LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

Neglected D Line

Just because one starts a thread does not mean one is expected to defend his original post arguing with anyone that doesn't have the exact same opinion.

The Oline was an issue, it got addressed at the top of the following draft. The offense lacked explosion and play makers, it got addressed at the top of the following draft.....

See a pattern there? The team is busy fixing problems it knows it has rather than trying to fix ones it might have. In a perfect world teams would be able to dedicate much of their resources on what if's, but the way the game is designed there is little time for such actions. Imagine if we didn't have James cause the team was trying to address what if scenarios and used that pick on a different position.

Also another factor to think about here is you can't have star studs everywhere on the roster. You must have some starters that are only good or above average players. We are already pushing it on the D as it is in regard to our cap. We have/potential for, superstar contracts at DE/ILB/ILB/S. You want to add another to the D? The teams with the lesser amount of star contracts, but pay higher wages to their role players are generally more successful with Washington of the 90's and early 2000's being the bright shining example of that failure, and New Eangland being the example of the opposite. How many "elite" players have the Pats traded or allowed to walk in belichecks tenure?

The NFL is not designed to allow a team to blanket their roster with studs, and as such as posted previously in this thread is a much nicer manner, all this thread is woulda coulda shoulda 20/20 hindsight and says.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Just because one starts a thread does not mean one is expected to defend his original post arguing with anyone that doesn't have the exact same opinion.

The Oline was an issue, it got addressed at the top of the following draft. The offense lacked explosion and play makers, it got addressed at the top of the following draft.....

See a pattern there? The team is busy fixing problems it knows it has rather than trying to fix ones it might have. In a perfect world teams would be able to dedicate much of their resources on what if's, but the way the game is designed there is little time for such actions. Imagine if we didn't have James cause the team was trying to address what if scenarios and used that pick on a different position.

Also another factor to think about here is you can't have star studs everywhere on the roster. You must have some starters that are only good or above average players. We are already pushing it on the D as it is in regard to our cap. We have/potential for, superstar contracts at DE/ILB/ILB/S. You want to add another to the D? The teams with the lesser amount of star contracts, but pay higher wages to their role players are generally more successful with Washington of the 90's and early 2000's being the bright shining example of that failure, and New Eangland being the example of the opposite. How many "elite" players have the Pats traded or allowed to walk in belichecks tenure?

The NFL is not designed to allow a team to blanket their roster with studs, and as such as posted previously in this thread is a much nicer manner, all this thread is woulda coulda shoulda 20/20 hindsight and says.

• HERN
  • Veteran
Screw the D-line. Our biggest need hands down has to be addressed with our 1st rd pick and maybe move up if we have to, that pick being Caleb Sturgis FTW.
the 2013 draft should draft some D line help--it is a big priority---I would love the Niners to use all their picks--12-13 whatever it is--get quantity, and hope you drafted a few gems.
We need to draft a DL player, and get Docket from AZ!
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Neglected D Line:
D Line is the most important position group on the defense, as evidenced by the Dline dominating the first round of almost every draft. Yet we waste 1st rd picks on WR's who don't even play.
With Justin Smith (33 y/o) injured, our D line draft positions are:
Rd 3 #91 Ray McDonald (age 28 y/o)
Rd 4 #104 Isaac Sopoaga (31 y/o)
Rd 7 #244 RJF (26 y/o)
FA Ian Williams
FA Demarcus Dobbs
We definitely have neglected the D line, and need to bolster it

We have by far the lowest drafted Dline in NFC West:
The Rams have THREE 1st round plus a HIGH 3rd and a high 4th on the D line. And their 1st rd picks are #2 overall (Long) and two guys picked #14 overall.
The Seahawks have two 1st rd picks plus one 3rd and two 4th rd picks on the D line
The Cardinals have TWO 1st rd, one 2nd, one 3rd and one 4th

We make up for it with great linebackers, but we are skating on thin ice, as seen with just one key injury on the D line.
Since when is a player's draft position an argument for or against the respective player?

Just a hint, Captain Hindsight: our biggest problems in the last years were the O-Line, QB, pass-rush and CB. Rightfully the O-Line was filled with two first-rounders, QB was drafted with a 2nd-rounder when we needed one. CB was upgraded via FA. Contrary to that, the D-Line wasn't a significant problem upon this season.
Last season it was apparent that we needed another WR. Fortunetaly we didnt need to activate him from day one, thx to Alex and to Kaep/Crab.
Ok, some people argued that we should go for a D-Liner if there is one who is worth taking at our juncture...but that's all of the arguments prior to this season.

