LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

I only see 5 teams that truly need an upgrade at qb through the draft.

Originally posted by JD9671:
I think a veteran q.b. like Matt H.

what about signing josh johnson back
I don't think we can just drop Alex unless we have a suitable replacement 2nd string QB. With the way the NFL is (and the way Kap runs), we should count on our QB missing a game or 2 due to injury. I'm not sure i feel comfortable with Tolzien for those 1 or 2 games.

We need a turstworthy 2nd string QB and if we trade or release Alex, we won't have one.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I think we'll get a 3rd-4th because the team that really need a QB won't want to wait-it-out and maybe miss a chance at getting him

At least that's what I'm hoping for.

I think the highest we get is a 6th round to a conditional 5th. Teams will think twice about his high salary and the length of it. But I honestly think Smith will just ask for his release.

If we're gonna draft another QB, I'd wait till next year and see if we have a shot at Aaron Murray.

Why on earth would the Niners do that? Kap is the QB for now and the future.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I think we'll get a 3rd-4th because the team that really need a QB won't want to wait-it-out and maybe miss a chance at getting him

I think the highest we get is a 6th round to a conditional 5th. Teams will think twice about his high salary and the length of it. But I honestly think Smith will just ask for his release.

If we're gonna draft another QB, I'd wait till next year and see if we have a shot at Aaron Murray.

Why on earth did the 9ers draft LMJ when we already had Gore, Hunter, Jacobs and Dixon?? Why on earth did we take AJ Jenkins when we were already stacked at the receiver position?? Better yet, why did Green Bay draft Brian Brohm AND Matt Flynn when they had an already young QB in Aaron Rodgers?? You can never be set at any position. Besides, I wasn't looking at Murray as a 1st round pick either. If or when Smith is gone, who is in back of Kaepernick?? Tolzien is no guarantee, I rather we groom another QB than bring in another washed up vet.

Why on earth did the 9ers draft LMJ when we already had Gore, Hunter, Jacobs and Dixon?? Why on earth did we take AJ Jenkins when we were already stacked at the receiver position?? Better yet, why did Green Bay draft Brian Brohm AND Matt Flynn when they had an already young QB in Aaron Rodgers?? You can never be set at any position. Besides, I wasn't looking at Murray as a 1st round pick either. If or when Smith is gone, who is in back of Kaepernick?? Tolzien is no guarantee, I rather we groom another QB than bring in another washed up vet.

I am with you Kolohe. If there is VALUE at the draft position in rounds 2,3 or 4, I would have zero objection to drafting a qb. Keep in mind our round 2 is really the same as a high round 3 (god willing).

The Redskins drafted RGIII and Kirk Cousines. Denver spent a second round draft ick on a qb when they paid Manning big bucks.

Murray probably will be a high pick and I just would not invest a #1 or #2 on a QB when we have a very good starting QB already. If we could get someone in the 4th or so.. that would be OK.
Originally posted by 9erred:

I am with you Kolohe. If there is VALUE at the draft position in rounds 2,3 or 4, I would have zero objection to drafting a qb. Keep in mind our round 2 is really the same as a high round 3 (god willing).

The Redskins drafted RGIII and Kirk Cousines. Denver spent a second round draft ick on a qb when they paid Manning big bucks.

In Denvers case that made a lot of sense. Manning will be there a couple of years and be able to help groom his replacement. Teams that have top young QBs very rarely will draft another QB in the first 2 rounds.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
I would think the team will not pay the roster bonus, which would negate the contract (cut him). At first I thought they would give the bonus, since it is a cap friendly deal they could potentially trade him, then I looked at all of the NFL rosters and truly I only see the above teams willing to trade for him. If the niners could get a second round pick out of the deal I say go for it, but i think GM's of other teams would have the leverage, so let Alex walk.

No trades can be made until the 2013 season begins in March.

Alex Smith is due a roster bonus on April 1st.

So, there is a window of less than a month in which he can be traded.
But, and this is important, the 2013 NFL draft (April 25th to April 27th) falls within that window.

.Alex would be an affordable upgrade at QB for seven teams, and in my estimation a better option than any of the quarterbacks in upcoming draft.

1. Kansas City
2. Arizona
3 .Philadelphia
4. Buffalo
5. Oakland
6. Jacksonville
7. NY Jets
edit: I forgot the Jets

I doubt we would trade him to Arizona, but the other five teams seem very possible.

Trading for Alex would give each of those teams a starting quality quarterback.

I think a third or fourth round pick would be of reasonable value.
[ Edited by buck on Dec 22, 2012 at 3:14 PM ]
Buck, agreed.

Alex is not a top three QB. He's not going to throw for 4000+ yards and 30+ TDs. But he's also NOT going to throw a ton of INTs. And there are a lot of teams out there that would really value a QB who doesn't turn the ball over.

Td-INT QB Rating
Alex Smith, 13-5 104.1

John Skelton, 2-9 55.4
QB Brady Quinn, 2-6 64.7
QB Matt Cassel, 6-12 66.7
QB Mark Sanchez, 13-17 67.9
QB Brandon Weeden, 14-17 72.4
Michael Vick, QB PHI 11-9 79.2
Ryan Fitzpatrick, 22-15 83.5
Philip Rivers, 221-5 86

I think a few of these teams would be willing to give up a mid round 2nd or 3rd rounder to improve their ball security. Especially the ones be believe they are capable of making the play-offs. A team with a good defense and a solid run game could plug in Smith and cut their turn-overs way down. That adds a lot of value to a team on the bubble.

I think the Jets and Chiefs are pretty viable teams to target Alex Smith.
Originally posted by JD9671:
I think a veteran q.b. like Matt H.

agree. We have 2 young guys in kaep and tolzien. We need a veteran presence.

Also, the Niners are in a great position to combine Smith with lower round picks. Lets say a team like the Jets really wanted Smith. The Niners could offer Smith and multiple 5, 6, 7th round picks. On a team like the Niners, a 6th round pick might be lucky to make the practice squad, but for a team trying to rebuild, that could be a valuable commodity. At least a player they could evaluate in camp.
BPA.

And you don't draft a third string qb. You draft a guy to throw into the pot to compete for the starting or backup role. Harbaugh seems very keen on competition.

We have a bucket-load of picks. And a young qb with two years of Harbaugh development is likely to be quite tradable, if he isn't needed.

I don't know where the value is at qb this year. It doesn't appear that it is early so maybe around 4th or 5th round. And a long shot 7th rounder or UDFA for training camp and just-in-case.

Sorry on what planet does Smith have a high salary? While I agree Smith will ask for hs release, for the low price of 1mil. We can shop him for a free draft pick...it's a no brainier to at least try, and given how bad the other options are I would say a 3rd isnt unreasonable. Everybody keeps talking about how these 5 to 6 teams can just wait us out, but if they do they then have to compete with each other with Thier wallet, right now if they get him in trade Alex is a bargain...won't stay that way at free agent prices.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I think more teams than that will take a QB.

Dallas - Romo is having an awful year. 16 interceptions?!? They have to start planning for a Romo-less future.
Philly - Are they going to gamble next year on just having Foles?
Pittsburgh - the QBs backing up Roethlisburger looked pretty awful
Tenn - Locker is a dissapointment so far, hasn't taken that next step forward they wanted him to this year
Oakland - Palmer will be 33 years old and in 2 years with the Raiders has thrown 35 TDs and 30 interceptions....not very good.

What he said........these teams all need some serious help at QB.
Share 49ersWebzone