There are 76 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Bowl Watch!

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by sfout:
His listed weight is 265 but he looks bigger then that so if he is in the 270s then maybe -- Smith's listed weight is 285 so yea maybe after a year in the NFL with the weight program and NFL trainers and diets. He could put on 10+ pound and get near that 285 mark. But if he ways less then then he might be better suited as an OLB or 43 DE.

I don't think he has the mentality of a D-Lineman, not that big a fan of him. I think most of the potential 3-4 OLB's in this draft are under whelming. There isn't many talented pass rushers/edge rushers.

Yea good thing we are just looking for another body to add to the Johnson/Fleming battle to replace Haralson.

So the Music city bowl game is on. Jordan Rodgers is looking half way decent, somewhat flustered. Jordan Matthews is looking good, Zac Stacey isn't doing anything negative or positive.

NC State is definitely focusing on auditioning Glennon's skill set for NFL scouts, very straight forward pro-style plays with play action, some rollouts to show his mobility. So far he's been on target with his throws and his WR/TEs are inconsistent.

LOL...right as I hit enter, Glennon throws an INT to Kenny Ladler! Got flustered by pressure and throw off his back foot, floating a pass to a WR who would've been wide open had it been thrown with any kind of authority.

Great recovery by Ladler, he made the play when it presented itself, might have still been there to make a play if Glennon had thrown it better.

Ladler also just recovered a fumble by a NCS TE and returned it 20+ yards to set Vandy up with great field position.
[ Edited by sfout on Dec 31, 2012 at 9:52 AM ]
Don't really want to make a new thread, but quick guess at top 10 picks since order is set.

1. KC - Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia - Just makes too much sense to go QB even if Smith isn't #1 material
2. Jacksonville - DT Star Lotulelei, Utah
3. Oakland - OT Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M
4. Philadelphia - OT Taylor Lewan, Michigan - Philly REALLY needs a tackle IMO, next best one in the draft
5. Detroit - MLB Manti Te'O, Notre Dame - Not only does this instantly give them a top 10 rush D, but its also about adding leadership and creating a physical nasty attitude on Defense
6. Cleveland - OLB Jarvis Jones, Georgia - Desperately need an impact LB
7. Arizona - OT Jake Matthews, Texas A&M - A need based pick with no QB option on the board
8. Buffalo - DE Damontre Moore, Texas A&M - a 3rd A&M player in the top 10 , Buffalo needs pass rushing end desperately
9. Jets - WR Keenan Allen, Cal - Stephen Hill was banged up and is still a bit of a project, this team needs another young playmaker at WR
10. Tennessee - CB Jonathan Banks, Miss State
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Don't really want to make a new thread, but quick guess at top 10 picks since order is set.

1. KC - Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia - Just makes too much sense to go QB even if Smith isn't #1 material
2. Jacksonville - DT Star Lotulelei, Utah
3. Oakland - OT Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M
4. Philadelphia - OT Taylor Lewan, Michigan - Philly REALLY needs a tackle IMO, next best one in the draft
5. Detroit - MLB Manti Te'O, Notre Dame - Not only does this instantly give them a top 10 rush D, but its also about adding leadership and creating a physical nasty attitude on Defense
6. Cleveland - OLB Jarvis Jones, Georgia - Desperately need an impact LB
7. Arizona - OT Jake Matthews, Texas A&M - A need based pick with no QB option on the board
8. Buffalo - DE Damontre Moore, Texas A&M - a 3rd A&M player in the top 10 , Buffalo needs pass rushing end desperately
9. Jets - WR Keenan Allen, Cal - Stephen Hill was banged up and is still a bit of a project, this team needs another young playmaker at WR
10. Tennessee - CB Jonathan Banks, Miss State

Te'o to DET would be a good move by Schwartz, save face and blatantly try and change the culture of your team by adding a "good little mormon" to your team for leadership. But it could definitely create conflict because Suh clearly thinks he is the leader of the defense and Te'o might not want to challenge him.

