LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 188 users in the forums

Ryan Swope-WR-Texas A&M

This guy's an interesting prospect as well. He's like Wes Welker v2.0, very quick, great at getting yards after the catch, can put him in the slot to create all sorts of matchup issues for defenses. If Kyle Williams doesn't come back fully healthy, Swope could be a replacement for him. The one thing I've consistently heard and seen written about Swope is that he's "game-ready." He's highly intelligent, a very skilled route-runner and considered ready to contribute early on. He's drawn comparisons to Danny Amendola for his toughness, dude has been fearless going across the middle and has some great, reliable hands. His size isn't great, but at 6 feet, its not terrible either and pretty decent for a slot WR.

More impressively, he's gotten it done and found ways to make plays against high-level competition such as Alabama who he kept fighting to make plays all game and went over 100 yards against their hard-nosed defense.

What you'd be getting with Swope is a very hard-working player, a very intelligent player and a guy with a great set of hands and tremendous quickness to get separation off the line. I would not be unhappy with this selection at all. he seems like a Harbaugh type of player. It may not always look pretty, but he'll work his ass to get it done and make big plays.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 20, 2012 at 9:46 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Would love to draft him, exactly what I was thinking of him too. I think he would fit right in with the 9ers, he'd be a killer slot receiver in the NFL. I wonder if he would be available in the 3rd round? Honestly I'd rather wait to draft Swope then take Justin Hunter early, I like the experience in Swope more and toughness.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Would love to draft him, exactly what I was thinking of him too. I think he would fit right in with the 9ers, he'd be a killer slot receiver in the NFL. I wonder if he would be available in the 3rd round? Honestly I'd rather wait to draft Swope then take Justin Hunter early, I like the experience in Swope more and toughness.

My criteria for wide receivers includes guys that work their asses off, that are intelligent, might not have the most dynamic athletic ability but will outwork anyone else. Swope seems to me like a guy who doesn't quit, he doesn't have tremendous natural attributes so he has to really put a tremendous amount of effort into learning routes better than anyone else, film study...etc. He seems like he'd be the perfect kind of player for a Harbaugh coached team.
I would enjoy a selection of Ryan Swope. He's been a clutch player at A&M for a while now. Dude catches everything.
My favorite player in the draft, really hoping he falls to us with a third rounder. Great speed, great hands, plays with tons of fire, and used to a QB who extends the play with his feet.
Originally posted by DONBIS:
I would enjoy a selection of Ryan Swope. He's been a clutch player at A&M for a while now. Dude catches everything.

1. Ability to separate
2. Consistent hands
3. Hard worker

I don't ask for much and with those, Swope delivers and then some.
That's what I'm talking about! I want a Wes Welker/Victor Cruz type WR. Someone who is quick, speedy, who can get separation, and constant a threat every time he's on the field.
Originally posted by sacleads:
That's what I'm talking about! I want a Wes Welker/Victor Cruz type WR. Someone who is quick, speedy, who can get separation, and constant a threat every time he's on the field.

Swope really isn't all that fast, but he's extremely quick, he's the guy who gives defenses fits underneath as he gets quick and is perfect to utilize on slants and shorter passing plays that he can turn into much longer gains.
I like this along with a big TE with good hands that would compliment Vernon Davis's game.
Swope should be a 49er. If he isn't a 49er, I feel like he's going to be a Patriot, and nobody wants that. He's the ideal slot receiver, able and not scared of going down the middle, very well developed route-running skills, good quickness, finds ways to make plays no matter what.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
If not Ryan Swope then I hope we draft Connor Vernon outta duke, that boy is a beast and fearless!!!
Been on the Swope bandwagon. I hope we take him in the 3rd.
An interesting alternative later on could be Luke Tasker- Cornell- WR- 5-11, 190, SR

in 2012 he had 75 receptions, 1207 yards, 8 TD's, and a long of 54. He also has special teams value at PR.He had 4 games with 10+ receptions, and thee games over 150 yards, 177, 280, 201. I really like him.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Jan 15, 2013 at 9:04 PM ]
Swope is my (and probably the zones) draft crush this year. He is tough and clutch, and wouldn't limit him to just the slot but could see him being a Decker-like #2. Looking at the Jenkins pick along with the NFC west defenses... to me it would make sense to pencil Jenkins in the slot and go after a solid #2 guy that can handle the physicality Seattle CB's will give us while being able to put moves on the smaller CB's of StL. A guy like Swope fits the bill perfectly.
[ Edited by 5280High on Jan 16, 2013 at 9:57 AM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran
MY BOY SWOPE GETTING SOME LOVE..

As an Aggie fan I think this guy REALLY is the next Wes Welker. I know there have been more next Wes Welkers than there has been the next Michael Jordan. But this short white WR really does remind me of Wes welker.

As much as I'd love to draft this guy... where does he fit? We would have to have Kyle as the main return man and let Ginn go altogether just to make room. Which I'd be more than happy to do to get a WR that can actually help on offense.

I dont remember Swope as a returner in his career so it would make alot of sense to go with Kyle and cut Ginn. but man i'd be stoked.
Share 49ersWebzone