LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 289 users in the forums

WRs in the 2013 draft

Some of you don't want to move up and draft a stud WR in Patterson and also don't want to sign a top WR FA in Bowe or Wallace.

I seen all our SB teams. WR's Rice & Taylor were absolute keys to our offensive attack and success.

So tell us then...those of you who continually want to draft or sign 2nd and 3rd tier WR''s that never work out WHEN are the 49ers ever going to have 2 WR threats like Rice & Taylor again? And if you don't draft or sign a top WR how the hell are you ever going to get one?
[ Edited by SkyGod on Feb 16, 2013 at 8:20 AM ]
Originally posted by Butter:
I really hope the Niners do NOT trade up for Patterson. Yes, he has the measureables and he's fast, but he's also very raw. He's going to need some time to develop in the NFL. It is tempting with his versatility to run/catch/play S/T and I'm sure eventually he'd be a beast in Roman's offense. But the Niners need players who can contribute NOW.

WR is a tricky position to draft this year. There is a lot of depth and talent, but I really believe that with the depth and talent at DL, they must upgrade the DE/NT spots (maybe even the first 2 picks).

With the depth of talent in this draft, I think Baalke should target a less popular name who's polished and can move the chains. Someone like Stedman Bailey.

The one exception to this post is IF they can trade Alex Smith for a 2nd or 3rd. They they could upgrade the DL and WR early.

All college WR's coming into the NFL will need time to develop, including Stedman Bailey.

But we also need help in our secondary and with our pass rush.

Any DB's and DL we may draft will also need time to develop.

Who's going to start outside with KingCrab and how are we going to get said player? Again, i'm talking about a #1 or #2 stud WR and not another 2nd or 3rd level WR we already been through enough of them.
Originally posted by SkyGod:
Some of you don't want to move up and draft a stud WR in Patterson and also don't want to sign a top WR FA in Bowe or Wallace.

I seen all our SB teams. WR's Rice & Taylor were absolute keys to our offensive attack and success.

So tell us then...those of you who continually want to draft or sign 2nd and 3rd tier WR''s that never work out WHEN are the 49ers ever going to have 2 WR threats like Rice & Taylor again? And if you don't draft or sign a top WR how the hell are you ever going to get one?

JT was a 3rd round pick, which tends to knock a hole in your argument. We have wasted some picks on 1st round receivers over the years, like two on Stokes and another on Woods.

Crabtree looks set to me now, I would like to see a bigger receiver with good hands in place but see no reason to trade up or spend out on a high price FA.
I want Mike Wallace signed FA. He is everything AJ Jenkins was and is expected be but Wallace is a LOT Better and even faster and Proven and still YOUNG also. That would open up our offense immensely, we'd have a top 5 offense and a top 5 defense wow
Originally posted by English:
JT was a 3rd round pick, which tends to knock a hole in your argument. We have wasted some picks on 1st round receivers over the years, like two on Stokes and another on Woods.

Crabtree looks set to me now, I would like to see a bigger receiver with good hands in place but see no reason to trade up or spend out on a high price FA.

Then how are you going to get another top WR like the 2 studs Atlanta and the Ravens have? You just proved my point your another dude who doesn't want to go after another top WR!

And as someone else pointed out here's the list in no order of 2nd and 3rd tier WR's the 49ers have gone through in recent years that all pretty much either sucked or contributed not very much...

Moss
Edwards
Bruce
Bryant
etc...
Originally posted by SkyGod:
I really hope the Niners do NOT trade up for Patterson. Yes, he has the measureables and he's fast, but he's also very raw. He's going to need some time to develop in the NFL. It is tempting with his versatility to run/catch/play S/T and I'm sure eventually he'd be a beast in Roman's offense. But the Niners need players who can contribute NOW.

WR is a tricky position to draft this year. There is a lot of depth and talent, but I really believe that with the depth and talent at DL, they must upgrade the DE/NT spots (maybe even the first 2 picks).

With the depth of talent in this draft, I think Baalke should target a less popular name who's polished and can move the chains. Someone like Stedman Bailey.

The one exception to this post is IF they can trade Alex Smith for a 2nd or 3rd. They they could upgrade the DL and WR early.

All college WR's coming into the NFL will need time to develop, including Stedman Bailey.

But we also need help in our secondary and with our pass rush.

Any DB's and DL we may draft will also need time to develop.

Who's going to start outside with KingCrab and how are we going to get said player? Again, i'm talking about a #1 or #2 stud WR and not another 2nd or 3rd level WR we already been through enough of them.

Patterson played one year at Tennessee, the rest of his time was at Hutchinson Community College in Kansas. Scouts assessment is that he needs to improve his route running and that he's a very raw football player. He is a phenomenal athlete, and he could do great things in Roman's offense. But I'm concerned with his ability to digest it all, and his ability to run crisp routes.

