LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 139 users in the forums

Neglected D Line

Originally posted by tjd808185:
I look at a like Green Bay and they're picking tight ends/ receivers every single year between rounds 2-4. Jones, Nelson, Finley, Cobb. It's really the way to go about it.

I don't think we need a 1st rounder but we definetily need a James Jones type prospect.

What Green Bay does and the Giants do to a certain extent flies in the face of this number 1 talk (as far as using a high pick on a receiver). They just have a group of guys that can get it done and are seemingly interchangeable. Similar to our group of running backs.
Usually you never need a 1st round at any position unless it's a QB or a special non-QB talent like AJ Green or Matt Kalil. Or it is a position where top talents are seldom seen like Safety, NT, Guard and Center.
But WR is certainly not in this mold, imo. Those guys are way too dependent on the teammates' performance and especially on the performance of their QB. The guys in the trenches decide where and how far a play is going to...very good safeties are just hard to find.
I look at a like Green Bay and they're picking tight ends/ receivers every single year between rounds 2-4. Jones, Nelson, Finley, Cobb. It's really the way to go about it.

I don't think we need a 1st rounder but we definetily need a James Jones type prospect.

Aaron Rogers would make all of our WRs look like studs too. Jones is an average WR that is fortunate to play for GB. Most of his TDs this year were results of Rogers extending the play.

Cobb was a great find for them though. With the exception of Finley, their receivers are good route runners and very sure-handed.
Originally posted by strickac:
Aaron Rogers would make all of our WRs look like studs too. Jones is an average WR that is fortunate to play for GB. Most of his TDs this year were results of Rogers extending the play.

Cobb was a great find for them though. With the exception of Finley, their receivers are good route runners and very sure-handed.

Yes and no. I don't dispute that Rodgers will make our receivers better but he's not going to make them taller or faster or younger. The fact of that matter is we don't have a James Jones or Jordy Nelson on the roster.
Yes and no. I don't dispute that Rodgers will make our receivers better but he's not going to make them taller or faster or younger. The fact of that matter is we don't have a James Jones or Jordy Nelson on the roster.

No, but we have a Crabtree. He's better than Nelson and certainly Jones. Manningham and Williams are talented guys that can beat DBs with their quickness. Moss can make plays.
Originally posted by strickac:
No, but we have a Crabtree. He's better than Nelson and certainly Jones. Manningham and Williams are talented guys that can beat DBs with their quickness. Moss can make plays.

It's really besides the point. The point is how Green Bay acquired the best receiving core in football. They have 4 receivers capable of putting up 1,000 yards and 8 TDs with a blink of an eye. Yeah you need a guy like Rodgers to get that out of them, but it's safe to say they have built their receiving core alot smarter than we have.
Originally posted by 9erred:
I agree, if only we had that looking glass and drafted Brady, Brees, Marquis Colston in the 6th round. In all seriousness though I agree with you and wanted Wolfe at that position.

That's not what he said at all
We allocated a first round pick for a defensive linemen in 2008 and it was an abject failure
I don't get the point of this thread. You're saying we should draft a DL in the first because ours are old and we haven't in a while? How does that constitute a smart draft strategy...
Originally posted by PatrickWillis52:
I don't get the point of this thread. You're saying we should draft a DL in the first because ours are old and we haven't in a while? How does that constitute a smart draft strategy...

Simple. He'd rather be the Rams. In 2007, they would rather have Adam Carriker. In 2008, they definitely approved on the Kentwan Balmer pick. Matter of fact, we should've tried to find Balmer and brought him back to camp when he went AWOL. In 2009? Pass on Michael Crabtree and draft the highly touted Aaron Maybin and converted to the 4-3. Or maybe drafted some other no name D-line guy in 2009. Then we would have a young defensive line.

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by PatrickWillis52:

Simple. He'd rather be the Rams. In 2007, they would rather have Adam Carriker. In 2008, they definitely approved on the Kentwan Balmer pick. Matter of fact, we should've tried to find Balmer and brought him back to camp when he went AWOL. In 2009? Pass on Michael Crabtree and draft the highly touted Aaron Maybin and converted to the 4-3. Or maybe drafted some other no name D-line guy in 2009. Then we would have a young defensive line.
You funny, but that's not a smart statement. Of course poor drafting is never good. Obviously the biggest key is to pick high quality players, no matter the position they play. That's blatantly obvious, but that wasn't my point. But since you bring up the quality argument, so far the quality our 2012 draft sucked bad! Are you implying that we had a good quality 2012 draft? Of course it's still possible that any rookie could turn out OK, but so far our 2012 draft not only didn't get high quality players but it didn't address our needs (our biggest need was DL).

I will re-state what I did point out:
* D Line is prob most imp part of a defense. We should rotate in D-linemen to keep them fresh.
* Our D line is old and has poor depth and Dline depth was our biggest draft need
* We haven't drafted any D-linemen in several years!
* We have drafted SIX O-linemen and ZERO D-linemen in the last 3 years
* Even though we have FOUR 1st round O-linemen (the most in the NFL), we repeatedly draft O-linemen and then cut them eg. Slowey, Person, Looney (inactive).

