LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 305 users in the forums

Margus Hunt-DE-SMU

Originally posted by dhp318:
Man, I love this guy after just watching a few videos. I don't really give a s**t about his 40 time, but he's just got such great balance and holds up so well, even against double teams, which is incredibly hard to find for a guy of his height (and relative light weight). I have to think that his discus/track background has really developed his core and balance in a way that's rare for his size. And his burst in the open field and explosion off the snap is really evident as well. If he were 21 years old, I'd think he would be a top 20 lock.

The issues of course, besides his age, are that he doesn't seem to react quickly to the play (and misses tackles as well). But he reminds me of Aldon Smith when they moved him inside. Just too quick for those lineman, and still ox strong. I'd ideally see Hunt put on 10-15 pounds and play 3-4 DE for us.
Heck yea. Thats what I'm saying.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by dhp318:
Man, I love this guy after just watching a few videos. I don't really give a s**t about his 40 time, but he's just got such great balance and holds up so well, even against double teams, which is incredibly hard to find for a guy of his height (and relative light weight). I have to think that his discus/track background has really developed his core and balance in a way that's rare for his size. And his burst in the open field and explosion off the snap is really evident as well. If he were 21 years old, I'd think he would be a top 20 lock.

The issues of course, besides his age, are that he doesn't seem to react quickly to the play (and misses tackles as well). But he reminds me of Aldon Smith when they moved him inside. Just too quick for those lineman, and still ox strong. I'd ideally see Hunt put on 10-15 pounds and play 3-4 DE for us.
Heck yea. Thats what I'm saying.
I read an interview where he said he played at 295 or so before. I think he is 270 now. He said he could easily put the 20 pounds back on if that's what a team wanted??? He liked going back to his disc and shot put training so I think that slimmed him down???
Hunt is my 2013 NFL MAN CRUSH!!!!

The 6-foot-8, 277 pound defensive end was among the leaders for defensive linemen in the bench press and 40-yard dash. Hunt completed 38 reps of 225 pounds, which matched Brandon Williams from Missouri Southern State for most reps among any participant at the combine. Hunt also ran a 4.60 in the 40-yard dash which was tied for third-best among linemen. Only Trevardo Wiilliams from Connecticut (4.57) and Barkevious Mingo from LSU (4.58) posted faster times.

Oh and he sacked Kaepernick when they played in the the Hawaii Bowl
[ Edited by DRUSTOPO on Mar 1, 2013 at 12:17 PM ]
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:

The 6-foot-8, 277 pound defensive end was among the leaders for defensive linemen in the bench press and 40-yard dash. Hunt completed 38 reps of 225 pounds, which matched Brandon Williams from Missouri Southern State for most reps among any participant at the combine. Hunt also ran a 4.60 in the 40-yard dash which was tied for third-best among linemen. Only Trevardo Wiilliams from Connecticut (4.57) and Barkevious Mingo from LSU (4.58) posted faster times.

I hate Hunt. He sacks qbs, pressures, and tackle for a loss. Hes only been playing football for 4 years and he dominates players that have played their whole life. He also moves like some that weighs 245 at 283. All these things in combination make him awful in my book.
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:

I hate Hunt. He sacks qbs, pressures, and tackle for a loss. Hes only been playing football for 4 years and he dominates players that have played their whole life. He also moves like some that weighs 245 at 283. All these things in combination make him awful in my book.
He also has a stupid first name

It'd be great if that "domination" didn't disappear for whole games at times. He's been referred to as the "invisible man" for pulling an incredible disappearing act, playing against people he should be physically demolishing and burying into the ground and being utterly non-existent, especially in the second halves of games.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

It'd be great if that "domination" didn't disappear for whole games at times. He's been referred to as the "invisible man" for pulling an incredible disappearing act, playing against people he should be physically demolishing and burying into the ground and being utterly non-existent, especially in the second halves of games.

There you go again. You hate the guy, yet you're constantly in this thread talking about him. If you don't like him, then let it be. You're not gonna change minds in here.

Sure, he should have dominated, but a lot of that can progress through better coaching and a better surrounding cast.
The only disappearing act I know of is the one where you try to make a prospects talents disappear when you don't like them. Do you get a lot of SMU games where you live? I'm guessing since you have such an firm understanding of Hunt you must have an extensive amount of tape?
Originally posted by SF69ers:

There you go again. You hate the guy, yet you're constantly in this thread talking about him. If you don't like him, then let it be. You're not gonna change minds in here.

Sure, he should have dominated, but a lot of that can progress through better coaching and a better surrounding cast.

This is my thread bro...I'll do what I want.
His value is at the #63 pick. He would be a great pick-up for the Niners there. His age and the fact that he needs development make it so. His athleticism and strength make up for it. Possibly the closest replica of Justin Smith down the road.

This is my thread bro...I'll do what I want.

Holy s**t, it IS your thread.

WTF?! You really liked him?!?! And now you really hate him?!?! WTF?!

He started the thread, and his first words were, "I like this player a lot. . ."

Edit: Damn beat me to it.
[ Edited by captain_planet on Mar 1, 2013 at 3:24 PM ]
The only disappearing act I know of is the one where you try to make a prospects talents disappear when you don't like them. Do you get a lot of SMU games where you live? I'm guessing since you have such an firm understanding of Hunt you must have an extensive amount of tape?

Seeing as how my business requires me to spend a lot of time in the Fort Worth area......I might have a clue or two.

Once again, I'm not arguing something that many others aren't arguing as well. Hunt is amazing and incredible out on the track, he flashes of brilliance out on the field, a great game here and there, and he has several other games where you simply aren't sure if he's out there on the field for the majority of the game. I've never been a fan of defensive linemen with iffy motors and his stutters more than I'd like.
Originally posted by captain_planet:
He started the thread, and his first words were, "I like this player a lot. . ."

for real, i JUST noticed that, too. Can't believe what I'm seeing..
Originally posted by captain_planet:

Potential wise, absolutely.....and I'd love to see him drafted in the late 2nd or 3rd round. The potential is undeniable, but as he's a total project, there's no way in hell you take him in the 1st or early 2nd .
Share 49ersWebzone