Let's be clear, I love Patterson. I'd love to have his as a raw, developmental #3 that could be an All-Pro someday. But on a team competing for a SB slot, I don't think they can afford to wait. I think they should spend some FA money a veteran WR and draft a project WR or two later in the draft.
Patterson played one year at Tennessee, the rest of his time was at Hutchinson Community College in Kansas. Scouts assessment is that he needs to improve his route running and that he's a very raw football player. He is a phenomenal athlete, and he could do great things in Roman's offense. But I'm concerned with his ability to digest it all, and his ability to run crisp routes.

Let's be clear, I love Patterson. I'd love to have his as a raw, developmental #3 that could be an All-Pro someday. But on a team competing for a SB slot, I don't think they can afford to wait. I think they should spend some FA money a veteran WR and draft a project WR or two later in the draft.

Patterson is not the truth. This is a very deep draft at WR. No reason we have to draft WR in the first round yet again.

In other words. I agree.
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Feb 16, 2013 at 11:24 AM ]

Worries about Patterson being able to grasp running NFL routes is of zero concern to me...c'mon Harbaugh is gonna get this kid the coaching he needs to develop.

And what if they resign Goldson and don't have the money to sign any FA WR's?

Should we...

a) reach for a 3rd round WR and draft him with our 1st like AJ Jenkins?
b} draft another mid round WR that is nowhere near as good as Patterson?
c} with our limited cap space 14 picks and the best QB on the market we trade up and get our young stud 6'4 playmaker deep threat WR now?

We can't have our cake and eat it too. If they resign Goldson...Wallace & Bowe and the rest of the FA WR's are very likely not coming to the 49ers.

The next best option is we go after the best WR in the draft Cordarrelle Patterson. And another factor here is look at the players we gotta resign in 2014! We won't be in the hunt for any of the top FA WR's in 2014 either. Move up and take Patterson now or else the Rams or Seahawks will.

Also i know what you are saying we need someone good to start outside with Crabtree right now and any drafted WR may not be able to start right away.

But we also desperately need to finally get our big target young stud WR we have not had since TO and this Patterson kid has an elite skill set we gotta get him!

If they resign Goldson maybe they can still find a way to tweak the cap enough to get maybe a Greg Jennings for a lot less than a Wallace or a Bowe to start opposite KingCrab. Then also still move up in the draft to get Patterson a possible future #1 WR pro bowler to bring along and develop.

Crabtree
Jennings
Manningham (if healthy)
Patterson
Williams
Jenkins
Several WRs drafted after the 1st round will outperform those drafted before them. Would hate to burn yet another #1 on a receiver (while ignoring ailing secondary, d-line) only to watch other teams get better value later.

And I like how Jenkins is cast off as a bust after one season when he had very little chance to play anyway.

I agree the 49ers need to draft at least 2 WRs in this draft but this draft is super deep with #2 type WRs. No need to grab one in the 1st round.
Grab DaRick Rogers in the 3rd and Chad Bumphis in the 6th or 7th round.
Originally posted by Ice49er:
I agree the 49ers need to draft at least 2 WRs in this draft but this draft is super deep with #2 type WRs. No need to grab one in the 1st round.

Plus one on Rodgers. Not familiar with Bumphis.
I'm all for getting a WR in the first 2 rounds and then one in the 5th-7th.
I think Justin Hunter will be the best so he'd be my top pick but we may even need to trade up for him. Tavon Austin is one of my favorite players in the draft and the top playmaker. If the value on them is higher than the best DL available then go for it.

For a late round small school sleeper I really like Brandon Kaufman from Eastern Washington. 6'5" 215lbs. 93 receptions, 1850 yards, 16 TD's. Could be a steal late in the draft. His 40 time at the combine is big for him as he's not the fastest guy. He is working with a speed coach right now.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Should have drafted Marvin Jones last year
Originally posted by 49ersGiants7:
Originally posted by Ice49er:

Plus one on Rodgers. Not familiar with Bumphis.

Definitely agree with you on Rogers in the 3rd. He's really good at beating CBs off the line of scrimmage and makes the tough catch in traffic pretty consistently. IMO, he could eventually be an Anquan Boldin-type of WR, just not quite as big and physical (same style and toughness though). Not overly concerned with the off-field stuff since there's enough vets on the roster to keep him on the straight and narrow path.

In addition to Rogers, I'll throw a wild-card name out there as a late-round pick/UDFA. Former Army QB Trent Steelman, who's converting to WR. Kid is tough as nails, can run with ball, has shown great hands in all-star games/practices and has pretty decent size for a slot guy (5'11", 208). IMO, he's got the talent to be the next Julian Edelman or possibly a Danny Amendola-type though only younger and not so injury-prone.

Steelman might even be able to do some option/wildcat stuff in this offense. Apparently, his Army service commitment can be deferred because he's pursuing a pro sports career, so he could be in camp this year.

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 16, 2013 at 5:06 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone