There are 102 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

NTeply49's Mock Offseason

Free Agency!!!
Resign Goldson at the right price, then if not place a lower bid on Jarius Byrd from Buffalo. Otherwise 3d round pick Phillip Thomas might get thrown into the fire sooner rather than later. There is one other potential free agent starter at safety and that is William Moore from ATL. The way I see it, those are the top 3 and our defense needs to remain strong on the back side in order to remain elite in today's passing NFL. Goldson is the most well rounded of the 3 and could even play SS in my opinion. There is one other option in Giant's safety Kenny Phillips. I doubt they let him walk though.

Resign Randy Moss. He provides valuable veteran leadership, experience, and provides us with one of the scariest deep threats to ever play the game. His numbers may be down this year, but that is to be expected with a year out of the league. Some may ask why would he want to come back and play for us? My response would be because he rediscovered the love for the game here in S.F. and he doesn't need numbers anymore to validate his career. He needs championships! He won't find a better place to get them.

Resign or release Soapoaga? He might be worth it for the right price (2-2.5mil per year, maybe 5 mil 2 years) to provide depth and experience while we groom our future NT, but he is on the back end of his career and is a declining player whom never fully achieved his potential. He made 3.8 million in 2012 and so far after 9 games I feel this is our biggest concern this off season besides Goldson. Not necessarily Soapoaga himself, but the position. If unable to resign at the right price, I would try to bring in a guy like Jacksonville's Terrance Knighton to anchor the middle. He might even be a better option if Soap continues to decline, due to age and ceiling. We could also just do nothing and save some cap room instead of over paying.

Resign Delanie Walker for the right price again. He's a good all around player that's a little under sized for the TE position. What's nice about him is how flexible he is and I like what he brings to the table, but feel we could get an upgrade in some areas. If he ends up signing elsewhere for more money, we should try to steal Heath Miller away from the Steelers. We should keep Walker as he will compliment my 4th round picks game nicely. This isn't a very talented draft class for tight ends, but there is one very talented free agent tight end that will be a free agent next year and that is Jared Cook from Tennessee. Jared Cook is quite the pipe dream honestly, since he is basically a poor mans Vernon Davis. The physical gifts are there(not quite as gifted as V.D.) and he is still only 25 years old and entering his prime. Unfortunately that means someone will most likely break the bank for him and I doubt the Titans would let him walk. Still, the thought of going on the field with a two tight end set of Cook and Davis would be a nightmare for opposing secondaries and linebackers to cover.

Release Goodwin???!!! He is playing at a high level, has one more year at $3.7 Million +$666k per year in signing bonus + $650k in other incentives for a total of $5.01 mil.. Releasing him could save us almost 5 million. How much is a center playing at his level worth? Is a 33 year old center that is having a career year worth resigning to a 3 year deal, or have we gotten the best out of him already and release him before we begin to feel the impact of his age. How much is having a veteran center making the calls on the line worth, and does the rest of the line play better due to his veteran presence? Our other 4 starters have an average age of 25.25 and have yet to fulfill their potential yet. Joe Staley is the only one over 25 at 28 years old. It's one of the tougher decision we will face this year. There are only a couple other viable options that will be free agents next year that could replace Goodwin without substantial drop off, but they will probably demand a simmilar price. Brad Meester(3.25 mil per year) from Jags, Brian De La Puente(540k per year) of the Saints, and Todd McClure(990k) from the Falcons are the only viable options I see, and the three of their current salaries combined would be about 220k less than Goodwin is scheduled to make next year. We either need to release or resign him to a long term, back loaded deal that is more cap friendly.

Resign Larry Grant to provide depth behind Bowman and Willis. He may choose to go elsewhere for an opportunity to start. Should also try to lock Bowman up for a long term deal.
Also resign RJF and Ian Williams to compete again unless they can find a better opportunity elsewhere.
Resign T. Brock due to special teams contribution and see how he develops this off-season. One of our fastest gunners.
Resign J.Smith to a 3 year deal. Save $4.37 mil, could also do same with Whitner and Akers. (http://www.ninercaphell.com/news/nch/7530-A-loook-towards-the-future-cap-wise.html) This is an extremely good read that gives you good perspective on where we're at cap wise.
Resign Bowman to 5 year deal if we have enough room. Might have to pass on resigning Grant if it means locking up Bowman.

