LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

Margus Hunt-DE-SMU

I really like this guy
Kiper has us taking Hunt in his mock draft...

31. San Francisco 49ers- DE Margus Hunt (SMU)
GM Trent Baalke understands talent when he sees it, and Margus Hunt is no exception. Hunt "wowed" scouts during the NFL combine and was the "workout warrior." Not to be disappointed the tape also did not lie, as Hunt holds the NCAA record for most blocked field-goals. With DE Justin Smith aging, it would be wise to groom his viable replacement sooner rather than later.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:

GM Trent Baalke understands talent when he sees it, and Margus Hunt is no exception. Hunt "wowed" scouts during the NFL combine and was the "workout warrior." Not to be disappointed the tape also did not lie, as Hunt holds the NCAA record for most blocked field-goals. With DE Justin Smith aging, it would be wise to groom his viable replacement sooner rather than later.

him or Dantone Jones at 31
  • buck
  • Veteran
Interesting, but not particulary relevent, bit of trivia

Michael Carter, one of the best 49er defensive linemen ever, went to SMU.

Like Hunt, Carter was a world class track athlete. In the 984 Olympics, Carter won the silver medal in the shot put.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 3, 2013 at 8:12 AM ]
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

Jones at 31
Hunt at 34

I see Hunt more of a 4-3 end not a 3-4 end he is a better pass rusher but not good against the run which we need.in our defense. Tends to play to high which OL push him out of plays & not a good tackler.

Datone Jones is more of a 49er 3-4 end good at against the run & better tackler
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
I see Hunt more of a 4-3 end not a 3-4 end he is a better pass rusher but not good against the run which we need.in our defense. Tends to play to high which OL push him out of plays & not a good tackler.

No he's not. Jones hiys his gap at 300mph and half the time he will make a play but he also gives up the big play alot. Hes to aggressive for a 3-4. Hunt can play the 3-4 too.
Originally posted by eonblue:

No he's not. Jones hiys his gap at 300mph and half the time he will make a play but he also gives up the big play alot. Hes to aggressive for a 3-4. Hunt can play the 3-4 too.

Jones In College played inside as a DT his job is to penetrate big difference. His defense of play against the run surpasses Hunt in everyway he is not a fit in the 49ers imo. Hunt played on the edge as a pass rusher look at film he is terrible against the run.
  • buck
  • Veteran

I have never seen this critique of Datone Jones. Most seem to think that he would be a good 3-4 DE.

Where did you find this or how did you come up with it. Thanks.
Originally posted by buck:
I have never seen this critique of Datone Jones. Most seem to think that he would be a good 3-4 DE.

Jones played the Justin Smith role in terms of handling blockers, if you watch UCLA, other guys like Barr were coming in and making plays as a result of what Jones was doing. With his ability to rush the passer, stop the run and being able to play inside and outside, I see him as the ideal guy to develop as a future replacement for Justin.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by buck:

Jones played the Justin Smith role in terms of handling blockers, if you watch UCLA, other guys like Barr were coming in and making plays as a result of what Jones was doing. With his ability to rush the passer, stop the run and being able to play inside and outside, I see him as the ideal guy to develop as a future replacement for Justin.

Very true If Tavon Austin is gone with our 1st pick Datone Jones should be our 1b option imo

I have no idea why people say that 280 pounders make good 3-4 DE's...they don't. They have to be at least 300 lbs., (which I actually believe Justin Smith is in reality or he's just a freak) This is why most 3-4 teams have huge DE's that are just as big as the NG's or close to them.

Hunt is a much better 3-4 prospect because he said he has been up to 300 at times and only lost weight because his coaches asked him to. The perfect comparison for Hunt is Campbell on Arizona....a great player.

Jones In College played inside as a DT his job is to penetrate big difference. His defense of play against the run surpasses Hunt in everyway he is not a fit in the 49ers imo. Hunt played on the edge as a pass rusher look at film he is terrible against the run.

Hunt played DT all the time at SMU
Originally posted by bigwads:

Hunt played DT all the time at SMU

He played DE look at the thread, profile, youtube bro
[ Edited by Norwalks_Best on Mar 3, 2013 at 10:43 AM ]
Originally posted by bigwads:
I have no idea why people say that 280 pounders make good 3-4 DE's...they don't. They have to be at least 300 lbs., (which I actually believe Justin Smith is in reality or he's just a freak) This is why most 3-4 teams have huge DE's that are just as big as the NG's or close to them.

JJ Watt goes about 290-295, obviously he's garbage, as is Justin Smith in the same range. Ray McDonald is also crap, he's around 290. Antonio Smith of the Texas? He's around 285.....obviously useless as well.

Your problem is you aren't differentiating between 3-4 DE's, some teams like the Steelers want their DE's to simply be big, fat guys who allow the OLB's to get loose, teams like Houston and the 49ers look for an active pass rush from their DE's, constant penetration and have guys that require double-teams as a result. Datone Jones, at his height, needs about another 10 pounds and since the 49ers aren't bringing in any DE to be an immediate starter, I'm more than confident that he can pick up 10 pounds in a pro strength training program within a year. In the 49ers system, the DE doesn't need to be 300+ pounds, not sure where you got that misconception but reality doesn't match up with it whatsoever.

Hunt is a much better 3-4 prospect because he said he has been up to 300 at times and only lost weight because his coaches asked him to. The perfect comparison for Hunt is Campbell on Arizona....a great player.

The logical inconsistency is mind-boggling here. Jones is bad because he's 280, but Hunt, who weighs less while being a lot taller is somehow kosher because he "said" he weighed 300 at one point? Are you serious with this? Calais Campbell goes between 305-310.....and was far more polished as a prospect coming out of college.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 3, 2013 at 10:42 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone