There are 167 users in the forums

14 draft picks in the 2013 Draft

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Half of these picks won't make the team. If I was Baalke I'd probably trade two seventh round picks to get back into the 6th.

We'll trade some middle round picks for higher picks next year. Book it. There's no point in keeping all of our picks under the 6th if they're not going to make the roster. I wouldn't doubt if they traded our 1st or 2nd.
  • buck
  • Veteran
At this point, we have 11, not 14 picks.

He is anticipating us getting 3 comp picks.

I hope he is right, particulary about the possible third round pick.
Plus we could be adding more picks if we trade any current players as is rumored. Those could be fairly significant, at least a 2nd rounder and 4th rounder from a team picking high in the draft like the Raiders.

Could get additional picks
Lets trade our entire draft fort Ricky Williams

But I agree with trading our 3rd rounder this year, for a 2nd rounder next year, that would be a smart move IMO if we could find a taker

I know we cant trade comp picks , but I really do hope we make a move for a higher pick next year, and trade down again with our other picks , maybe even give up a couple picks and our 1st rounder to get down into the teens for a shot at an impact player this year ....we have options, and I'm pretty fired up to see what Trent does in the off season
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

But I agree with trading our 3rd rounder this year, for a 2nd rounder next year, that would be a smart move IMO if we could find a taker

I know we cant trade comp picks , but I really do hope we make a move for a higher pick next year, and trade down again with our other picks , maybe even give up a couple picks and our 1st rounder to get down into the teens for a shot at an impact player this year ....we have options, and I'm pretty fired up to see what Trent does in the off season

If they trade a 3rd rounder for a 2nd the following year, it better be the 49ers original pick and not the Panthers pick. That Panthers pick is looking joocy, could be a Top 5 pick in the 3rd.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:

So we have 4 picks in the 1st 3 rounds without the comp pick? If we do get the 3rd round comp pick, we would have 3 3rd round picks?
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by buck:

So we have 4 picks in the 1st 3 rounds without the comp pick? If we do get the 3rd round comp pick, we would have 3 3rd round picks?

that is correct
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

If they trade a 3rd rounder for a 2nd the following year, it better be the 49ers original pick and not the Panthers pick. That Panthers pick is looking joocy, could be a Top 5 pick in the 3rd.

What I realize now is that we could get a 2914 2nd for our 3rd, and that Panthers 3rd will be almost like a #2 round pick. So we might be able to get a 2014 1st for that pick.
With all of these picks I think we can accumilate more picks for 2014 as well as draft some young guys to really push our WR's and D-linemen. I find it hard to see a rookie starting on this team outside of maybe a WR.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
With all of these picks I think we can accumilate more picks for 2014 as well as draft some young guys to really push our WR's and D-linemen. I find it hard to see a rookie starting on this team outside of maybe a WR.

Kicker. Possibly tight end. And you can never have too many pass rushers. And definitely trade picks up.

Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by glorydayz:

Kicker. Possibly tight end. And you can never have too many pass rushers. And definitely trade picks up.

Oh yeah! There are two very good kickers in this draft, maybe more. I thought Harbaugh would load up on TE's last year since he likes to go big. But it seems like he would rather use O & D linemen in these situations. I could see us drafting a TE though. I think we have a knack for drafting Pass Rushers, and you are correct; you can never have enough of them.
Originally posted by pahlerbj:
None will be active
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

What I realize now is that we could get a 2914 2nd for our 3rd, and that Panthers 3rd will be almost like a #2 round pick. So we might be able to get a 2014 1st for that pick.

Wow 2914 your thinking ahead! I love it!
this is the year that they have the ammo to move up and take an impact player. with the mid round picks, i think they can draft some depth on the OL, LB and S.
That Carolina pick is looking like a top 10 in the 3rd
I really think trading multiple picks to move up higher next year is the way forward for us.

We saw with the recent draft that the FO are comfortable with our depth that we can spend some picks on "luxury" players because we are pretty deep across the board.

In a dream world:

1st = D-line (maybe package some picks to get someone the FO really want)
2nd = Trade for a 1st next year, ideally we will be picking 32nd, so we may have to throw in a fourth/fifth.
3a + 3b = Try and trade at least one of these for a 2nd rounder next year, ideally our pick is it should be late on . Use the other one BPA (just hope it is a C, WR or TE)
3 c = (assuming compensatory) trust the FO regarding how they feel about some of the young guys on the O-line, but wouldn't mind taking maybe another D-line (to rotate in) or maybe a CB/S here

WIth the rest of the draft picks I have faith in the FO, they have done a pretty good job so far. Ideally we would trade some of the later picks for earlier rounds e.g. 5th for a 2014 4th. As long as we keep our depth we could trade that 2014 for a 2015 3rd etc etc.

The drafts have been pretty good, but I don't see many picks after the fourth making it on to the roster, unless we get lucky/someone drops to us for some reason.

If we trade sensibly we could have x2 firsts and maybe even x2 seconds next year, which would give us the option to trade, or draft a great player in a position of need. Whilst we have roster depth we should stockpile as much as we can because eventually we will have to lose players through retirement or FA
Share 49ersWebzone