There are 122 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

#1priority is Dline help!!

Sheldon Richardson seems like he's more of a penetrating 4-3 DT. He is very talented though, and would likely contribute in any scheme.

What about Jonathan Jenkins? Is he too big? I haven't really had the chance to watch him play.

The Dline that I am the most interested in at this point are probably

Jonathan Hankins (Niners would have to trade up too high though)
Jonathan Jenkins
Shariff Floyd
Brandon Williams
Margus Hunt
Jesse Williams
I watch jenkins plays and he is honestly the best option imho. I think he will make it late into the first. Hes super strong and very quick for his size. The thing i like most about him its his aggressiveness. He's going to collapse the pocket and require the o line to commit multiple blockers which is the kinda thing that creates pressure on the ends. The combine will be interesting. If his fitness is top notch this guy is going could bring our pass rush to the next level. Downside is, we need a DE and Jenkins its 350 and won't be able to play every down. I would rather a solid first ound DE/DT that we can develop. Ansah, Star, Hankins but we would have to trade up. Alex Smith and our first round for a 15-20? Also Margus hunt is a long term prospect that may make it to the end of the second but this guy is scary.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SoCal9er:
Might have to address this via free agency. How likely is it that a good DL will be available late in the first round?

Kendall Reyes was available in the late 1st round last year but the 49ers decided to go with a WR that never plays instead.

Not only does he not play, he rarely suites up.
Originally posted by Butter:
Sheldon Richardson seems like he's more of a penetrating 4-3 DT. He is very talented though, and would likely contribute in any scheme.

What about Jonathan Jenkins? Is he too big? I haven't really had the chance to watch him play.

The Dline that I am the most interested in at this point are probably

Jonathan Hankins (Niners would have to trade up too high though)
Jonathan Jenkins
Shariff Floyd
Brandon Williams
Margus Hunt
Jesse Williams
Hunt reminds me of Cowboy he is a full motor guy 6-7 and 280 and could put a few more lbs on and play DE in our 3-4 system.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 110,701
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/167851-sheldon-richardson-dt-missouri/
Margus hunt had a great bowl game. I think it was sheritan bowl but if anyone wanted some good footage that would be a good game to watch. Hes a little light at 280 so he would need to bulk up but this guy is championship disk thrower and shot put. He knows how to stay healthy. I dont know if this is crazy but i could see him at olb like aldon in his first couple of years.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Margus hunt had a great bowl game. I think it was sheritan bowl but if anyone wanted some good footage that would be a good game to watch. Hes a little light at 280 so he would need to bulk up but this guy is championship disk thrower and shot put. He knows how to stay healthy. I dont know if this is crazy but i could see him at olb like aldon in his first couple of years.

He'll be 26 years old when the 2013 season starts. My worry is that he's extremely raw and by the time he fully develops, he'll be on the brink of 30.
Originally posted by eonblue:
I watch jenkins plays and he is honestly the best option imho. I think he will make it late into the first. Hes super strong and very quick for his size. The thing i like most about him its his aggressiveness. He's going to collapse the pocket and require the o line to commit multiple blockers which is the kinda thing that creates pressure on the ends. The combine will be interesting. If his fitness is top notch this guy is going could bring our pass rush to the next level. Downside is, we need a DE and Jenkins its 350 and won't be able to play every down. I would rather a solid first ound DE/DT that we can develop. Ansah, Star, Hankins but we would have to trade up. Alex Smith and our first round for a 15-20? Also Margus hunt is a long term prospect that may make it to the end of the second but this guy is scary.

I like Jenkins, I think his strength will cause problems for offenses as he's going to be much more of a handful to deal with than Soap. A big guy like that who can reliably collapse the pocket can be a nightmare when you have talented edge rushers like Aldon.

I don't see the downside, they will also likely need an NT too, not sure if Williams is the answer. I'd rather them take someone talented that locks down a position than reach for a 3-4 DE just because.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I like Jenkins, I think his strength will cause problems for offenses as he's going to be much more of a handful to deal with than Soap. A big guy like that who can reliably collapse the pocket can be a nightmare when you have talented edge rushers like Aldon.

I don't see the downside, they will also likely need an NT too, not sure if Williams is the answer. I'd rather them take someone talented that locks down a position than reach for a 3-4 DE just because.
I don't think reaching for a DE is the answer either and the chances are all these high projection DE/DT at least a couple of gems will make it to the caro pick in the third. Jenkins would sure up the NT. I like him more than williams. Their styles are very different. Williams isnt aggressive but hes a genius at covering up the C and G gaps. A NT that can do that on pass.rushing line is so important. Kawaan short is great at that too. I wonder if we need a CB or S in the first though.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He'll be 26 years old when the 2013 season starts. My worry is that he's extremely raw and by the time he fully develops, he'll be on the brink of 30.

I think he could be a good hybrid OLB/DE he looks closer to 275 very lean so he could come in on third down for aldon or even ahmad and aldon drops into coverage. But he would ultimately have to gain weight for DE. I have a really good feeling about this guy in 2-3 years though.
We need to draft at SS or FS. please....
Originally posted by eonblue:
I think he could be a good hybrid OLB/DE he looks closer to 275 very lean so he could come in on third down for aldon or even ahmad and aldon drops into coverage. But he would ultimately have to gain weight for DE. I have a really good feeling about this guy in 2-3 years though.

In 2-3 years he'll be on the verge of 30, he'll be hitting his peak at a time when other players are beginning to decline, that isn't ideal.
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
We need to draft at SS or FS. please....

I've been down with Baccari Rambo in Round 2 for awhile, if they can make it happen, I'm all for it, he's the centerfielder type of safety that the 49ers really need.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
In 2-3 years he'll be on the verge of 30, he'll be hitting his peak at a time when other players are beginning to decline, that isn't ideal.

Good point.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,553
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
We need to draft at SS or FS. please....


I think we're fine for a while with Goldson and Witner.