There are 129 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

WRs in the 2013 draft

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Id like to see a third round pick used on Stedman Bailey. Hes about 5-10 but other than that hes the total package. Great route runner with great hands and speed to get deep. Hes also a powerful guy with enough wiggle and accelration to take short passes home. He played wide in college but I could see him being a major weapon in the slot as well. Also plays special teams.

Will be gone before round three.

May very well be. I think hes first round talent but then again im biased.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Why do people think you automatically need big wide receivers to go against big cornerbacks? I've seen this assumption made repeatedly and it yet has to make any sense. Wes Welker is hardly a "big" receiver yet he's one of the WR's who gave Seattle the most trouble this year. Generally speaking, a bigger defensive back won't be as fluid as smaller one, they don't turn their hips as well, you don't beat them by out-sizing them, you beat them through extreme quickness, guys who they will struggle to keep up with. One of the ways opposing teams will counter bigger WR's is with bigger cornerback's, when you have the opposite situation, you look for quickness, route-running skill and general ability to separate.

Browner I can tell you, in particular, is a cornerback that is vulnerable to shifty, faster wide receivers. You're better off taking him on with a 5'10" slot receiver that can explode off the line and quickly shift direction than a big tall wide receiver. Calvin Johnson killed it this year but struggled mightily against Seattle and ended up with 40 yards receiving for the game, even though Detroit won.

I agree with you there. Sure, a big WR can duke it out better with a big CB.... but if your WRs are busy in a boxing match when the ball is thrown, the defense has already won. A WR can't afford the time to match the physicality of a defender.

AJ has the physical tools to be a nightmare for Seattle. He just needs to get his head in the game, make catches, and execute his assignments better.
Originally posted by blm7754:
I agree with you there. Sure, a big WR can duke it out better with a big CB.... but if your WRs are busy in a boxing match when the ball is thrown, the defense has already won. A WR can't afford the time to match the physicality of a defender.

AJ has the physical tools to be a nightmare for Seattle. He just needs to get his head in the game, make catches, and execute his assignments better.

I'd rather not leave that up to chance, add some more prospects and let guys fight it out to stay on the team, especially with the major injuries the 49ers have incurred at the WR spot this year. I would absolutely love to have a guy like Swope who is an all-everything player, a heady team guy, watching him, you just get the feeling that he'll find a way to be successful and be an active contributor to his team, regardless of what role it may be in.
I would cream my pants if Keenan Allen fell into our laps. Easily my favorite player in this upcoming draft.
My two WR crushes in this draft are....

Jordan Mathews- WR- Vanderbilt- 6-3, 205, JR




Aaron Mellette-Elon-WR- 6-3, 218, rSR

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by dj43:
You are getting carried away with the idea of separation only. There ARE many very good big receivers in this league that combine both speed/agility and quickness. Vincent Jackson, Julio Jones, AJ Green, Megatron, Brandon Marshall are just a few of the more prominent ones. Combine someone of that stature with Crabtree and Jenkins (assuming he proves his draft position and speed) and you have a divers corp of guys that will be hard for any team to defend.

The point is that there's NO need to select just based on height. If you have a talented WR that you like and he happens to be tall, great, but otherwise, go for the best possible talent available.


At the very least, a tall receiver has a larger catching range and usually less vulnerable to the bump-and-run defense. He also allows different passes (e.g., in the end zone) than a smaller receiver. Both small quick receivers and tall receivers are important for a team to have. The Niners already have a decent group of smaller to medium receivers.
What do you guys think about Justin Hunter. Via his highlights, he appears good at catching in traffic, breaking tackles, speed, long arms, agility? What's the Niners chances of getting him in the first round, trading up or otherwise. I feel the Niners should consider a WR in the first even more than a DT, because the Niners have an opening for a WR starter but only for a backup on the DL.
[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Jan 3, 2013 at 1:02 PM ]
BPA.....
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
What do you guys think about Justin Hunter. Via his highlights, he appears good at catching in traffic, breaking tackles, speed, long arms, agility? What's the Niners chances of getting him in the first round, trading up or otherwise. I feel the Niners should consider a WR in the first even more than a DT, because the Niners have an opening for a WR starter but only for a backup on the DL.

Piled up some big numbers against some cream puffs (Troy, Georgia St., Akron), but wasn't a real factor in most of his SEC matchups with the exception of a mediocre Missouri team. The potential is there, and he seems to be back from his ACL in 2011, but I'm not totally convinced he's a big game WR yet and worthy of a 1st round pick.
In theory the ideal small and shifty beats big and strong makes sense but in reality Seattle knocked the shot out of Welker and he had to come out of the game. Welker its a tough dude because any other smaller receiver would've gotten a concussion. Vernon Davis is a pretty tough dude but 6'3 Chancellor rung his bell. Our receivers our great but next season I hope we have a big and strong target to add to the arsenal. I think it would be careless to not have a one next season because we would be so much better with a guy that can muscle off the stronger corners.in the league.
I actually thought Kyle Williams was becoming the perfect slot receiver until he got hurt. Niners need a big target for the red zone. The lobs/fades to Moss havent really worked this year.
Cobi Hamilton with the caro 3rd. He just had the best season in Arkansas history. He can run multiple routes. He played against the best defenses in college ball and being an Arkansas fan he made plays against the best defenses. Something tells me he might make it to the beginning of the third. Seems ideal.
Originally posted by eonblue:
In theory the ideal small and shifty beats big and strong makes sense but in reality Seattle knocked the shot out of Welker and he had to come out of the game. Welker its a tough dude because any other smaller receiver would've gotten a concussion. Vernon Davis is a pretty tough dude but 6'3 Chancellor rung his bell. Our receivers our great but next season I hope we have a big and strong target to add to the arsenal. I think it would be careless to not have a one next season because we would be so much better with a guy that can muscle off the stronger corners.in the league.

He managed to stay upright long enough to put up about 130 yards on them.


Meanwhile Calvin Johnson had like 40 yards. How much stronger do WR's get than him? Do they need to be bigger than him too, because obviously he couldn't outmuscle Sherman or Browner.


[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 3, 2013 at 3:50 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by eonblue:
In theory the ideal small and shifty beats big and strong makes sense but in reality Seattle knocked the shot out of Welker and he had to come out of the game. Welker its a tough dude because any other smaller receiver would've gotten a concussion. Vernon Davis is a pretty tough dude but 6'3 Chancellor rung his bell. Our receivers our great but next season I hope we have a big and strong target to add to the arsenal. I think it would be careless to not have a one next season because we would be so much better with a guy that can muscle off the stronger corners.in the league.

He managed to stay upright long enough to put up about 130 yards on them.


Meanwhile Calvin Johnson had like 40 yards. How much stronger do WR's get than him? Do they need to be bigger than him too, because obviously he couldn't outmuscle Sherman or Browner.

Brandon Marshall (6'4", 230), and he gashed the Seahawks for 10 catches and 165 yards receiving which was the best performance by a WR against Seattle this season. It was also Marshall's best game of the year in terms of yardage...even if you take away his long reception of 56 yards, he still had over 100 yards receiving against a Seattle secondary that had both Sherman and Browner at the time.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 3, 2013 at 4:21 PM ]
  • titan
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,568
Originally posted by eonblue:
Cobi Hamilton with the caro 3rd. He just had the best season in Arkansas history. He can run multiple routes. He played against the best defenses in college ball and being an Arkansas fan he made plays against the best defenses. Something tells me he might make it to the beginning of the third. Seems ideal.

Outstanding YAC! reminds me a lot of Andre Johnson the way he catches the football.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=86R-jzlN4B0