LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

WRs in the 2013 draft

I think the biggest need at WR is a guy that would be a great RZ target. We dont need to stretch the field, we dont need speed, we dont need YAC, the most glaring need is a RZ target.

We can drive down the field in so many ways that it takes pressure off of one player/position to be a stud, although we do have some studs. But the thing we lack the most is that RZ target. We get that taken care of and the offence will be 100% more effective.

We need to draft a couple WR's more than likely, and atleast one of them should be a player that offers that RZ presence. I also think we need a second TE to add that pressence as well.
Originally posted by genz22:
I agree it is a need but not the top need....

We need the following....DT, DL, WR, S, TE, K, CB.

With that being said here is who I like at WR in the early rounds
Justin Hunter
Keenan Allen
Corderelle Patterson
Tavon Austin
Robert Woods
Terrance Williams
I think we should grab some wone out of free Agency and then play with discipline issue wideoutsin the 5-7th
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
DeAndre Hopkins is not getting any love here.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Here is an article that a detailed analysis of five wide receivers in the draft: Patterson, Austin, Allen, Hopkins, and Woods.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-BryanBroaddusBlog/5-To-Know-Broaddus-Breaks-Down-Draft%E2%80%99s-Top-5-Wide-Receivers-/e3c3bd39-294a-4fcf-8fbd-781bbd649635
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I think the biggest need at WR is a guy that would be a great RZ target. We dont need to stretch the field, we dont need speed, we dont need YAC, the most glaring need is a RZ target.

We can drive down the field in so many ways that it takes pressure off of one player/position to be a stud, although we do have some studs. But the thing we lack the most is that RZ target. We get that taken care of and the offence will be 100% more effective.

We need to draft a couple WR's more than likely, and atleast one of them should be a player that offers that RZ presence. I also think we need a second TE to add that pressence as well.

I 100% agree that the Niners need to improve their RZ efficiency. But, if they did get a true deep speed threat, they could score without getting into the RZ. I know that I've been down on drafting a WR early, but if they can get a tall, speed WR in the 2nd or 3rd that can run a go route, and streak into the EZ, that would really help a lot. Kaep has a big arm. They need someone who can run past defenses like Jacoby Jones did in the SB.

Also, as a RZ target, I really like the TE Joseph Fauria from UCLA. He's not fast (4.82 forty), and he's not a great blocker, but he had 12 TDs last year. He's great on 3rd down and in the RZ.
Originally posted by Butter:

I 100% agree that the Niners need to improve their RZ efficiency. But, if they did get a true deep speed threat, they could score without getting into the RZ. I know that I've been down on drafting a WR early, but if they can get a tall, speed WR in the 2nd or 3rd that can run a go route, and streak into the EZ, that would really help a lot. Kaep has a big arm. They need someone who can run past defenses like Jacoby Jones did in the SB.

Also, as a RZ target, I really like the TE Joseph Fauria from UCLA. He's not fast (4.82 forty), and he's not a great blocker, but he had 12 TDs last year. He's great on 3rd down and in the RZ.

We already can score from anywhere on the field though. VD is a great deep threat, Crabtree had great YAC this season, and Kaep is a threat to hit a home run with his legs from anywhere on the field. Also williams will be healthy, and before his injury was looking like he might have had chemistry with Kaep in the slot, LMJ and Hunter are scary in open space, and gore simply gets it done by getting whatever he can each and every carry. Jenkins is orrisome, but if e can be what we drafted him for than he should be able to stretch the field as well.

Where we struggled was in RZ passing. We are great and very efficient at running the football in the RZ, passing not so much. Neither crabtree nor VD have been proven to be reliable targets in the RZ.

Im not disagreeing that it would be nice to have a WR that can stretch the field and be a reliable RZ target. Just saying that the stretch the field aspect is less of a factor than the RZ target issue. The single biggest need on offense right now is effective RZ receiving targets.
I like WR Quinton Patton the most but not sure I would use a high draft pick this year on a WR...I would rather go after on in FA...
Waiting for another rookie WR to develop when we are trying to win a SB...makes little sense to me....
Obviously Harvin would be great but probably unrealistic....so I'm counting on Jenkins and Lockette to setup this year...otherwise I wouldn't mind Patton in the 3rd...
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
JT was a 3rd round pick, which tends to knock a hole in your argument. We have wasted some picks on 1st round receivers over the years, like two on Stokes and another on Woods.

Crabtree looks set to me now, I would like to see a bigger receiver with good hands in place but see no reason to trade up or spend out on a high price FA.

The problem with Stokes and Woods was that they were too...... Oh, wait I am wrong!!!!

JJ Stokes was 6-4 and 218; Rashaun Woods was 6-2 and 202.

That can't be true, can it?

We do need a deep threat to stretch the D and make the defense defend the entire field! We finally have the QB with arm strength now. We have not had a legit deep threat starting WR on the 49ers since Terrell Owens years ago.

Crabtree & Davis are not consistent deep threats. Both just dropped CK7 bombs in the Super Bowl.

You are right we do need a big RZ target. This is why Cordarrelle Patterson is our guy! He's a big 6'4 RZ target AND explosive deep threat. Patterson is the complete package and can return kicks. Love to see this kid in a 49ers jersey!

