There are 53 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

14 draft picks in the 2013 Draft

Originally posted by Harkonnenzombie:
Originally posted by susweel:
We should draft a kicker for sure.

Strongly agree

Not so fast....I want to see how Akers plays the rest of the year. You aren't going to keep 2 kickers, so if Akers bounces back once he heals up a bit, drafting a kicker may just be a waste of a pick.
If there is a kicker worth spending a 4th or 5th round on, I say do it.
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
If there is a kicker worth spending a 4th or 5th round on, I say do it.

Agreed. Akers isn't going to suddenly start healing faster or kicking better as a 39 year old. He's not giving us a decided advantage over a rookie, and he costs 7-10 times as much.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I just hope the Niners do better in this draft then they did last year. Hoping for a draft like the 2011 class! I think this has to be a draft totally focused on the defensive side of the ball in the first 3 rounds with DE, NT, OLB, and CB as the priorities. ( assuming we resign Goldston). A great Niners draft can set this team up for quite awhile.

...and here we go again.

Sigh.

There is nothing wrong with the 2012 draft class.

Jenkins and James are about to get some playing time. They were drafted for depth (good thing too since we lost Williams and Hunter for the season, may be missing Manningham for a bit, Ginn blows as a WR, and Jacobs doesn't have the ability to stretch a defense in the run game).

Looney was very likely never going to see the field because he was drafted as low as he was because he was hurt. That was always a pick for the future (just like Jenkins and James were IMO).

Want proof that the 49ers were looking at the future with all these picks? How about all the trades they made to HAVE all of the picks they have now. I'd expect more of the same. I see the Niners looking at positions like DT/DE, Maybe TE (Ertz looks nice), you can never get enough guys who are 6'3", 6'4", 230-250 lbs and can run (OLBs, Special Teams), and maybe even a developmental QB if Alex is gone.

Jenkins: Moss could be gone next year. Ginn WILL be gone next year.
James: Gore's having good year, but his time is running out. Hunter and James may be the rotation of the future. Jacobs won't be back.
Looney: Davis most likely gone next year.

People REALLY need to stop looking through the lens of THIS YEAR.

Maybe, just maybe, we should trust the guy who has drafted Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Navorro Bowman, Kyle WIlliams (not a bad late pick), Aldon Smith, Colin Kaepernick (I remember al the peeps who said something to the effect of "Come on, he can't beat out Alex Smith!?! BUST!!!"), Chris Culliver, Kendall Hunter, and Bruce Miller in his FIRST 2 DRAFTS as a GM.
Sigh........ I didnt say the 2011 class was a bust. However, to this point it has done nothing. We shall see how it plays out but it is pretty telling that neither Jenkins or James has been able to get on the field at all. So, when I say I hope this class is more like 2011 then last year.. well.. that draft had Aldon, Kap, Miller, Hunter, and Culliver. I guess its fair to say that I hope this one coming up is more like that one.
I just hope the Niners do better in this draft then they did last year. Hoping for a draft like the 2011 class! I think this has to be a draft totally focused on the defensive side of the ball in the first 3 rounds with DE, NT, OLB, and CB as the priorities. ( assuming we resign Goldston). A great Niners draft can set this team up for quite awhile.

...and here we go again.

Sigh.

Jenkins and James are about to get some playing time. They were drafted for depth (good thing too since we lost Williams and Hunter for the season, may be missing Manningham for a bit, Ginn blows as a WR, and Jacobs doesn't have the ability to stretch a defense in the run game).

Looney was very likely never going to see the field because he was drafted as low as he was because he was hurt. That was always a pick for the future (just like Jenkins and James were IMO).

Want proof that the 49ers were looking at the future with all these picks? How about all the trades they made to HAVE all of the picks they have now. I'd expect more of the same. I see the Niners looking at positions like DT/DE, Maybe TE (Ertz looks nice), you can never get enough guys who are 6'3", 6'4", 230-250 lbs and can run (OLBs, Special Teams), and maybe even a developmental QB if Alex is gone.

James: Gore's having good year, but his time is running out. Hunter and James may be the rotation of the future. Jacobs won't be back.

Maybe, just maybe, we should trust the guy who has drafted Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Navorro Bowman, Kyle WIlliams (not a bad late pick), Aldon Smith, Colin Kaepernick (I remember al the peeps who said something to the effect of "Come on, he can't beat out Alex Smith!?! BUST!!!"), Chris Culliver, Kendall Hunter, and Bruce Miller in his FIRST 2 DRAFTS as a GM.
Sigh........ I didnt say the 2011 class was a bust. However, to this point it has done nothing. We shall see how it plays out but it is pretty telling that neither Jenkins or James has been able to get on the field at all. So, when I say I hope this class is more like 2011 then last year.. well.. that draft had Aldon, Kap, Miller, Hunter, and Culliver. I guess its fair to say that I hope this one coming up is more like that one.

yeah, but the rooks aren't NOT playing because they suck.