* Do you think it was wise to draft Slowey instead of Dline? Even though he had no chance to make the team?
We drafted Slowey even though we already had NINE good O-linemen. There was almost no chance that Slowey could make the team because we were already stocked with NINE O-linemen! We only keep 8. Slowey made 10, and he was sure to be cut. Wasted pick.

* Do you think it was wise to draft Jenkins instead of Derek Wolfe or Kendall Reyes?
We drafted AJ Jenkins even though we already had FIVE WR's guaranteed to make the team. We had to cut two good young WR's (Owusu and Palmer, who looked equal to Jenkins in the preseason) because we had too many. There was little chance that Jenkins would have a big year because they knew he was raw and we were already stocked with WR's. Of course if Jenkins were a star, it would have been a good draft pick. But DL was a bigger need. Derek Wolfe and Kendall Reyes were both perfect fits as 3-down DE that can stop the run and also rush the passer. Both were rising players with lots of upside and little downside. I liked either of these guys at the time of the draft rather than a 6th WR, and now it looks like I was right.
[ Edited by maxsmart on Jan 6, 2013 at 4:48 PM ]
Originally posted by maxsmart:
You funny, but that's not a smart statement. Of course poor drafting is never good. Obviously the biggest key is to pick high quality players, no matter the position they play. That's blatantly obvious, but that wasn't my point. But since you bring up the quality argument, so far the quality our 2012 draft sucked bad! Are you implying that we had a good quality 2012 draft? Of course it's still possible that any rookie could turn out OK, but so far our 2012 draft not only didn't get high quality players but it didn't address our needs (our biggest need was DL).

* D Line is prob most imp part of a defense. We should rotate in D-linemen to keep them fresh.
* Our D line is old and has poor depth
* Even though we have FOUR 1st round O-linemen (the most in the NFL), we repeatedly draft O-linemen and then cut them eg. Slowey, Person, Looney (inactive).

* Do you think it was wise to draft Slowey instead of Dline? Even though he had no chance to make the team?
We drafted Slowey even though we already had NINE good O-linemen. There was almost no chance that Slowey could make the team because we were already stocked with NINE O-linemen! We only keep 8. Slowey made 10, and was sure to be cut.

* Do you think it was wise to draft Jenkins instead of Wolfe?
We drafted AJ Jenkins even though we already had FIVE WR's guaranteed to make the team. We had to cut two good young WR's (Owusu and Palmer, who looked equal to Jenkins in the preseason) because we had too many. There was little chance that Jenkins would have a big year because they knew he was raw and we were already stocked with WR's. Of course if Jenkins were a star, it would have a good draft pick. But DL was more of a need.

Calling last years draft a bust sinply just doesnt make sense. You have no time to say whether or not Jenkins is a bust. LMJ was a hit as well and I wouldn't be suprised if hes the future for us. Him and Kaep compiment each other and harbaugh is tryjng to do that. All these mobile guards and tackles with kaep, LMJ, and Jenkins are the future. Its going to take time for you to see the fruits of focusing on the offense. I think you'll b happy with.the 2013 draft cause i see us drafting the defense heavy and making.some trade.up for Why
some.studs but calling 2012.a bust.because we didnt draft wolfe is moronic. We traded up 2011 to draft aldon and hes a pro bowler but thats not going to happen.every year. Why dont you post a mock and give some insight.into what a non neglected.dline draft looks like?
Originally posted by maxsmart:

* Our D line is old and has poor depth and Dline depth was our biggest draft need

We drafted Slowey even though we already had NINE good O-linemen. There was almost no chance that Slowey could make the team because we were already stocked with NINE O-linemen! We only keep 8. Slowey made 10, and he was sure to be cut. Wasted pick.

* Do you think it was wise to draft Jenkins instead of Derek Wolfe or Kendall Reyes?
We drafted AJ Jenkins even though we already had FIVE WR's guaranteed to make the team. We had to cut two good young WR's (Owusu and Palmer, who looked equal to Jenkins in the preseason) because we had too many. There was little chance that Jenkins would have a big year because they knew he was raw and we were already stocked with WR's. Of course if Jenkins were a star, it would have been a good draft pick. But DL was a bigger need. Derek Wolfe and Kendall Reyes were both perfect fits as 3-down DE that can stop the run and also rush the passer. Both were rising players with lots of upside and little downside. I liked either of these guys at the time of the draft rather than a 6th WR, and now it looks like I was right.

Reyes or Wolfe really wouldn't of had a big impact for us. We just don't rotate our lineman that often and the only time they would have gotten extensive playing time would be during Justin Smith's injury.
Reyes or Wolfe really wouldn't of had a big impact for us. We just don't rotate our lineman that often and the only time they would have gotten extensive playing time would be during Justin Smith's injury.

We should rotate in Dline. Maybe we don't because we don't have good depth? Let's keep track of how they do going forward.
At the time of the draft we had 5 good WR's, but weak D-line depth plus old D-line. Our need was D-line.
At the time of the 6th rd of draft we already had 9 good OL, but we drafted Slowey

BTW, D-line is a big reason for Seahawks beating up other teams.
We don't rotate our DLine often because there is WAY too big of a drop off.

We need a better rotation and eventual replacements. NOT impressed w/ Tukafu [sp], Dobbs. RJF has improved and I think he'll continue to do so w/more playing time. Ian has potential.

We need to get a NT & DE either in FA or preferably the draft.
Share 49ersWebzone