LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

Any future JJ Watt(S) or Justin Smith(S) in this years 2013 DE/NT draft class?

Originally posted by Kezar1965:
Lotulelei is not out of reach IF: we can trade alex smith along with our 1, 2,3, 4, 5, 6, 7th round draft choices. teams that might be interested include K.C., buffalo, maybe Oakland if they want to cut c palmer for cap reasons and Jax. This trade would still leave us with plenty of draft choices especially if we get a 3rd round compensatory. Might be some variants in the draft choices offered also, such as (2) third rounders instead of our second round choice. Key would be the value alex smith brings in draft class woefully short of franchise QBs. Now is it worth it? idk. how good is Lotulelei? If i knew that we could get 8 or 9 sacks a year and a huge run stuffing presence out of him, i would do it.

LMAO!!!!

Some people on this board are too much to take
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by strickac:
I 100% agree that we need to start thinking about drafting a high caliber DE to bring along (and depth) behind Smith/Ray; however, the pressing issue is NT. We are probably going to lose Soap and RJF doesn't look like the answer. With Aldon starting our rushing defense is dropping off a bit, IMO. We need some bulk up the middle. We've need had a high caliber NT for our 3-4.

I hope we can grab a NT an DE early. The strength of our defense has been stopping the running game and now were seeing a decline there.

Ansah in the first round to develop as a 3-4, trade up in the 2nd round to snag Jonathan Jenkins or Short.

Spot on! Ezekiel Ansah is an absolute monster. He's going to be a stud in NFL. The scary thing is how raw he is. He's the most natural 3-4 OLB coming out. He's so good at shedding bloks that e could play 3-4 DE down the road, though not ideal. He's a cant miss player and is going to go high in the first. He's a monster.
Spot on! Ezekiel Ansah is an absolute monster. He's going to be a stud in NFL. The scary thing is how raw he is. He's the most natural 3-4 OLB coming out. He's so good at shedding bloks that e could play 3-4 DE down the road, though not ideal. He's a cant miss player and is going to go high in the first. He's a monster.

Here's why I like Ansah... While he lacks the anchor and base to play 3-4 DE, his freakish size and ability could allow us to use him as a situational pass rusher in a variety of spots.

On passing downs, you could use him as a one-gap tackle the way the Giants use Tuck and JPP. You could also use him in a traditional 4-3 DE role on certain downs or as a standup edge rusher in 3-4 looks.
I'm definitely on the Kawann Short bandwagon!
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:

Here's why I like Ansah... While he lacks the anchor and base to play 3-4 DE, his freakish size and ability could allow us to use him as a situational pass rusher in a variety of spots.

On passing downs, you could use him as a one-gap tackle the way the Giants use Tuck and JPP. You could also use him in a traditional 4-3 DE role on certain downs or as a standup edge rusher in 3-4 looks.

He could definitely play 3-4 DE; although, he's so good at LB that it would be a waste of his skills. He has great hands and has a rare ability to shed blocks. He'd quickly compete for a starting OLB spot on our roster. Don't forget that we took a long look at Bruce Irwin last offseason. The team isn't content at OLB. As for 3-4 DE, he'd need to thicken up a bit, but his strength and pass rushing skills would force double teams.
Originally posted by PTulini:
I'm definitely on the Kawann Short bandwagon!

I'd love to see Short (or Star) at NT, but he should be long gone. He's reminds me of BJ Raji, but with better awareness. He'll be a top 15 pick.
Yea I think kawann will be taken early but maybe we coukd trade up if it dont cost much.
I think Jesse Williams might make it to us. I think he has the potential to be an amazing nt.
Alex Okafor is very raw but he could develop into a solid de.
Margus hunt is probably the most exciting propect but hes 25 and some people think thats to old to bw a firat round pick. This guy wont make it to the second rd.
Ezekeil Ansah might make it to us but hes more of a bull rushing olb.
With the amount of 3-4 olbs and teams that may be forced to go after a QB early (like ponder and tannehill in years past), there could be some quality DEs dropping in the 17-25 range which we could target to trade up. I think Baalke is gonna take the shotgun approach like last year with RB and WR... Sign a bargain basement vet, draft another DE high and possibly use another late rounder on an additional DE, then make em all compete with whose on the team already (williams, tuku, rjf, dobbs) and may the best men win.