Aldon Smith played because they NEEDED a pass rusher right away. Kaep DIDN'T play because they had Alex Smith. Miller played because they didn't have a fullback on the roster. All hunter had to do was beat out Dixon. Culliver didn't have too difficult a route to be the Nickel CB either. Jenkins had Crabtree, Moss, Manningham, and Williams ahead of him and Ginn was active to return punts. James has Gore, Hunter and Jacobs ahead of him and he actually beat out Dixon...but Dixon is active because HE plays on special teams.

A big part of the reason that rookies have played significant time for the Niners in the recent past is that they HAD to.

...and here we go again.

Sigh.

Aldon Smith played because they NEEDED a pass rusher right away. Kaep DIDN'T play because they had Alex Smith. Miller played because they didn't have a fullback on the roster. All hunter had to do was beat out Dixon. Culliver didn't have too difficult a route to be the Nickel CB either. Jenkins had Crabtree, Moss, Manningham, and Williams ahead of him and Ginn was active to return punts. James has Gore, Hunter and Jacobs ahead of him and he actually beat out Dixon...but Dixon is active because HE plays on special teams.

A big part of the reason that rookies have played significant time for the Niners in the recent past is that they HAD to.

Actually you ASSUME that they arent playing because they dont suck. I hope you are right but as of right now we dont really know. There isnt a team in the NFL outside of the Niners that havent played either of their first 2 round picks ONE snap this year. You can say its because the Niners have some amazing talent at WR and RB. Thats fine. Others might disagree. I just dont know and wont until we actually see them do something.

I really dont care if you agree with me or not when I think the 2011 class was a better draft class than 2012. It makes no difference if you think I'm crazy when I say that I hope the next class is more in line with 2011. You see, its MY opinion. So, save your "here we go again" comments.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Dec 5, 2012 at 4:06 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
IMHO we would be well served to package both 3rds or 1 3rd rounder + 4th rounder to move into the second then use our 2 5th rounders to move up to the top of 4th and try and secure the most talented players we can. Having 14 picks but likely only needing about 6-7 roster spots filled not including free agency should make us want to get as high as we can in the draft.
Actually you ASSUME that they arent playing because they dont suck. I hope you are right but as of right now we dont really know. There isnt a team in the NFL outside of the Niners that havent played either of their first 2 round picks ONE snap this year. You can say its because the Niners have some amazing talent at WR and RB. Thats fine. Others might disagree. I just dont know and wont until we actually see them do something.

I really dont care if you agree with me or not when I think the 2011 class was a better draft class than 2012. It makes no difference if you think I'm crazy when I say that I hope the next class is more in line with 2010. You see, its MY opinion. So, save your "here we go again" comments.

fixed. At least I hope that's what you meant (Maybe you are a Taylor Mays fan???)

Of the two, I think AJ has a much higher ceiling than James. Sad part about it is we still need MORE help at WR and RB. Our offense is so far behind our defense that we'll have no choice but to burn a few picks to improve. Even if Kendall Hunter is healthy, I'm not sure if he's capable of being Frank's long term replacement.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

I really dont care if you agree with me or not when I think the 2011 class was a better draft class than 2012. It makes no difference if you think I'm crazy when I say that I hope the next class is more in line with 2010. You see, its MY opinion. So, save your "here we go again" comments.

fixed. At least I hope that's what you meant (Maybe you are a Taylor Mays fan???)

LOL yes of course. Thanks man. I cant get my years right obviously.

...and here we go again.

Sigh.

I really dont care if you agree with me or not when I think the 2011 class was a better draft class than 2012. It makes no difference if you think I'm crazy when I say that I hope the next class is more in line with 2011. You see, its MY opinion. So, save your "here we go again" comments.

Of COURSE it's your opinion...and you have every right to it. For the most part, that is the entire point of this forum...peeps have diff opinions and we argue them when we disagree.

I guess my comment was more meant at ALL of the backlash against this years draft class. Sorry if I took it out on you. Just frustrated with short-sightedness on this board.

I think it'll be just fine. It would be tough to top Aldon, Kaepernick, Culliver, Hunter, and Miller. I don't expect that every year, in particular when we will hopefully be sitting with the 32nd pick of every round.

That said, I am actually pretty stoked to finally get a look at LaMichael James.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 5, 2012 at 4:32 PM ]
trade up for Keenan Allen
[ Edited by gold49digger on Dec 5, 2012 at 4:37 PM ]
None will be active
We have plenty of ammo to make whatever kind of moves we need to make during the draft.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:
IMHO we would be well served to package both 3rds or 1 3rd rounder + 4th rounder to move into the second then use our 2 5th rounders to move up to the top of 4th and try and secure the most talented players we can. Having 14 picks but likely only needing about 6-7 roster spots filled not including free agency should make us want to get as high as we can in the draft.

You know the 49ers traded back to get Navorro Bowman. Trading up doesn't necessarily mean you're going to get the better player. You can ask the Chargers if they made a good move when they traded up for Donald Butler, I'd bet they'd say no. Baalke will make smart decisions with these picks, that's something that I think we can all be confident about.