LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 289 users in the forums

I only see 5 teams that truly need an upgrade at qb through the draft.

With the emergence of the super rookie qb class of 2012, I only see a few teams that have qb as position of need on their draft board.

1. Chiefs- no doubt Cassel and Quinn are not hte answer
2. Cardinals- Kolb and Skelton are bringing them to the last place in NFC West.
3. Jaguard- Henne is outplaying Gabbert.
4. Bills- Is Fitzpatrick the long term solution
5. Jets- Tebow out, Sanchez is not he franchise.

I guess my point being is I think there could be a great opportunity to get a qb in rounds 3 or 4, a qb that probably would have been drafted sooner, but with so few teams needing qb help, qb stock will fall in the draft.

This is assuming that going into next year the roster going into the draft is

1. CK7- Starter
2. Tolzien -Back up
3. Draft pick- qb rounds 3-7 somewhere
4. Camp arm or PS player- Round 7 or UDFA
Are we trading Alex or cutting him???
I will certainly NOT waste a 3rd or 4th-round pick for a guy who will be in the 3rd string...We have to bolster up the pass-rush, the d- and o-line and should go for a big-bodied WR. Starting FS and a backup-CB, if not even a starter, is needed to.
Unless the certain qb-prospect have a early 2nd-round-grade b/c he could be trade value.
Trade Alex to one of those teams for a 3-4 rounder.

I wouldn't use a 3-6 on a QB at this point. Too many other needs especially with al the contracts coming up and guys we need to extend.

Just imagine what Aldon's next contract will look like!
Originally posted by NYCNINER:

I would think the team will not pay the roster bonus, which would negate the contract (cut him). At first I thought they would give the bonus, since it is a cap friendly deal they could potentially trade him, then I looked at all of the NFL rosters and truly I only see the above teams willing to trade for him. If the niners could get a second round pick out of the deal I say go for it, but i think GM's of other teams would have the leverage, so let Alex walk.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,100 for DVDA.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by NYCNINER:

I would think the team will not pay the roster bonus, which would negate the contract (cut him). At first I thought they would give the bonus, since it is a cap friendly deal they could potentially trade him, then I looked at all of the NFL rosters and truly I only see the above teams willing to trade for him. If the niners could get a second round pick out of the deal I say go for it, but i think GM's of other teams would have the leverage, so let Alex walk.

There is no rule that quarterbacks can only be traded for a second round pick. Smith has a moderate salary and has proven he is better than a lot of guys like Kolb, Sanchez, Gabbert, etc. Someone will definitely trade for him but it may be for a fourth or fifth round pick. Unfortunately for the 49ers Smith is a known commodity, he doesn't have that over hyped "potential" like a Kolb or Flynn had before being traded for and/or signing huge deals. Even though teams know they're not going to get a potential superstar, they'll gladly trade for a solid NFL quarterback in Smith.
Im not for drafting another QB, that we would be forced to keep on the active roster and not the PS. I think Tolz can handle the backup. I would just bring in a UDFA to develope on the PS.
Originally posted by communist:
I will certainly NOT waste a 3rd or 4th-round pick for a guy who will be in the 3rd string...

You won't? Well, I guess that settles it, then. The GM has said he will not do it, so, case closed.

Oh wait...
I think a veteran q.b. like Matt H.
I think more teams than that will take a QB.

Dallas - Romo is having an awful year. 16 interceptions?!? They have to start planning for a Romo-less future.
Philly - Are they going to gamble next year on just having Foles?
Pittsburgh - the QBs backing up Roethlisburger looked pretty awful
Tenn - Locker is a dissapointment so far, hasn't taken that next step forward they wanted him to this year
Oakland - Palmer will be 33 years old and in 2 years with the Raiders has thrown 35 TDs and 30 interceptions....not very good.

If I were a GM I wouldn't trade anything more than a 6th rounder for Alex because I know that the 49ers would have to release him anyway. The only hope for the 49ers is to either convince the league that tey would be willing to keep him as the backup, or get teams to start bidding against each other for him.

He's going to be the top vet available this offseason so a team who thinks they are close could covet him enough to make a splash to get him, but with the success of this years rookies a lot of teams are going to be thinking they can catch a ride on that train and go after one of G. Smith, Landry, ect.
I think we'll get a 3rd-4th because the team that really need a QB won't want to wait-it-out and maybe miss a chance at getting him

At least that's what I'm hoping for.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
You won't? Well, I guess that settles it, then. The GM has said he will not do it, so, case closed.

Oh wait...

Its a terrible idea. Harbaugh pushed Kaepernick because he was sure he's the guy, so Kaepernick will have time to prove himself as a QB. I don't see ANY reason to take a QB anytime before the 6th round. If there's a project that they can take their time and develop as the 3rd QB, great, but this team has way too many other needs to be blowing picks on a 3rd string quarterback.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I think we'll get a 3rd-4th because the team that really need a QB won't want to wait-it-out and maybe miss a chance at getting him

I think the highest we get is a 6th round to a conditional 5th. Teams will think twice about his high salary and the length of it. But I honestly think Smith will just ask for his release.

If we're gonna draft another QB, I'd wait till next year and see if we have a shot at Aaron Murray.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

I'm thinking a 4th round pick sounds realistic, especially if there's a team that wants to acquire Smith without having to worry about any additional competition for his services. The Jets gave up a 4th for Tebow and Alex is a considerably better quarterback, even if the 49ers might plan to release him eventually, its a good way to lock down a starting quarterback on the cheap.
Share 49ersWebzone