Just because Stokes and Woods bombed out don't mean we give up looking for the next Owens or Taylor or Rice. You never give up trying to improve the team.
[ Edited by SkyGod on Feb 17, 2013 at 8:00 AM ]

We already can score from anywhere on the field though. VD is a great deep threat, Crabtree had great YAC this season, and Kaep is a threat to hit a home run with his legs from anywhere on the field. Also williams will be healthy, and before his injury was looking like he might have had chemistry with Kaep in the slot, LMJ and Hunter are scary in open space, and gore simply gets it done by getting whatever he can each and every carry. Jenkins is orrisome, but if e can be what we drafted him for than he should be able to stretch the field as well.

Where we struggled was in RZ passing. We are great and very efficient at running the football in the RZ, passing not so much. Neither crabtree nor VD have been proven to be reliable targets in the RZ.

Im not disagreeing that it would be nice to have a WR that can stretch the field and be a reliable RZ target. Just saying that the stretch the field aspect is less of a factor than the RZ target issue. The single biggest need on offense right now is effective RZ receiving targets.

Agree with most of what both of you are saying! A RZ receiver needs to be strong enough to take the route and not be knocked off. Height can be important but strength and quickness off the line are more important. Our receivers are all fast enough to stretch the field, but wouldn't it be fantastic to get a RZ receiver who can run like a deer?

I'm delighted the receivers are working out with CK because that seemed to be one issue last year...they were not getting strong enough or durable enough. But, much of my complaint from last year had much to do with receivers not being reliable after two were injured...no fourth receiver to step in. Jenkins was not ready and Ginn was never an answer.

My hopes for receivers next year would be:
1) Another RZ guy who can hold his own against big DBs (Seattle)
2) Jenkins becomes the threat they believe he can be.
3) They all work out and become more physically imposing.
4) They avoid the devastating injuries that hindered the team in the post season two seasons in a row.
5) Someone to step up as second and third receivers.

Originally posted by SkyGod:

We do need a deep threat to stretch the D and make the defense defend the entire field! We finally have the QB with arm strength now. We have not had a legit deep threat starting WR on the 49ers since Terrell Owens years ago.

Crabtree & Davis are not consistent deep threats. Both just dropped CK7 bombs in the Super Bowl.

You are right we do need a big RZ target. This is why Cordarrelle Patterson is our guy! He's a big 6'4 RZ target AND explosive deep threat. Patterson is the complete package and can return kicks. Love to see this kid in a 49ers jersey!

Just because Stokes and Woods bombed out don't mean we give up looking for the next Owens or Taylor or Rice. You never give up trying to improve the team.

I just don't think Patterson is going to happen for two reasons:

1) The Niners would have to trade up to get him. That would leave them without the ability to upgrade a position of need with a decent pick.

2) The Niners cannot affort to give up that much value for a development pick.

I completely get the appeal of a big RZ target who can stretch the field. But scoring was not the Niners problem.

After Kaepernick took over the offense averaged 30/game, and the defense gave up 21/game.

In the play-offs, the Niners scored 35/game, but gave up 30/game.

They do need to replace/upgrade some players on offense, but they have got a lot of work to do on defense.

Deep speed and the ability to put pressure on opposing defenses is what we need! I really like Tayvon Austin in this draft...If we can re-sign Delanie Walker we are still set at the TE position. Keep in mind Mario Manningham was coming along very well (as a #2 until his injury). We could look for deep speed later in the draft.
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
Our front office for some reason can't seem to get it right at the WR position. We passed on deshaun Jackson, didn't want to pay for Vincent Jackson (imagine him davis and crabs this year). How many misses have we had in the draft Williams, Hill, Jenkins and in FA with Edwards, issac Bruce, moss and manningham were slightly disappointing. Look at Gercons impact in Washington. It even took Crab 4 seasons to break through. I love what they have done at every position except WR and its not on ALex.
Originally posted by nj9er:
Our front office for some reason can't seem to get it right at the WR position. We passed on deshaun Jackson, didn't want to pay for Vincent Jackson (imagine him davis and crabs this year). How many misses have we had in the draft Williams, Hill, Jenkins and in FA with Edwards, issac Bruce, moss and manningham were slightly disappointing. Look at Gercons impact in Washington. It even took Crab 4 seasons to break through. I love what they have done at every position except WR and its not on ALex.

Totaly agree our FO has continually struggled to put together an elite WR group that can stay and gel together and create good chemistry.

This year there is no excuse even if they can't create cap space for a top FA WR Cordarrelle Patterson is the complete package and is exactly what the 49ers need. He's ranked #1 WR by most analyst's...with 14 picks and the Smith trade still to come they better not screw it up.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I would put it as ONE of our top needs, along with DL and K. But we're certainly not going to pull an Al Davis and go K in the 1st.

Seems like Ginn and Moss could easily be gone after this year. Williams and Manningham will probably stay, but neither one is going to dramatically impact our offense. Jenkins, who knows....

I'll check youtube for some clips of those guys.

I really liked Randle and Sanu last year, and would love to find some players like that in this draft.

I think Manningham has best shot of being here long term than Williams does. Mario is bigger and more physical of a WR.

Draft wise, Hunter and Allen are my favs.

In your opinion, would our first round pick and Alex sent to KC or Cle for thier 2nd and 3rd round picks a logical/realistic move??

KC/Cle move back into the first round and get Alex for a 3rd round pick

9ers move from the 31st pick to the 33rd or 38th. And recieve an early 3rd round pick that could potenially be packaged to get back into the 2nd. I have this hope that we package some mid round picks to bring in some needed quality depth and use our comp picks and perhapes move some other picks to stock pile next year.

Your thoughts
Share 49ersWebzone