top kicker in the draft. Big leg. Accurate.

*Trade up via 7th round pick*

R6: Devin Taylor - DE - South Carolina (via Jaguars per trade up)

*Tall and lanky, Taylor was expected to perform a lot better than what he displayed in 2012. Good speed and tackling ability, but poor technique to disengage from the offensive linemen. I'd love to see the 49ers draft this guy, and build him up to a 3-4 DE.

R7: Steve Greer - ILB - Virginia (via Bengals)
*2nd team all ACC, Greer projects as a nice fit in the 3-4 ILB position. Solid against the run, but vulnerable against the pass. Should immediately contribute to the special teams game.

R7: Drew Terrell - WR/PR - Stanford (comp)
*Harbaugh's boy here - Terrell will compete with Williams for a spot on the roster. Possible PS guy if not.

R7: Ryan Griffin - TE - Connecticut (comp)
*Better size and blocking ability than Celek

Depth Chart:

QB: Kaepernick/Hasselbeck*/Tolzein
RB: Gore/Hunter/James/Dixon
FB: Miller
TE: Davis/Kelce*/Griffin*

WR: Crabtree/Williams
WR: Manningham/Moss
WR: Patton*/Jenkins

LT: Staley
LG: Iupati/Looney
C: Frederick*/Kilgore
RG: Boone
RT: Davis/Otah*

LE: Smith/Hill*
NT: Sopoaga/Williams
RE: McDonald/Taylor*

OLB: Smith/Fleming/Johnson
ILB: Willis/Greer*
ILB: Bowman/Gooden
OLB: Brooks/Okafor*

CB: Rogers/Culliver/Hawthorne*
CB: Brown/Cox
FS: Goldson/Swearinger*
SS: Whitner/Spillman

ST: Hopkins/Lee/Jennings

I like it, I like it a lot.
A lot of effort Geek. Several points on differences of opinion, and that is all it is, my opinion.

1. Matt Hasselbeck?? In my opinion the team is moving offensive philosphies (which I predicted with the 2012 draft) towards a modified pistol offense. I also think the team will bring over the UNR coach in some sort of offensive capacity. Hasselbeck is a WCO QB, not a pistol QB. Josh Johnson or drafting a college qb who can run and pass while rolling left or right (like Kaepernick) should be looked at.

2. OL- I think keeping the OL together is paramount. Goodwin is doing a good job, let him play out his contract.

3. Drafting OLB as the first pick?? Darius Fleming and Cam Johnson where drafted last year. They will be good back ups to Brooks and Smith. Perhaps you should read the recent articles on how to build dynasty football teams. Teams have to develop players. The team is developing two young back ups to play with the two young starters.

4. You re signed Sopoaga to a two year deal. I would concur with that move, but NT should be addressed high in the draft if that is BPA. I would rather see a high draft pick on a NT who can start than another high draft pick on an OLB or WR that cannot start.

5. TE- Assuming Walker leaves I am also in the camp of a stronger #2 TE than Celek. If the niners take a TE Ertz or the kid from Notre Dame at the first pick, at least they will see lots of snaps as the pistol and Harbaugh use lots of TE/HB packages.

6. Unless Moss shows up in the play offs, I would not re sign him. He gets open, but does not come back to the ball, allowing defenders to step in front of him.

7. It will cost the niners 1 million dollars to retain Alex Smith to trade him. The FO would have to anticipate a second or third round pick in 2013 to justify a 1 million dollar expenditure to gain the right to a draft pick. A potential 3-5th in 2014 is not worth a million dollars.

8. Disagree with not using a draft pick on a RB. Gore is moving up in age, Dixon is not an every down back. The 4th to 7th round teams have found strong RB's. I think Dixon is replaceable.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
A lot of effort Geek. Several points on differences of opinion, and that is all it is, my opinion.

1. Matt Hasselbeck?? In my opinion the team is moving offensive philosphies (which I predicted with the 2012 draft) towards a modified pistol offense. I also think the team will bring over the UNR coach in some sort of offensive capacity. Hasselbeck is a WCO QB, not a pistol QB. Josh Johnson or drafting a college qb who can run and pass while rolling left or right (like Kaepernick) should be looked at.

2. OL- I think keeping the OL together is paramount. Goodwin is doing a good job, let him play out his contract.

3. Drafting OLB as the first pick?? Darius Fleming and Cam Johnson where drafted last year. They will be good back ups to Brooks and Smith. Perhaps you should read the recent articles on how to build dynasty football teams. Teams have to develop players. The team is developing two young back ups to play with the two young starters.

4. You re signed Sopoaga to a two year deal. I would concur with that move, but NT should be addressed high in the draft if that is BPA. I would rather see a high draft pick on a NT who can start than another high draft pick on an OLB or WR that cannot start.