Release & Do Not Resign:
P.Haralson - By releasing we gain $2.87 million in cap space(thank you www.ninercaphell.com and AB83Rules)
Ted Gin Jr. - He had one good game against the Seahawks as a returner and has been riding it ever since. We can find an as good if not better return guy that can potentially contribute more in the passing game easily. Also allows us to active A.J. Jenkins!
Tavares Gooden - may return for a very low cap figure, but he doesn't bring quite as much to the table as other guys as he is just a special teams player for us.
Leonard Davis - Getting long in the tooth and tight in the hips. Not as powerful as he was 2 years ago.
Clark Haggans - We only have this guy active because of Haralson's injury and our lack of depth at the position
Brandon Jacobs - Cry baby and do you think he helped the Giants?
Darcell McBath - I'm on the fence with this guy and wouldn't be entirely against giving him another shot at making the team
Garret Celek - Not a fan at all

Free Agents we'd consider going after under the right circumstances: CLE K P.Dawson, NE WR Julian Edelman, KC RB Peyton Hillis(power back), GB CB Sam Shields, CHI DT Henry Melton(guys a nice pass rusher from the DT) WASH TE Fred Davis, HOU OLB Connor Barwin,(out of our price range but he would be amazing opposite of Aldon) TEN TE Jared Cook(2 TE set with two physical freaks with blocking skills would be like my unstoppable Madden Franchise ) BUF Safety Jarius Byrd, TEN CB Jason McCourty, ATL SS WIlliam Moore, NYG FS Kenny Phillips,

NFL DRAFT 2013
Round 1 Pick 32 Sylvester Williams NT/DT North Carolina 6-332
A big beasty nose tackle that can put pressure on opposing QBs while remaining stout against the run. Flashes pass rush ability. One of those rare big bodied guys that can be our anchor against the run up the gut and provide pressure from the DT position in our 4 down linemen nickel sets. Started 13 games last year and has no know major injuries. Unlike last year, our first pick will contribute this year. Would even be willing to trade up to get him.

Round 2 pick 63 Barrett Jones C/OG/OL Alabama 6-4 305
Jones isn't as physically gifted as many of the other linemen to come out and would immediately benefit from our strength and conditioning program wich is one of the best in the league. Lack of athleticsm could cause him to drop this low, but we might have to move up a few spots to ensure we can get him. He has experience playing all positions on the OL, has played LT, G, and this year converted to C and leads one of the best offensive lines in the nation. He provides us with depth in case anyone goes down, and could either replace Goodwin this year or next.

Round 3 pick 68 From Panthers James Gayle OLB/ DE Virginia Tech 6-4 268 .
A physical monster, the 260-pound Hampton, Va., product posted a position record 39.5-inch vertical and a 4.44 40-time this past offseason. Gayle didn't seriously take up the sport of football until his sophomore year at Bethel High in Hampton. We already have two sideline to sideline MLBs in Bowman and Willis, but Gayle would give us the most athletic 2nd level of defense in the league by far, and push Brooks for playing time. Could contribute on special teams immediately, and would give us more fresh bodies that can rush the passer so we can afford to give Aldon and Brooks a breather without experiencing too significant of a drop off. Could potentially make Brooks expendable in the near future and is one of my favorite under the radar prospects.

Round 3 pick 95 Phillip Thomas SS Fresno State 6-1 215
A play making safety that has a habit of scoring whenever he gets his hands on the ball. Someone to groom to potentially replace Whitner and provide depth in case Goldson gets ejected or something crazy. Currently leads the nation with 7 interceptions. Hes returned 3 of those for touchdowns, has 3 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery, and 55 tackles. He is a finalist for the Thorpe award. Downside is he plays against lower level of competition but who can argue with that kind of production.