Your "thinking" is just hindsight/smartass crap b/c it comes up way too late.
[ Edited by communist on Jan 4, 2013 at 9:00 PM ]
I love when people mention AJ Jenkins and Jerry Rice in the same sentence.
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Neglected D Line:
D Line is the most important position group on the defense, as evidenced by the Dline dominating the first round of almost every draft. Yet we waste 1st rd picks on WR's who don't even play.
With Justin Smith (33 y/o) injured, our D line draft positions are:
Rd 3 #91 Ray McDonald (age 28 y/o)
Rd 4 #104 Isaac Sopoaga (31 y/o)
Rd 7 #244 RJF (26 y/o)
FA Ian Williams
FA Demarcus Dobbs
We definitely have neglected the D line, and need to bolster it

We have by far the lowest drafted Dline in NFC West:
The Rams have THREE 1st round plus a HIGH 3rd and a high 4th on the D line. And their 1st rd picks are #2 overall (Long) and two guys picked #14 overall.
The Seahawks have two 1st rd picks plus one 3rd and two 4th rd picks on the D line
The Cardinals have TWO 1st rd, one 2nd, one 3rd and one 4th

We make up for it with great linebackers, but we are skating on thin ice, as seen with just one key injury on the D line.

Since when is a player's draft position an argument for or against the respective player?

How about talent, age, depth? Other than Justin Smith, our Dline is and has been mediocre at best. We haven't drafted anyone in years, yet most agree that Dline is key to defense. When they drafted AJ Jenkins our Dline was old, they weren't very good (except for J.Smith), and they weren't deep. That stuff is important right? The main point about draft is that we haven't drafted any D line in several years, yet every year we draft 1-2 WR and OL!
Originally posted by communist:
Your "thinking" is just hindsight/smartass crap b/c it comes up way too late.

Regarding "way to late" I posted during the draft that I didn't know why they needed so many WR's when they had poor depth on the D line. They cut two WR's in training camp who looked just as good as AJ in preseason (Palmer and Owusu)

You probably loved Nolan, Singletary and McClown (and Alex Smith), and you attacked anyone who pointed out their deficiencies or mistakes.
I think maxsmart is Skip Bayless. This post sounds just like something Skip would write.

D-Line depth>>>true No.1 Wideout...yeah, right.

You don't get it, do you? We didn't have anything special by far at WR prior to the draft. Whereas our D-line had a good 2011 season. With Ian Williams, we scooped up a potential NT.
[ Edited by communist on Jan 4, 2013 at 10:22 PM ]
Where you draft DLine doesn't matter. Who cares where they're drafted.
You want to be like the Chiefs?

Glenn Dorsey, 1st round 5th overall in 2008. BUST
Tyson Jackson..1st round 3rd overall in 2009 draft. Huge bust
Dontari Poe, 1st round 11th overall in 2011 draft, didnt do anything this season. 28 tackle and 0 sacks on the year

Doesn't matter where you draft your DLinemen. Good players are good players. That applies to every position not DL.
[ Edited by InconvenienTTruth21 on Jan 4, 2013 at 10:26 PM ]
The niners spend 13.5 mil more on the defense in salary than they spend on the offense. I mean what more do you want? You can't have it all.
Thanks for the input. I guess what I've learned from y'all is that:

* It's good that the starting DLine are age 28, 31 and 33 y/o
* It good that our Dline depth is mostly UDFA who no one else in the NFL wanted

* It's good that the 49ers drafted AJ Jenkins instead of Derek Wolfe (40 tackles 6 sacks) or Kendall Reyes (28 & 5.5) who I wanted at the time of the draft.

* It's great that in the last 3 years, the 49ers have drafted SIX OLine and ZERO DLine.
Even though they have FOUR first round draft picks on the OL, it's more important that they still draft extra OLine and then cut them rather than picking any D lineman. Even though they have more first round O linemen than any team in the NFL, they pick Jason Slowey and Mike Person and cut them (who are then signed by other teams) and pick Joe Looney (who never plays a down) and Daniel Kilgore because O linemen are way more important than Dline.

But that's not neglecting the DLine.
And the 49ers front office never makes any mistakes

Thanks guys for setting me straight
[ Edited by maxsmart on Jan 5, 2013 at 2:16 AM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:
The niners spend 13.5 mil more on the defense in salary than they spend on the offense. I mean what more do you want? You can't have it all.

Draft picks are cheap, so they don't bump the salary much. That's a big advantage of draft picks.
I don't want it all, I just wanted them to draft one D linemen. That's all.
They've picked SIX Oline the last 3 years and ZERO d linemen.
Share 49ersWebzone