The real shame of this smith injury is that Dobbs is also out, him am Aldon work well together and we still won't know what Dobbs can do against starters.
If we go 3-4 end in the 1st round (which after seeing our D play without Justin Smith we might have too....), I think we should take Sylvester Williams, DT North Carolina. He has been listed between 305-320lbs, 6-2 and 6-3. What I like most about him is his high energy motor and ability to thrive in physical contact. He doesn't just hold a point, he is relentlessly beating down the lineman. Seems like a guy with genuine love of the game and some high football IQ (sniffing out screens). He looks very quick and light on his feet. I think he would be a great understudy for Justin Smith.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Yea I think kawann will be taken early but maybe we coukd trade up if it dont cost much.
I think Jesse Williams might make it to us. I think he has the potential to be an amazing nt.
Alex Okafor is very raw but he could develop into a solid de.
Margus hunt is probably the most exciting propect but hes 25 and some people think thats to old to bw a firat round pick. This guy wont make it to the second rd.
Ezekeil Ansah might make it to us but hes more of a bull rushing olb.

I like that Jesse Williams plays with an incredible mean streak, he's a very physical guy, very tough, plays like he's in some bar brawl back Down Under, gives absolutely no quarter, never bad to have a guys like that around.

Originally posted by 5280High:
With the amount of 3-4 olbs and teams that may be forced to go after a QB early (like ponder and tannehill in years past), there could be some quality DEs dropping in the 17-25 range which we could target to trade up. I think Baalke is gonna take the shotgun approach like last year with RB and WR... Sign a bargain basement vet, draft another DE high and possibly use another late rounder on an additional DE, then make em all compete with whose on the team already (williams, tuku, rjf, dobbs) and may the best men win.

The real shame of this smith injury is that Dobbs is also out, him am Aldon work well together and we still won't know what Dobbs can do against starters.

I doubt you'll see that, there simply isn't the talent to draft early. This could be one of the worst draft's for quarterbacks in a long time. Geno Smith is the only real first round quality talent I see, although someone might reach a bit for Barkley, but other than that?.........................

I think that this is a very questionable draft for 3-4 DE's, there are some guys with terrific potential, but also have various weaknesses, several of the guys listed as potential 3-4 DE's probably work out better as 4-3 DT's. I'm leaning towards either another high yield pass-rusher or an NT like Jenkins in case Soap isn't resigned. Last year was a good draft to snag a quality 3-4 DE and they punted.
I like that Jesse Williams plays with an incredible mean streak, he's a very physical guy, very tough, plays like he's in some bar brawl back Down Under, gives absolutely no quarter, never bad to have a guys like that around.

Yea rumor is he bench can bench 600 pnds. I would rather this guy over jenkins and I think Jenkins will get picked.before him. What I don't like about Jenkins as a first round pick is that a guy his size should be able to runover college kids like he does. I feel like this is his ceiling. I dont think he gets any faster and I think he gets heavier and at the same timw more out of Shape.

Jesse williams tho seems like with conditioning and a couple more years of development and we have a mammoth NT.

I doubt you'll see that, there simply isn't the talent to draft early. This could be one of the worst draft's for quarterbacks in a long time. Geno Smith is the only real first round quality talent I see, although someone might reach a bit for Barkley, but other than that?.........................

Just wait until the hype train gets rolling, FA passes, and teams are still left desperate. Happens every year. I don't recall RGIII being a top 2 guy this time last year. Besides that, Locker, Ponder, and Gabbert say
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
........is a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB. Does not have the size to play 3-4 DE.

Neither did Justin Smith when he came out. He was a 6'4, 270 pound 4-3 DE. The beauty is that the 49ers don't need a guy to take over immediately but a couple seasons down the road. With that in mind, Ezekiel Ansah of of BYU is a guy I like a lot. He has tremendous speed and athleticism, an explosive first step and has the frame to add another 15-20 pounds easily. (6'6, 270)

I agree about Ansah. He would be an interesting developmental pick. Imagine what the Niners coaching staff could do with all that potential.
Share 49ersWebzone