LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 209 users in the forums

Dion Sims-TE-Michigan State

Why Sims?

Big, big body, if the 49ers want a guy who excels in run-blocking, this 6'5, 280 pound beast answers the call

Former basketball player, shows terrific agility and balance

Relatively raw as a receiver but has shown flashes of talent, decent route-running, was a top receiver for Spartans this year

Major Y.A.C.....bringing down a 280 pound tight-end with a full head of steam is no walk in the park for your average defensive back

Hard worker, gets major props from his coaches for being diligent, determined, putting in the extra work and showing the desire to improve

Should be available with the 49ers first 3rd round pick and possibly as late as the early 4th round.

Tons of potential to improve, both as a blocker and especially as a receiver.

Ready to contribute from Day 1 due to his blocking ability.

Delanie Walker is likely a goner after the season
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 6, 2012 at 8:46 PM ]
Very nice read. I agree that Walker is likely gone, drops way too many balls for the price.

Would love a TE like Brent Jones on this roster!
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Sims has been my favorite TE of this class but we can only hope he declares this year.
Thanks, a real eye opener.

Yeah, "Butterfingers" Walker will be walking.
would draft
Originally posted by sfout:
Sims has been my favorite TE of this class but we can only hope he declares this year.

I do hope so. I see him to be likely the 3rd TE drafted. He's got a wonderful combination of skills and traits and would be an instant contributor.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 7, 2012 at 11:46 AM ]
took him in my first mock off season here http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/168792-nteply49s-mock-offseason/
If Walker's price is low enough, I say we draft a TE to replace him as the 2nd receiving TE, but DW keep his role on special teams, as a blocker, etc. Either that or we take two TEs.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
If Walker's price is low enough, I say we draft a TE to replace him as the 2nd receiving TE, but DW keep his role on special teams, as a blocker, etc. Either that or we take two TEs.

2? They seem to like Celek...
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
2? They seem to like Celek...

This. I think Celek is solid as a #3 TE/developmental prospect. He did well to make the roster this year.

Go for 4 tight ends :-D. As long as one can run routes just as good as a receiver, I wouldn't object to this. Davis, rookie, Celek, Walker?
Sims is my second favorite TE in the draft. Needs some work, but could be a real steal.
are the 49ers still throwing to their tight ends?
Originally posted by hofer36:
are the 49ers still throwing to their tight ends?

Not really no
I think a TE with the first round pick or second round pick is a great idea. Assuming Walker is not resigned, a young stud wold be a welcome addition to the offense. The niners use 2 TE sets often and it appears that VD has been more of a blocker lately. If this guy is the stud blocker maybe VD can get the targets?

I am a big Zach Ertz fan, so I would take Ertz first then the kids from Notre Dame and then Sims. All three would be fine with with.
Share 49ersWebzone