Being totally honest I could see Jacksonville trading down 3 - 5 spots, drafting Te'o to provide that same leadership on completely lost defensive unit and draft QB at the top of the 2nd or maybe use that other teams 2nd round pick to move back into the 1st to get the QB.
Still can't believe Detroit was that bad, too much talent. But yeah I think Teo has the natural leadership to bring that team together on defense. Add some dbs , o lineman, and god please a kr, and they should be back to from next year.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Te'o to DET would be a good move by Schwartz, save face and blatantly try and change the culture of your team by adding a "good little mormon" to your team for leadership. But it could definitely create conflict because Suh clearly thinks he is the leader of the defense and Te'o might not want to challenge him.

Being totally honest I could see Jacksonville trading down 3 - 5 spots, drafting Te'o to provide that same leadership on completely lost defensive unit and draft QB at the top of the 2nd or maybe use that other teams 2nd round pick to move back into the 1st to get the QB.

The problem is that is Schwartz,himself, who has created the team culture.
[ Edited by buck on Dec 31, 2012 at 3:21 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:

Thats my point, he can save face by drafting the "Good little mormon from the catholic school" to "change our culture". Ultimately it would backfire IMHO and I dont see Mayhew drafting defense in the 1st that early when they can get a quality tackle in either of the players from A&M, a legitimate #2 opposite CJ if they trade down a few spots and select Keenan Allen, or maybe a DE like Demontre Moore to fill the void of Cliff Avril who they could kick to the curb.

They have a lot of holes on that team, playing a last place schedule and soft conference games 2 years ago really gave them false hope.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:

Thats my point, he can save face by drafting the "Good little mormon from the catholic school" to "change our culture". Ultimately it would backfire IMHO and I dont see Mayhew drafting defense in the 1st that early when they can get a quality tackle in either of the players from A&M, a legitimate #2 opposite CJ if they trade down a few spots and select Keenan Allen, or maybe a DE like Demontre Moore to fill the void of Cliff Avril who they could kick to the curb.

They have a lot of holes on that team, playing a last place schedule and soft conference games 2 years ago really gave them false hope.

I guess you have more faith in Schwartz than I do.

I do not think that he understands his role in building the dysfunctional team culture in Detroit.

But, it is a new year and I should be more hopeful.

Back to the Bowl games.

USC got their clock cleaned by GT. Wittek's dismal quarterback play might helped Barkley's draft status.

Geno Smith did not have a good game.

Boyd from Clemson, on the other hand, had a great game. But, maybe the credit should really go to DeAndre Hopkins.
[ Edited by buck on Jan 1, 2013 at 6:28 AM ]
Anybody going to post a rising and falling list of the draft picks according to how they played in the bowl games?
[ Edited by Ninefan56 on Jan 1, 2013 at 4:32 PM ]
Maybe one of the draft gurus could make its own thread now that we are down to just a couple bowl games left, but who is everyone keeping an eye on tonight in the fiesta bowl?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5280High:
Maybe one of the draft gurus could make its own thread now that we are down to just a couple bowl games left, but who is everyone keeping an eye on tonight in the fiesta bowl?

Oregon

Obviously Kenjon Barner despite no apparent need for an RB it never hurts to watch him play
OG Kyle Long
LB Kiko Alonso
DE/OLB Dion Jordan

Kansas State
CB Nigel Malone
LB Arthur Brown
WR Chris Harper

Pretty much the top 3 from each team in no particular order.
D Anthony Thomas........ WOW
Oregon

Obviously Kenjon Barner despite no apparent need for an RB it never hurts to watch him play
OG Kyle Long
LB Kiko Alonso
DE/OLB Dion Jordan

Kansas State
CB Nigel Malone
LB Arthur Brown
WR Chris Harper

Some deeper prospects

Oregon:
S John Boyett
LB Michael Clay
DT Isaac Remington

Kansas State
DE/OLB Meshak Williams
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
D Anthony Thomas........ WOW

Thats what football is about!
Some deeper prospects

Oregon:
S John Boyett
LB Michael Clay
DT Isaac Remington

Kansas State
DE/OLB Meshak Williams

Meshak shouldnt even be under the radar if he makes it past 3rd it would be a crime
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Oregon

OG Kyle Long
LB Kiko Alonso
DE/OLB Dion Jordan

Kansas State
CB Nigel Malone
LB Arthur Brown
WR Chris Harper

Some deeper prospects

Oregon:
S John Boyett
LB Michael Clay
DT Isaac Remington

Kansas State
DE/OLB Meshak Williams

Boyett isn't playing he tore up his knee to begin the year.
Shocking start to the Tostitos bowl