There are 108 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Any future JJ Watt(S) or Justin Smith(S) in this years 2013 DE/NT draft class?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by TommyFrazier:
Margus Hunt could be a possibility.

He scares me. He's got tremendous potential, but also a high bust factor. Not sure ultimately what he'll end up as but he's definitely a project to be worked with.

looks like a beast to me
Originally posted by schmons:
looks like a beast to me

Yeah, so did Steve Emtman and Mike Mamula. Like I said, his potential is sky-high, but the bust factor is considerably higher than for most as well, he's extremely raw at this point still.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

He scares me. He's got tremendous potential, but also a high bust factor. Not sure ultimately what he'll end up as but he's definitely a project to be worked with.

Dude was an animal tonight at the Hawaii Bowl 3 sacks against Fresno St.. Would absolutely love to have him.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Anyone know or seen Jared Smith DT outta New Hampshire play?? The guy looks like a Justin Smith clone, but honestly haven't seen him play before.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Dude was an animal tonight at the Hawaii Bowl 3 sacks against Fresno St.. Would absolutely love to have him.

he was an animal in the hawaii bowl... anyone see tape of him the rest of the year?
I think Hunt's stock is going to go up at the combine. He'll test off the charts for athleticism, and someone will see him as "the next Pierre Paul" type player.

The problem is that there aren't a lot of tall 3/4 DE in this years draft. Most of them are the 6'3" variety. Hunt will be one of the few with speed and long arms that's big enough to play off the edge in the 3/4.
[ Edited by Butter on Dec 25, 2012 at 1:42 AM ]
SMU coach June Jones has a knack for taking a chance on athletes from other sports,
and he liked what he saw, from the 82-inch wing span to the 4.7 speed in the 40.

Back-story on Margus ... went to SMU, to be coach by Wollman, who coached another Estonian Track & Field champion.
Long story short -- turned to football, to absorb the cost of attending SMU, because the Track & Field programme had gone
belly-up. He still wanted to be trained by Wollman, and turned to football on a suggestion.

Per June Jones:
"It's not hard for me to see a world-class athlete who can run like that, has strength like that, has an arm length like that,'' Jones said.
''The first scrimmage we had ... the only thing I didn't know was if he was going to be tough enough. The first play we ran a trap and
hit him real hard, and he wanted to fight. I said, 'OK, we may have a player here.'

Some LINKS:
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/18992316
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1176461-smu-de-margus-hunt-will-be-the-story-of-the-2013-nfl-combine-and-a-top-10-pick
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margus_Hunt
[ Edited by FlayvaMeister on Dec 25, 2012 at 4:31 PM ]
Neither did Justin Smith when he came out. He was a 6'4, 270 pound 4-3 DE. The beauty is that the 49ers don't need a guy to take over immediately but a couple seasons down the road. With that in mind, Ezekiel Ansah of of BYU is a guy I like a lot. He has tremendous speed and athleticism, an explosive first step and has the frame to add another 15-20 pounds easily. (6'6, 270)

Werner's game isn't really suited to 3-4 DE, nor is Ansah's. They both have excellent speed and lack the great anchor that you need for DE. Trying to project someone along the same career path as Justin Smith is going to be difficult. I'd rather just take someone who clearly projects to 3-4 DE.

That said, as an FSU fan who has watched Werner develop at a freakish rate, I would love to get him to play 3-4 OLB. He reminds me a lot of Ahmad Brooks, but with more explosion and better pass rush ability. FSU used him as a stand-up rusher a lot of the time, so it wouldn't be much of an adjustment at all.

My favorite 3-4 DEs in this class are Lotulelei, Sheldon Richardson and Sharrif Floyd.
We should've drafted Derek Wolfe last year. Obviously we didn't know Justin Smith would be injured before the draft, but this guy would have been so valuable to us right about now..
Originally posted by Cooper22:
We should've drafted Derek Wolfe last year. Obviously we didn't know Justin Smith would be injured before the draft, but this guy would have been so valuable to us right about now..

I also liked Wolfe, but he went much higher than I expected. Maybe if Hunt blows up the off season games and workouts, he'll be this years Wolfe.
Kruger, Dave Utah 6-5 300 4.96
Nealy, Spencer Texas A&M 6-5 277 4.87
Steinkuhler, Baker Nebraska 6-5 290 4.98
Campbell, William Michigan 6-5 308 5.19
Lewis-Moore, Kapron Notre Dame 6-4 306 4.89
Dial, Quinton Alabama 6-5 304 5.14
Goodman, Malliciah Clemson 6-4 280 4.74

Are any of these guys better than the Niners current back up DE?
[ Edited by Butter on Dec 25, 2012 at 1:13 PM ]
Not sure who the guy would be but the 73 points given up by the defense since Smith went down suggest that Baalke better snag somebody pretty good.

Good side of a bad situation is that if Smith can't play for the playoffs, they may be drafting in mid-20s.
very ho hum class IMO
I think we need kawaan short from purdue. He can beat a block easily. Tackle the gaps. From the.footage ive watched he could develop into something special.
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Trade for (dare I say it) SUE!!!!!!!!!!!

It looses it's effect when you spell his name wrong... and there's no way Detroit lets him go

Fine Suh....and let him keep effin up.....watch Detroit drop him like a bad habit.....