5. TE- Assuming Walker leaves I am also in the camp of a stronger #2 TE than Celek. If the niners take a TE Ertz or the kid from Notre Dame at the first pick, at least they will see lots of snaps as the pistol and Harbaugh use lots of TE/HB packages.

6. Unless Moss shows up in the play offs, I would not re sign him. He gets open, but does not come back to the ball, allowing defenders to step in front of him.

7. It will cost the niners 1 million dollars to retain Alex Smith to trade him. The FO would have to anticipate a second or third round pick in 2013 to justify a 1 million dollar expenditure to gain the right to a draft pick. A potential 3-5th in 2014 is not worth a million dollars.

8. Disagree with not using a draft pick on a RB. Gore is moving up in age, Dixon is not an every down back. The 4th to 7th round teams have found strong RB's. I think Dixon is replaceable.

Love the response, thank you for the time to do so. But I'd like to keep this dialogue going if you don't mind.

1. Tolzien is not a mobile QB. Alex Smith doesn't run the pistol. If there's anything Harbaugh and the staff is good at, it's adapting to the strengths of their players. And while we may have some success with the offense right now, it may not continue next week or even in the playoffs, mind you.

I like the Josh Johnson suggestion as well, and Baalke may opt to go in that direction. But we expressed interest in Hasselbeck before, and if we can get him for a good deal and a mentoring role, then I see no problem with it.

2. The unit improved when we bounced Snyder and plugged Boone at RG - that wasn't continuity. And Goodwin has a $5M salary in 2013, which he's turning 35 (I think?). Frederick will be a starter for the next 10 years on our line - he's almost that blue chip prospect you find in the first round.

3. There were rumors that Baalke wanted Bruce Irvin, who had 8 sacks in a reserved role for the Hawks. I think Okafor is BPA at that spot. In addition, he'll provide a fierce pass rush that will augment Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks current abilities. Look at the Ravens as an example: they've drafted DE/OLB prospects in rounds 1 or 2 within three of the last four years.

We have a 4th rounder who spent his season on IR, and a 7th rounder that was on the PS before being activated to a reserve role. I don't have confidence in that, and based on what we currently see on the field, neither should the fans at the moment. Let them earn the playing time.

4. Sammie Lee Hill - the free agent signing I included in my mock - can fit that void at NT. Tomsula can do wonders with his talent and refine his technique. In addition, Ian Williams has looked good in his limited playing time.

This season, we've most commonly used 4 people along the D-line in standard sets - Smith, Sopoaga, Mcdonald, and RJF. If that standard continues next year, then sub RJF for Hill.

5. I'd love if we could snag Ertz, but using a 1st round pick seems overkill in my opinion for a #2 TE. Witten, the top performing TE in yards this year, was a 3rd round pick. The next, Jimmy Graham, was a 3rd round pick as well. We need a new TE to replace Walker - I agree. But you can get an immediate contributor in the 3rd round.

6. That's a fair point about Moss. I would feel naked at the fact that Kaepernick will only have chemistry with 1 WR that's not recovering from torn ACL injuries (Manningham and Williams), which is why I included Moss. I did draft 2 WRs in my mock - Patton in the 3rd, and Terrell in the 7th (PR duties) - to help address the position.

7. I don't think $1M is that big of a deal if you can turn that gained 3rd rounder into a Chris Culliver or Frank Gore. And especially if teams are not confident in their workouts with Barkley, Wilson, Smith, and the other QBs of the draft, then you could milk more out of teams for Alex Smith. There's opportunity cost to consider - and I don't think $1M is that big of a deal. If anything, it's a "I'm sorry Harbaugh screwed yo uover" money hah.

8. We do have Hampton on the roster now. I think we may explorer the UDFA route for RBs, but we spent a 2nd on James and a 4th on Hunter. I think we are set for 2013 at the primary spots. Maybe sign a Jackie Battle to compete with Dixon?
Nice work, Geek.

Couple of question marks in my mind that haven't been addressed:

- Like the Otah signing as a potential solution, but shouldn't the Niners draft a swing OT in case he doesn't work out?
- is keeping Soap and Signing Sammie Lee Hill the right way to go from a cap standpoint or should the Niners draft two d lineman instead?

Your thoughts?

Otah's probably going to want the chance to start somewhere. Not sure he'll get that here.
I don't think we go with an old qb. I think harbaugh has gained a rep as a qb guru and he's going to use the teams backup qb spots as a qb factory. Imagine if we can get a first rx pick for a qb every few years. I think we might draft a quarterback. Not early but i think we draft one.
I'm not sure if Hassleback will hang around the league to be a backup. With Tennessee he always had the opportunity to start and that's clearly not going to happen here. I'm not sure how much space will be available with your mock but I do think it would be nice if we have some cap space so we can get an extension of Iupati or Crabtree during the year next year.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jan 6, 2013 at 6:49 AM ]
I didn't even think anybody else even knew about Ryan Griffin

UConn football was pretty brutal to watch this year, but he made some huge plays..
Share 49ersWebzone