LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 297 users in the forums

Any future JJ Watt(S) or Justin Smith(S) in this years 2013 DE/NT draft class?

There are no players like Watt or Smith in this draft for the role they play
Bjoern Werner.
Originally posted by domingo:
Bjoern Werner.

........is a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB. Does not have the size to play 3-4 DE.
Trade for (dare I say it) SUE!!!!!!!!!!!
Justin Smith was about the same size as Werner when he came out. Same height but 10 pounds heavier. Werner is the closest thing to Smith that there is in this draft. Relentless and talented.
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Trade for (dare I say it) SUE!!!!!!!!!!!

It looses it's effect when you spell his name wrong... and there's no way Detroit lets him go
I 100% agree that we need to start thinking about drafting a high caliber DE to bring along (and depth) behind Smith/Ray; however, the pressing issue is NT. We are probably going to lose Soap and RJF doesn't look like the answer. With Aldon starting our rushing defense is dropping off a bit, IMO. We need some bulk up the middle. We've need had a high caliber NT for our 3-4.

I hope we can grab a NT an DE early. The strength of our defense has been stopping the running game and now were seeing a decline there.
Ian looked pretty good last night. I don't know if he's an answer or a good rotation guy.

NT & DE are top priorities.

I also feel we need better rotation guys. NOT impresses with Tuk & Dobbs.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
........is a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB. Does not have the size to play 3-4 DE.

Neither did Justin Smith when he came out. He was a 6'4, 270 pound 4-3 DE. The beauty is that the 49ers don't need a guy to take over immediately but a couple seasons down the road. With that in mind, Ezekiel Ansah of of BYU is a guy I like a lot. He has tremendous speed and athleticism, an explosive first step and has the frame to add another 15-20 pounds easily. (6'6, 270)
Originally posted by strickac:
I 100% agree that we need to start thinking about drafting a high caliber DE to bring along (and depth) behind Smith/Ray; however, the pressing issue is NT. We are probably going to lose Soap and RJF doesn't look like the answer. With Aldon starting our rushing defense is dropping off a bit, IMO. We need some bulk up the middle. We've need had a high caliber NT for our 3-4.

I hope we can grab a NT an DE early. The strength of our defense has been stopping the running game and now were seeing a decline there.

Ansah in the first round to develop as a 3-4, trade up in the 2nd round to snag Jonathan Jenkins or Short.

Originally posted by domingo:
Justin Smith was about the same size as Werner when he came out. Same height but 10 pounds heavier. Werner is the closest thing to Smith that there is in this draft. Relentless and talented.

I tend to agree. Werner is a little smaller than Smith was when he got drafted, but he's got a monster motor and is absolutely relentless, plus he's got a high ceiling to boot. I just think he'll go to early in the draft for the 49ers to have a shot at him.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 24, 2012 at 1:48 PM ]
Margus Hunt could be a possibility.
David Bass could be a sleeper.
Originally posted by TommyFrazier:

He scares me. He's got tremendous potential, but also a high bust factor. Not sure ultimately what he'll end up as but he's definitely a project to be worked with.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by TommyFrazier:

He scares me. He's got tremendous potential, but also a high bust factor. Not sure ultimately what he'll end up as but he's definitely a project to be worked with.

looks like a beast to me
Share 49ersWebzone