Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I just hope the Niners do better in this draft then they did last year. Hoping for a draft like the 2011 class! I think this has to be a draft totally focused on the defensive side of the ball in the first 3 rounds with DE, NT, OLB, and CB as the priorities. ( assuming we resign Goldston). A great Niners draft can set this team up for quite awhile.
...and here we go again.
Sigh.
There is nothing wrong with the 2012 draft class.
Jenkins and James are about to get some playing time. They were drafted for depth (good thing too since we lost Williams and Hunter for the season, may be missing Manningham for a bit, Ginn blows as a WR, and Jacobs doesn't have the ability to stretch a defense in the run game).
Looney was very likely never going to see the field because he was drafted as low as he was because he was hurt. That was always a pick for the future (just like Jenkins and James were IMO).
Want proof that the 49ers were looking at the future with all these picks? How about all the trades they made to HAVE all of the picks they have now. I'd expect more of the same. I see the Niners looking at positions like DT/DE, Maybe TE (Ertz looks nice), you can never get enough guys who are 6'3", 6'4", 230-250 lbs and can run (OLBs, Special Teams), and maybe even a developmental QB if Alex is gone.
Jenkins: Moss could be gone next year. Ginn WILL be gone next year.
James: Gore's having good year, but his time is running out. Hunter and James may be the rotation of the future. Jacobs won't be back.
Looney: Davis most likely gone next year.
People REALLY need to stop looking through the lens of THIS YEAR.
Maybe, just maybe, we should trust the guy who has drafted Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Navorro Bowman, Kyle WIlliams (not a bad late pick), Aldon Smith, Colin Kaepernick (I remember al the peeps who said something to the effect of "Come on, he can't beat out Alex Smith!?! BUST!!!"), Chris Culliver, Kendall Hunter, and Bruce Miller in his FIRST 2 DRAFTS as a GM.
Sigh........ I didnt say the 2011 class was a bust. However, to this point it has done nothing. We shall see how it plays out but it is pretty telling that neither Jenkins or James has been able to get on the field at all. So, when I say I hope this class is more like 2011 then last year.. well.. that draft had Aldon, Kap, Miller, Hunter, and Culliver. I guess its fair to say that I hope this one coming up is more like that one.
yeah, but the rooks aren't NOT playing because they suck.
Aldon Smith played because they NEEDED a pass rusher right away. Kaep DIDN'T play because they had Alex Smith. Miller played because they didn't have a fullback on the roster. All hunter had to do was beat out Dixon. Culliver didn't have too difficult a route to be the Nickel CB either. Jenkins had Crabtree, Moss, Manningham, and Williams ahead of him and Ginn was active to return punts. James has Gore, Hunter and Jacobs ahead of him and he actually beat out Dixon...but Dixon is active because HE plays on special teams.
A big part of the reason that rookies have played significant time for the Niners in the recent past is that they HAD to.
Actually you ASSUME that they arent playing because they dont suck. I hope you are right but as of right now we dont really know. There isnt a team in the NFL outside of the Niners that havent played either of their first 2 round picks ONE snap this year. You can say its because the Niners have some amazing talent at WR and RB. Thats fine. Others might disagree. I just dont know and wont until we actually see them do something.
I really dont care if you agree with me or not when I think the 2011 class was a better draft class than 2012. It makes no difference if you think I'm crazy when I say that I hope the next class is more in line with 2011. You see, its MY opinion. So, save your "here we go again" comments.
Of COURSE it's your opinion...and you have every right to it. For the most part, that is the entire point of this forum...peeps have diff opinions and we argue them when we disagree.
I guess my comment was more meant at ALL of the backlash against this years draft class. Sorry if I took it out on you. Just frustrated with short-sightedness on this board.
I think it'll be just fine. It would be tough to top Aldon, Kaepernick, Culliver, Hunter, and Miller. I don't expect that every year, in particular when we will hopefully be sitting with the 32nd pick of every round.
That said, I am actually pretty stoked to finally get a look at LaMichael James.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 5, 2012 at 4:32 PM ]