LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 282 users in the forums

WRs in the 2013 draft

Originally posted by 49ersGiants7:
Woods isn't as flashy and doesn't get as much separation as some of the other receivers.

I would scream my guts out if Baalke took a receiver in the 1st again, if they need to add one plenty of good ones will be available in the 3rd (or late 2nd if they want it that bad). It would be incredibly negligent to take one in the 1st with so many good defensive lineman and secondary players available. Don't forget we have a QB who can make his receivers better now, we don't need bigtime WRs to win it all, just a solid group is all we need.

agree about the statement that we dont need a top line WR in the draft and instead focus on getting functional ones. I actually think Manningham and Williams might be sufficient. My only fear is that Kaep seems to be locking into targets and especially Crabtree. So if you dont give him a great WR, he might not look at them when a play breaks down or the primary targets are covered.
Agree WR is a need, but only after DL and secondary. I'd put TE right up there w/WR, too. With Walker being an UFA, no guarantee he'd stay. I'd love to see Baalke get Ertz...what a RZ target he could be. We'd have the west coast version of what NE has. As for WR's, I like the tandem coming out of Tenn...Justin Hunter and Cordarrelle Patterson. Both are big guys and can really run. We need some size opposite Crabs, for sure.
Originally posted by deepniner:
From all the receivers I've seen, Cordarelle looks the best. Although I believe he will be long gone before the Niners pick. If the team doesnt get him, they should look for a slot receiver, instead of a 2nd receiver. I havent seen enough video, but from the other names mentioned in this thread, each of them either lack the explosiveness/acceleration or the brute force catching ability that someone like Boldin shows. I'd like to hear more names that people think fit that mold.

I really would like to take a shot at Cobi Hamilton
  • dmax
  • Veteran
Tavon Austin

keenan allan

Robert Woods
[ Edited by dmax on Feb 15, 2013 at 12:27 PM ]
From all the receivers I've seen, Cordarelle looks the best. Although I believe he will be long gone before the Niners pick. If the team doesnt get him, they should look for a slot receiver, instead of a 2nd receiver. I havent seen enough video, but from the other names mentioned in this thread, each of them either lack the explosiveness/acceleration or the brute force catching ability that someone like Boldin shows. I'd like to hear more names that people think fit that mold.

Agreed Cordarrelle Patterson fits the teams needs i also think he's the best WR in the draft. Forget the fact Baalke took Jenkins last year we still need a BIG WR with speed and Cordarrelle Patterson is awesome!!!! When are the 49ers ever going to have 2 outside stud threats like Rice & Taylor how long has it been?

Then draft...
DB
DL
FGK
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Nick515:
I have different scenarios for a couple wide receivers for the draft.

I'm a big Tavon Austin fan and don't really see the Niners having to move up to get him based on him being projected a late round pick but with a strong combine that he could possibly dominate then he could be gone early and possibly to Seattle. I watched some of his videos and his cut ability is probably the best of any college wide receiver plus he can be used in different positions as a kick returner or running back and with Ginn Jr. gone Austin could easily replace him. He'd also be a good slot guy coming in since the Niners really lack a true slot receiver. Austin to me has Wes Welker like potential at the slot. Just faster.

Is the highlighted part a typo? You meant a late first round pick, didn't you?

Patterson fans i'd like to see more mock's that move us up to around 12th in the 1st round so we can get this kid. Kiper has him 12th McShay 15th.

I know we gotta fix the secondary and DL but this kid Patterson is special we need him on the outside with Crabs for Kaep.

I say position up for Patterson then target DB's & DL they are deep this draft so we can still draft well after Patterson.
I'm with the Da'rick Rodgers people, I want him. Many will just point to the deep threats, but a big physical 6'3 WR who can make all the tough catches, play well in space, and rack up YAC would fit nicely in this offense. Baalke and Harbaugh have taken on character risks with free agent signings of declining players like Edwards/Moss, so why not try to use a 3rd round pick on this kid?
I'm sorry...but anytime anyone says woods and I think:

http://www.nfl.com/player/rashaunwoods/2506081/profile

Marquiss Wilson in the 6th?
[ Edited by Jakemall on Feb 15, 2013 at 10:11 PM ]
I really hope the Niners do NOT trade up for Patterson. Yes, he has the measureables and he's fast, but he's also very raw. He's going to need some time to develop in the NFL. It is tempting with his versatility to run/catch/play S/T and I'm sure eventually he'd be a beast in Roman's offense. But the Niners need players who can contribute NOW.

WR is a tricky position to draft this year. There is a lot of depth and talent, but I really believe that with the depth and talent at DL, they must upgrade the DE/NT spots (maybe even the first 2 picks).

With the depth of talent in this draft, I think Baalke should target a less popular name who's polished and can move the chains. Someone like Stedman Bailey.

The one exception to this post is IF they can trade Alex Smith for a 2nd or 3rd. They they could upgrade the DL and WR early.

Originally posted by loyalniner:
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
DaRick Rogers Tenn. Tech is a big physical WR who is a first round talent but slipping because of off the field issues. Played at Tennessee but was kicked off the team and landed at Tenn. Tech.

Agree. Rogers is arguably the best in the draft at WR. Big dude with strong hands and a ton of speed. Again, though, off the field issues make me question whether he'd be effective. Even with the baggage he's worth a late 2nd or early 3rd

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-looks-at-small-school-prospect-DaRick-Rogers-2491.html
  • cools
  • Veteran
free agency is loaded with good WR's, the draft is loaded with 5'9 slot guys

I'd rather find a starting split end via FA, and grab a late round project like Mellette
I'm a wvu fan and love Tavon Austin but there's another great wr going into the draft this yr out of wvu, Stedman bailey. He a smaller build wr as well bout has great hands and is a solid route runner with decent speed. He would be a nice pick up in there 3rd round possibly?? What do u guys think?
  • buck
  • Veteran
agree about the statement that we dont need a top line WR in the draft and instead focus on getting functional ones. I actually think Manningham and Williams might be sufficient. My only fear is that Kaep seems to be locking into targets and especially Crabtree. So if you dont give him a great WR, he might not look at them when a play breaks down or the primary targets are covered.

I think we need a top line WR. I am tired of hearing what great blockers our wide receivers are.
I want dynamic, explosive receivers who are known for taking it to the house.

Manningham's production was decent. He had 449 yards last year.
But, he has played in 16 games in only once in five years, and his is coming off a major injury.

Williams was not even decent. Williams has 471 receiving yards in three years.

Seriously, we need to upgrade our receiving corps. We need more effective receivers.

I think we need to draft two of them this year.

Tavon Austin is one of the best receivers in this draft, but many would scream if we drafted him because he is short.
[ Edited by buck on Feb 16, 2013 at 12:31 AM ]
The problem with drafting a WR is it takes years for that guy to actually produce. We saw it with Crabtree take 3 years. We saw it with Vernon Davis take 4 years. These guys were top 10 picks. We saw it with AJ Jenkins this year. I say we sign someone in free agency, maybe someone under the radar, and let's see what Jenkins can do in year two.
Share 49ersWebzone