LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

Margus Hunt-DE-SMU

Man, I love this guy after just watching a few videos. I don't really give a s**t about his 40 time, but he's just got such great balance and holds up so well, even against double teams, which is incredibly hard to find for a guy of his height (and relative light weight). I have to think that his discus/track background has really developed his core and balance in a way that's rare for his size. And his burst in the open field and explosion off the snap is really evident as well. If he were 21 years old, I'd think he would be a top 20 lock.

The issues of course, besides his age, are that he doesn't seem to react quickly to the play (and misses tackles as well). But he reminds me of Aldon Smith when they moved him inside. Just too quick for those lineman, and still ox strong. I'd ideally see Hunt put on 10-15 pounds and play 3-4 DE for us.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Hunt is an oddity with his size and athleticism, and could be just the type of weapon we need. It's not like we need him to step in from day one and dominate. He would be the perfect pet project, imo.

1st rounder....pet project.....does not compute.
Kaep was the 36th overall pick... Our first rounder this year is the 31st... What's the difference? With the Alex trade we might get the 34th as well.

Kaep worked out great for us but the majority would have said he was a project and not ready.

If you go back and look at previous drafts, there are plenty of boom or bust players but not because they were raw, they just didn't work out. I haven't checked all these guys stats but just looking at the end of the first rounds, how do we know if a guy will end up like ziggy hood or kentwan balmer or cameron jordan or bj ragi. I'm sure most of the guys at the end of the 1st round were highly touted by Kiper and McShay and I'm sure they probably did well in college ball as well... But some make it and some don't.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
I live in Cali so I don't get much SMU games, but when it's available, he looks like a guy, raw for sure (and I've admitted that), but flashed. When he flashed, he showed some great quickness getting out of his stance. I think about how Tomsula can really coach him up.

So you are arguing with people over a player you haven't watched much at all? Interesting.

As I've been saying, you are in the minority in regards to Hunt, there is a lot of doubt about his abilities and football instincts. He has tremendous athleticism, yes, but so have a lot of famous NFL busts. I'm not ready to jump on a guy who is ill-fitting in this system and incredibly raw at age 26. Sorry if that offends you.

You still haven't answered my question about how you're able to watch all his games. I admitted that I don't get much of SMU, but doesn't mean I shouldn't have an opinion. I was still able to watch him against Texas A&M, Houston, TCU, and Fresno St. Is that good enough for you? Like I said before, get off your high horse. I've kept my mind open about drafting the guy since I have faith in our staff to develop him. You, on the other hand, would prefer not to draft him because of his motor and being too raw, but wouldn't mind John Jenkins who has major motor and conditioning issues.

But keep patting yourself in the back, though, Phoenix
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Hunt is an oddity with his size and athleticism, and could be just the type of weapon we need. It's not like we need him to step in from day one and dominate. He would be the perfect pet project, imo.

1st rounder....pet project.....does not compute.
Kaep was the 36th overall pick... Our first rounder this year is the 31st... What's the difference? With the Alex trade we might get the 34th as well.

Kaep worked out great for us but the majority would have said he was a project and not ready.

If you go back and look at previous drafts, there are plenty of boom or bust players but not because they were raw, they just didn't work out. I haven't checked all these guys stats but just looking at the end of the first rounds, how do we know if a guy will end up like ziggy hood or kentwan balmer or cameron jordan or bj ragi. I'm sure most of the guys at the end of the 1st round were highly touted by Kiper and McShay and I'm sure they probably did well in college ball as well... But some make it and some don't.

Give up on Phoenix. He only wants perfect prospects. Prospects that are rated top-10 at pick 31
The nice thing about this discussion is that in a few days it will be settled by Baalke and Co. Baalke stated that the Niners are at the stage of their board that they will now invite the position coaches in for a review of the players they would be coaching and see what their opinions are. I would love to hear Tomsula discuss the pros and cons of each of the linemen presented to him and listen to his feedback of what he sees and what he projects could be done with each player. Then Baalke and Co will shuffle their boards with the data that they have and see what and who they want and maybe we will get a why as well. But when they are finished picking then we can pick their bones apart. Soon we will know if Hunt will be a 49er or not.
Margus c**t? Sounds like a successful football player
This guys like 33 years old and has a stupid ass first name. I hope the doctor slapped his momma.

i wouldn't spend nothing more than a 7th round pick on him
[ Edited by DaDivaRecieva15 on Feb 28, 2013 at 1:47 PM ]
It takes time when learning new movement skills. When Margus' play action actually becomes reactionary rather than thought process, he will be a consistantly dominant player. His combine drills showed he is very close. Skills can be taught, his speed, strength and size cannot. I would love to see him as a 49er...unfortunately he will not be around by the 31st pick.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
This guys like 33 years old and has a stupid ass first name. I hope the doctor slapped his momma.

i wouldn't spend nothing more than a 7th round pick on him

This is the most intelligent comment I've seen on here.
Originally posted by anniepeep2:
It takes time when learning new movement skills. When Margus' play action actually becomes reactionary rather than thought process, he will be a consistantly dominant player. His combine drills showed he is very close. Skills can be taught, his speed, strength and size cannot. I would love to see him as a 49er...unfortunately he will not be around by the 31st pick.

Exactly. This guy looks like a warrior. I picture him and Justin doing bull rushes and swim moves in the blistering cold at 6am until his form is perfected. He's a junior champion in shot put and discus. He's been playing football for 4 years now, and he's dominating people that have been playing their whole life.

the older the berry, the sweeter the juice
He looked pretty fluid at the combie, but I'm not a fan of drafting a 26 year old in the first two rounds. Which is where he would go.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Feb 28, 2013 at 8:53 PM ]
I know our resident draft geeks have been down on him, but from I have seen on film, I freaking love this guy, but you can't draft him making him something he isn't. He is really a base 3-4 OLB (like what Harralson played), and would excel in that role. He doesn't weight enough to play the 5 technique in the NFL and two gap with NFL OT's. He is a great 4-3 DE IMO though.

My suspicion is he is going to fly up draft boards and I wouldn't be surprised if someone took him in the first round anymore after his freakish combine. I would definitely consider picking him up at either of our first two picks, but not likely.
For us to draft Margus Hunt with one of our first three picks, a few things must happen. First off since we are looking for a DE that could come in and spell Justin Smith (should be able to handle 10-20 snaps a game). I don't think Hunt is up to that responsibility in 2013. We also would need to sign a DE in FA and/or draft another DE that is up to the task while Hunt is being coached up. And we also would need to make sure we draft one of the best nose tackles available because if we are going to spend time developing a player this raw, we need to have someone else on the defensive line (besides Smith and Ray MacDonald) that can be a part of the regular rotation. People speak about how raw CK was when he came out. But the difference is, he wasn't expected to do much coming out. There are expectations on any defensive lineman we draft. Unless Hunt falls to the fourth, and I am certain that he won't, I wouldn't touch him. There are good 3-4 defensive ends and nose tackles available that are ready to play now. There will be defensive backs available that are ready to play now. We could also use another receiver that could start in the future. That's 5 picks I've counted so far. We can go after project players in the late rounds or go the UDFA route.

I also must say, I would LOVE it if a team ahead of us took him in the first round. It probably means there would be one more defensive line player available for us at 31.
If his tape is poor then Baalke won't bother. Baalke cares more about the tape he has on a guy than how he performs at the combine. This guy is all about the combine so i don't think we'll even look at him
Share 49ersWebzone