LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

Any future JJ Watt(S) or Justin Smith(S) in this years 2013 DE/NT draft class?

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
I agree about Ansah. He would be an interesting developmental pick. Imagine what the Niners coaching staff could do with all that potential.

that's the beauty of all these fast DE coming out of college. Aldon will evolve into a DE because hes going to put on weight over the next couple of years. Hes too young not to be 20 pods heavier by time he's 28. I think we can use these light DE like aldon smith, Ezekiel ansah, and dion jordan as OLBs. In 3-4 you'll have some a full grown DE.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I like Steinkuhler, he's a beast against the run, has a terrific motor but isn't a natural pass-rusher, nor does he have the quickest first step. Would be solid for depth though, a very hard-working, intelligent guy with an NFL pedigree.

I was about to ask you Steinkuler, given his name and what school he went to, but you confirmed in. Those 2nd generation players always intrigue me. They seem to be at worse, hardworkers who always provide good depth or a possible good/great pick like a Chris Long or Clay Matthews.
Joe Kruger, anyone? Don't know enough about him to say, but seems to have the frame and the credentials. Anyone with insight?
Will Sutton from Arizona State anybody? Wow i can't believe nobody is talking about this guy or taking this guy serious. I know he lacks the size of NFL DEs but this guy is a BEAST! At 6'2" (270 lbs) he plays a lot bigger than that. He doesn't have the fancy stats because he demands double teams and will free up LBs to make plays, penetrates through the line scrimmage and rush the passer really good. I think hes a sleeper that we can get on the 2nd or 3rd round. Im not saying that he'll come in and start rite away but hes got talent and I think he'll be an upgrade over our current backup IMHO. Watched his highlights on youtube and Im very impressed with his skills and motor. Also he played against tough opponents in the Pac 12 and dominates....
There seems like there are a lot of prospects out there. Some are highly regarded and some are under the radar as usual. With a deep class at defensive line, we may be able to stay put and pick up 2-3 guys (two DEs, one NT) in the draft and let them compete with Dobbs, Tufuaku, Williams, RJF and Soap if the last two are re-signed. Even without the injury to Justin Smith I think it would be put up or shut up for time for our defensive line backups.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
There seems like there are a lot of prospects out there. Some are highly regarded and some are under the radar as usual. With a deep class at defensive line, we may be able to stay put and pick up 2-3 guys (two DEs, one NT) in the draft and let them compete with Dobbs, Tufuaku, Williams, RJF and Soap if the last two are re-signed. Even without the injury to Justin Smith I think it would be put up or shut up for time for our defensive line backups.

• Envy
  • Veteran
I personally thought we should have went out for Jared Crick last year. He had the potential and at 4th round good value. That being said I think our aim this offseason is to ensure there IS a successor to both Smith and Soap.
Lets send Alex plus 10 picks to Houston for Watt so Cowboy can retire in peace.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Joe Kruger, anyone? Don't know enough about him to say, but seems to have the frame and the credentials. Anyone with insight?

No expert, but I am not a fan of his height inside. He starts out low, but quickly loses that bend. His short area quickness seems more stiff than fluid.

My two favorites so far for Justin's heir apparent are Sharrif Floyd and Datone Jones.

Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Will Sutton from Arizona State anybody? Wow i can't believe nobody is talking about this guy or taking this guy serious. I know he lacks the size of NFL DEs but this guy is a BEAST! At 6'2" (270 lbs) he plays a lot bigger than that. He doesn't have the fancy stats because he demands double teams and will free up LBs to make plays, penetrates through the line scrimmage and rush the passer really good. I think hes a sleeper that we can get on the 2nd or 3rd round. Im not saying that he'll come in and start rite away but hes got talent and I think he'll be an upgrade over our current backup IMHO. Watched his highlights on youtube and Im very impressed with his skills and motor. Also he played against tough opponents in the Pac 12 and dominates....
That's because he's staying at ASU.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
That's because he's staying at ASU.

Datone Jones (6'4", 280) has to be in the conversation. He's bigger than both Justin and McDonald when they came out of college, and has a lot of the same characteristics as Bryant Young (quick, powerful, relentless, etc.).
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Datone Jones (6'4", 280) has to be in the conversation. He's bigger than both Justin and McDonald when they came out of college, and has a lot of the same characteristics as Bryant Young (quick, powerful, relentless, etc.).

Very underrated and not really talked about because of the other talent in this draft.
Share 49ersWebzone