Round 4 pick 127 Dion Sims TE Michigan State 6-5 285
A gigantic road plow with decent hands, the former basketball player has experience using his body to box out defenders. His size will help in the red zone, and will allow us to run heavy sets without having to sub a lineman in for 2 tight ends. He has great hands, and will be a match up nightmare for everyone. He also displays impressive speed for a player of his size. Could become a nice safety blanket. (Just Delanie now) He is currently the Spartans top receiving threat, and could be the perfect compliment to Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker.

Round 5 pick 152 From Colts Kevin Reddick ILB North Carolina 6-2 240
So far this year he has 72 tackles, 14 tackles for a loss, 5 1/2 sacks, 6 quarterback hurries and broken up 6 passes broken up. A productive blitzer from the inside who would immediately contribute on special teams. Talented, but stock is falling due to perceived lack of effort recently. He's one of those players that decided to return for senior year that ends up hurting draft stock and not cementing his status as one of the top ILB in NCAA unlike his draft counterpart whom he was often compared to in Manti Te'o.

Round 5 pick 159 Marc Anthony CB California 6-0 200
A physically gifted corner who fell due to injury concerns. Great size and speed combination. Guy has just had a hard time staying healthy, but I feel he is good value here and worth the risk.

Round 6 pick 169 From Dolphins Malliciah Goodman DE Clemson 6-4 280
Another big body to groom on our defensive line to compete for a spot on our practice squad. Fits our 3-4 scheme well and could develop into a future anchor at DE.

Round 6 pick 191 Patrick Murray K/P Fordham 5-7 160
Smaller college kicker that also punts for his team. Has made a long of 55 yards and normally has about a 45 yard net average on his punts. Very talented leg, and with as shaky as Akers has been it's time for a little insurance.

Round 7 pick 204 From Bengals Tyrone Goard WR Eastern Kentucky 6-4 194
A nice big bodied wide receiver that could also contribute to the return game. Has rare height speed combination that validates this pick alone. Small school receiver, potential sleeper that will have to fight and claw his way onto the roster.

Round 7 pick 254 Colby Cameron QB Louisiana Tech 6-1 205
I didn't know what to do with this pick, so something along the lines of the next Tom Brady lands in our laps.

DEPTH CHART
QB A.Smith - C.Kaepernick - S.Tolzien - C.Cameron(PS)
HB F.Gore - K.Hunter - L.M.James - A.Dixon
FB B.Miller
WR M.Crabtree - R.Moss - T.Goard
WR M.Manningham - A.J.Jenkins - K.Williams
TE V.Davis - D.Sims - D.Walker
OT J. Staley - B.Jones - K.Wiggins(PS)
OG M. Lupati - D.Killgore
C J. Goodwin - B.Jones
OG A.Boone - J.Looney
OT A.Davis - A.Boone - A.Netter(PS)

DE J.Smith - W.Tukuafu - D.Dobbs
NT S.Williams - I.Soapoaga? - R.J.F. - T.Jerod-Eddie(PS)
DE R.McDonald - R.J.Francois - Malliciah Goodman(PS)
OLB A.Smith J.Gayle - D.Flemming(PUP)
MLB P.Willis - L.Grant -
MLB N.Bowman - K.Reddick
OLB A.Brooks - C. Johnson(PS)
CB C.Rodgers - C.Culliver - M. Anthony
CB T.Brown - P.Cox - T.Brock
SS D.Whitner - T.Robbinson - M.Thomas(PS)
FS D.Goldson - P.Thomas - C.J. Spillman

K D.Akers - P.Murray - COMPETITION!!!!
P A.Lee - Patrick Murray No competition!!!!
RS K.Williams - T.Goard - L.M.J.
LS - B.Jennings

Practice Squad: QB Colby Cameron, DE Malliciah Goodman, DT, T.Jerod-Eddie, WR T.Goard, S M.Thomas, LB C. Johnson, LB. D.Flemming, and either Wiggins or Netter or another offensive lineman with potential thats overlooked for some odd reason. This is hardest to project, but someone good always slips through the cracks.

Things I did not accomplish. Did not find a big power back like I would like to. If one comes available, I say we take him because we need someone to groom for the future to compliment our speedy backs in Hunter and James. There are two potential free agents next year that could fit that role in Peyton Hillis and LaGarrete Blount(whom had his shot to play with the greatest and dissed us). Also was unable to find a big bodied deep threat WR that would make me ok with letting Randy go.

