LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 205 users in the forums

WRs in the 2013 draft

Originally posted by Decima_Mas:
Could he be our target in the second round? Could he be last that long?

Doubtful, physical traits could move him up into round 1 even. In anycase, the 49ers likely will need someone that is ready to play, no more projects or guys red-shirting for a whole season.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Could he be our target in the second round? Could he be last that long?

Doubtful, physical traits could move him up into round 1 even. In anycase, the 49ers likely will need someone that is ready to play, no more projects or guys red-shirting for a whole season.
I would not be shocked if we package some picks and move up somehow to get multiple picks in the top 50. Would be great to see us come out of that range with Patterson and a D lineman.

So far, just watching youtube clips, Patterson jumps out the most as the sort of large, fast, strong, dynamic WR I want.

Great to see this thread has taken off. Must mean I'm not the only one worried about, or at least thinking about, our WR situation.

I really wish we could have found a way to keep either Owusu or Palmer. We could sure use someone like that now. It seems like WR is a very tough position to scout. And every year the best rookie WRs seem to be equally mixed between high picks and low or undrafted guys. So for that reason, I'm hoping they keep enough rookies next year to give us more chances to find gold.
Watching those Patterson highlights again.

Imagining a pistol option attack with Kaep, LMJ, and Patterson all potential runners.... Man, that could be fun to watch....
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Id like to see a third round pick used on Stedman Bailey. Hes about 5-10 but other than that hes the total package. Great route runner with great hands and speed to get deep. Hes also a powerful guy with enough wiggle and accelration to take short passes home. He played wide in college but I could see him being a major weapon in the slot as well. Also plays special teams.

Do you think he will last to the 3rd? Maybe the Panthers 3rd? I always saw Bailey and Austin as early-mid 2nd round picks.

IDK AB, I'm too biased to make a call on them. Most of the places I've seen show Austin in the first and Bailey in the 3rd. If he goes to the combine and runs a 4.3 I don't know if we'll even have a shot at him, if he runs a 4.5 then yeah probably.

His play speaks for itself, but teams are going to reall want to se how tall he actually is and how he runs.
Originally posted by dj43:
You are getting carried away with the idea of separation only. There ARE many very good big receivers in this league that combine both speed/agility and quickness. Vincent Jackson, Julio Jones, AJ Green, Megatron, Brandon Marshall are just a few of the more prominent ones. Combine someone of that stature with Crabtree and Jenkins (assuming he proves his draft position and speed) and you have a divers corp of guys that will be hard for any team to defend.

The point is that there's NO need to select just based on height. If you have a talented WR that you like and he happens to be tall, great, but otherwise, go for the best possible talent available.
I don't know enough about the football reasoning behind the need for a big receiver to disagree, but I'm certain this team needs to address the WR position in the offseason. Even with Manningham in the lineup, Michael Crabtree was still responsible for an astronomical percentage of our production at WR. Based on what I've seen, we need a WR and we need one who can beat the jam. With all the picks we have in 2013, it might even make sense to package some of those picks together to move up in the draft and get the guy we want. Note: Seattle will also be eyeballing a WR in round 1.

My only problem with going WR in round 1 again is that it seems to be a position with a very high failure rate. Maybe the safer choice is get your preferred choice at DL/DE as we have now seen what a drop off in DE play has done to Aldon Smith.

If we are thinking long-term, the 49ers also have big needs at CB and DE so that may be route they go Round 1.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Jan 1, 2013 at 5:07 PM ]
Originally posted by bzborow1:
I don't know enough about the football reasoning behind the need for a big receiver to disagree, but I'm certain this team needs to address the WR position in the offseason. Even with Manningham in the lineup, Michael Crabtree was still responsible for an astronomical percentage of our production at WR. Based on what I've seen, we need a WR and we need one who can beat the jam. With all the picks we have in 2013, it might even make sense to package some of those picks together to move up in the draft and get the guy we want. Note: Seattle will also be eyeballing a WR in round 1.

My only problem with going WR in round 1 again is that it seems to be a position with a very high failure rate. Maybe the safer choice is get your preferred choice at DL/DE as we have now seen what a drop off in DE play has done to Aldon Smith.

If we are thinking long-term, the 49ers also have big needs at CB and DE so that may be route they go Round 1.
Both Seattle and the Rams will be looking at WR's and the offensive line, those two teams will only get tougher

I also favor the shotgun approach when it comes to drafting WR, just draft a whole bunch of them and things will work themselves out. Green Bay has been regularly drafting WR's and that has allowed their receiving corps to remain so explosive.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 1, 2013 at 6:40 PM ]
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Id like to see a third round pick used on Stedman Bailey. Hes about 5-10 but other than that hes the total package. Great route runner with great hands and speed to get deep. Hes also a powerful guy with enough wiggle and accelration to take short passes home. He played wide in college but I could see him being a major weapon in the slot as well. Also plays special teams.

Will be gone before round three.
I like Taverres King...good size and playmaking ability.
I'm really shocked. Tre pages and nobody talks about Cordarelle Patterson.

He is hand down the most gifted WR in the entire draft and knowing Balkee preference for raw talent, he could be one of our target

Poor route runner, lazy blocker, shows huge lapses in concentration at times. He's got explosive athleticism, good vision and strong hands that everyone falls in love with, but he's still got a lot of work to do and is very raw. Ideally he'd be a guy who would benefit tremendously from going back to school and becoming a more complete WR. If things go well he could be a very early 1st round pick next year.

If the 49ers hadn't dropped a first rounder on Jenkins last year, Patterson would be an ideal guy to select and then simply let him sit and develop for a whole season.

Legitimate points, but few WRs have the entire package of height/speed/explosiveness that Patterson does (especially for our offense). Also agree that he should've stayed in school since only 1 year in the SEC isn't enough to truly get a measure. But wow, this kid is worth the risk, especially if you can bring a veteran and one-time superstar playmaking WR like Randy Moss back to be a stabilizing, positive influence on him.

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

He is hand down the most gifted WR in the entire draft and knowing Balkee preference for raw talent, he could be one of our target

Poor route runner, lazy blocker, shows huge lapses in concentration at times. He's got explosive athleticism, good vision and strong hands that everyone falls in love with, but he's still got a lot of work to do and is very raw. Ideally he'd be a guy who would benefit tremendously from going back to school and becoming a more complete WR. If things go well he could be a very early 1st round pick next year.

If the 49ers hadn't dropped a first rounder on Jenkins last year, Patterson would be an ideal guy to select and then simply let him sit and develop for a whole season.

Legitimate points, but few WRs have the entire package of height/speed/explosiveness that Patterson does (especially for our offense). Also agree that he should've stayed in school since only 1 year in the SEC isn't enough to truly get a measure. But wow, this kid is worth the risk, especially if you can bring a veteran and one-time superstar playmaking WR like Randy Moss back to be a stabilizing, positive influence on him.

If Patterson goes mid 1st like Kiper says, he will likely earn my predicted bust label. You take out him beating up on Troy and he is a guy that finished the year with 500 recieving yards on the year in a fairly prolific passing offense. Reason is he can't run routes and he takes plays off. Most of what I've seen is Patterson either runs a hook route or fakes the hook into a deep route, thats not very impressive because it means he can only run routes based on speed/threat of speed. He has shown YAC ability and clearly has some speed, but on his big runs you'll notice he is often doing the same move faking to run vertical and then going horizontal. That does not work in the NFL. I currently have him at #9 on my WR rankings and probably a 3rd rounder.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Jan 2, 2013 at 1:51 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
If Patterson goes mid 1st like Kiper says, he will likely earn my predicted bust label. You take out him beating up on Troy and he is a guy that finished the year with 500 recieving yards on the year in a fairly prolific passing offense. Reason is he can't run routes and he takes plays off. Most of what I've seen is Patterson either runs a hook route or fakes the hook into a deep route, thats not very impressive because it means he can only run routes based on speed/threat of speed. He has shown YAC ability and clearly has some speed, but on his big runs you'll notice he is often doing the same move faking to run vertical and then going horizontal. That does not work in the NFL. I currently have him at #9 on my WR rankings and probably a 3rd rounder.

Agreed, I'd much rather take Hunter or Da'Rick Rogers over Patterson. But neither Hunter or Patterson really played well against quality DBs like NCState, Georgia, Florida, Miss State, or even Vanderbilt.

Hunter's main goal was show consistency and prove he was healthy, which he did -- Patterson on the other hand is a hyped up player who should've gone back to school but like we've talked about when you're QB and the other top 2 targets both a WR and TE are all leaving plus a new coaching staff is coming in you HAVE to make the jump or you could plummet out of the picture by next draft.
MarQuess Wilson. The guy is a borderline 1st round talent, big and fast. Great hands. Will go a couple of rounds lower than he should because of the problems at Washington State.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Yah, definitely don't see him as a 1st rounder....way too raw. I was thinking (but didn't write it) late 2nd or a trade back in to the mid-3rd given all of our available picks would be the right value. I admit to not doing a detailed (or even cursory) analysis of his route-running abilities since most college WRs are generally flawed in this area, but I do know that he's as raw as he is athletically gifted. IMO, his flaws both in technique and effort are correctable with good coaching, veteran influences and repetition. It's the skill set in the long-run that is intriguing to me, both in special teams and in his ability to stretch the field and RAC.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 2, 2013 at 2:33 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by domingo:
MarQuess Wilson. The guy is a borderline 1st round talent, big and fast. Great hands. Will go a couple of rounds lower than he should because of the problems at Washington State.

Big is a relative term, he's listed at 6'4" but he is also listed at a twig-like weight of 185
Share 49ersWebzone