Hope you enjoyed my mock off-season! Let me know what you think! Also I am not quite done, so check back for updates.
[ Edited by NTeply49 on Nov 18, 2012 at 12:58 PM ]
Nice work.
I'd resign Goldson to a long term deal. Tagging him again might be too costly considering their cap issues. Not really much of a fan of Byrd. But you can't go overboard wiht his contract. But the guy deserves to get paid.

Wouldn't mind bringing him back but it's time to get his replacement. Really they should have drafted his replacement last year in the draft so he'd be ready and have some reps under his belt for next year.

Walker is worthless

Grant is a replaceable back up. Really doesn't move me either way on him. They will need to resign williams and RJf just for depth purposes.

Like your draft picks. Hopefully Kilgore is ready to take over for center and that 2nd round pick could be used on another position.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Nice work.
I'd resign Goldson to a long term deal. Tagging him again might be too costly considering their cap issues. Not really much of a fan of Byrd. But you can't go overboard wiht his contract. But the guy deserves to get paid.

Wouldn't mind bringing him back but it's time to get his replacement. Really they should have drafted his replacement last year in the draft so he'd be ready and have some reps under his belt for next year.

Walker is worthless

Grant is a replaceable back up. Really doesn't move me either way on him. They will need to resign williams and RJf just for depth purposes.

Like your draft picks. Hopefully Kilgore is ready to take over for center and that 2nd round pick could be used on another position.

I think using a 2nd round pick on young OL talent is paramount to our future success and having a revolving door of top tier talent is a luxury we can afford to have. Where would you prefer we use the pick?
[ Edited by NTeply49 on Nov 16, 2012 at 10:34 AM ]
Hmmm I guess it's too intimidating a read. I should have just published a book but worked for 3 days on it and it kept growing!
How do you propose we create that much cap room? I assume Justin Smith, Whitner and Akers get extended. Also Goodwin would need to be extended.

Not sure I see Sopoaga re-signing for 2-2.5m a year.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
How do you propose we create that much cap room? I assume Justin Smith, Whitner and Akers get extended. Also Goodwin would need to be extended.

Pipe dreams for sure. Drove myself crazy trying to figure out how to do it myself through youre website. I think we will have to let Sopoaga walk and potentially cut Goodwin if we cannot resign. What would be the damage if Akers were gone?
Originally posted by NTeply49:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

Pipe dreams for sure. Drove myself crazy trying to figure out how to do it myself through youre website. I think we will have to let Sopoaga walk and potentially cut Goodwin if we cannot resign. What would be the damage if Akers were gone?

Not much $3M savings.
lol unrealistic offseason moves IMO. No way we keep Soap, Goldson, Bowman, Moss, and Walker all together. I know you have resign or release by some but just them alone is a pipe dream. No way B. Jones falls in the second round. I really believe we need to focus on a Center or true 3-4 DE in the top 3 rounds. To me Goodwin does not have too much longer with the team and we better be getting someone fast unless we think Kilgore can get the job done. I like the Jones pick but I would be absolutely shocked if he falls out of the first round. The draft is full of surprises though so you never know. I never thought DeCastro would fall in the 20's. I do not know but spending another 1st rounder for a offensive lineman in the draft to me is just too much. I think we need to go DE in the 1st round but you never know what Balkee or Harbaugh have up their sleeve.
Depth is going to have to be supplied by up and comers. We're not going to be able to afford guys like Haralson, Davis, Grant and Jacobs as back ups.
One hell of an off-season there if it happened.
Originally posted by ninergold:
Depth is going to have to be supplied by up and comers. We're not going to be able to afford guys like Haralson, Davis, Grant and Jacobs as back ups.

Haralson and Jacobs will be cut for sure, Grant will probably be gone if he can go somewhere where he has the opportunity to earn a starting role
love the Sly Williams and Kevin Reddick picks, I'm a big UNC fan and these guys are monsters. Reddick would be very good on ST. we won't keep everyone together like you suggest. I see Moss, Soap and probably Walker gone.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home