There are 148 users in the forums

should we take a CB in the first three rounds?

Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
I think we can, I believe the next draft is simply finding guys to groom for players that might leave or retire. I'm thinking, someone on the d line for Justin smith and a possible nt, since well probably lose one of them. Also a replacement for Rogers and a center would be a possibility. Probably another wr since we have moss on a 1 year deal, ginn on a 1 year deal and Kyle Williams with an Acl tear.

Yes. But assuming Alex Smith leaves, Goldson is a lock to re-sign. That makes our draft options wide open.

I do not expect Sopoaga to re sign, but I dp think we give RJF a deal. That makes drafting a NT in the first two days a need. If we lose Sopoaga and RJF I think we have to go NT very early.

i wouldnt call goldson a lock--if some team offers more then he could leave

not if he is franchised. It also doesn't look like Rogers is going anywhere, since they just pushed him some bonus money to get Navorro signed. I guess the coaches and FO see something I don't, since it looks to me like he gets detroyed by quickness, which is sorta a big deal, which generally doesn't get any better as he player ages.
We have the 2nd ranked passing defense in the league, 2 young and talented CBs (Culliver and Brown) and a veteran nickel who overall has played very well. Very few CBs (if any) have been able to shut down Cruz 1-on-1 since last year, and when healthy, Amendola is one of the toughest slot WRs in the game...he's right up there with Wes Welker, Randall Cobb and Lance Moore.

I'm not saying we SHOULDN'T draft a CB in the first three rounds; I am saying we should have a little more perspective about how well our current DBs are playing. Personally, I'd rather extend T-Brown, keep Rogers as a veteran nickel and continue to let Culliver develop. Spending more 1-3 round picks on upgrading our aging defensive front and quality pass-rush depth is the direction I'd go in, but that's me.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Yes. But assuming Alex Smith leaves, Goldson is a lock to re-sign. That makes our draft options wide open.

I do not expect Sopoaga to re sign, but I dp think we give RJF a deal. That makes drafting a NT in the first two days a need. If we lose Sopoaga and RJF I think we have to go NT very early.

We aint losing Big Ice so you can get that thought out yo head.....
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Cut Rogers give the money to Goldson and draft a CB early

Well said good sir
Invest in the very best DLine guys we can in the first 3 rounds.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
We have the 2nd ranked passing defense in the league, 2 young and talented CBs (Culliver and Brown) and a veteran nickel who overall has played very well. Very few CBs (if any) have been able to shut down Cruz 1-on-1 since last year, and when healthy, Amendola is one of the toughest slot WRs in the game...he's right up there with Wes Welker, Randall Cobb and Lance Moore.

I'm not saying we SHOULDN'T draft a CB in the first three rounds; I am saying we should have a little more perspective about how well our current DBs are playing. Personally, I'd rather extend T-Brown, keep Rogers as a veteran nickel and continue to let Culliver develop. Spending more 1-3 round picks on upgrading our aging defensive front and quality pass-rush depth is the direction I'd go in, but that's me.

That's a good point. And the coaching staff seems to like Cox and Brock as depth at the position.

At the same time, looking at what happened to Williams and Hunter, it's always good to have depth on hand. Since we have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds, I think we could afford to snag BPA at CB with that late 3rd.

R1: Defensive line
R2: Outside Linebacker
R3: Tight End (via Carolina)
R3: Secondary
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

That's a good point. And the coaching staff seems to like Cox and Brock as depth at the position.

At the same time, looking at what happened to Williams and Hunter, it's always good to have depth on hand. Since we have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds, I think we could afford to snag BPA at CB with that late 3rd.

R1: Defensive line
R2: Outside Linebacker
R3: Tight End (via Carolina)
R3: Secondary

I'm with you both. Good plan!
  • GORO
  • Veteran
from about 2002 to 2010 around this time all I could do was start reading up on draft prospects. But these last two years its' nice to not have to start reading up on prospects because the 49ers are contenders once again.

Hopefully things work out and we have the 32 pick and last pick in each round.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
I think for sure.
Originally posted by hofer36:
i wouldn't call Goldson a lock--if some team offers more then he could leave

If they have to, the 49ers will again franchise Goldson; he isn't going anywhere else.

• fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Harkonnenzombie:
Well said good sir

Your tripping. Carlos is our best CBS right now. As he was for the redskins. They throw the ball less to his side. That's why u don't see him as much as last year. And he sometimes guards the speedy guys which Terrell 4.3 should be
  • fan49
  • Veteran
You guys are pretty funny. Rogers is our best cb.
i am expecting us to do a whole lot of trading up in this years draft for defensive players and maybe one big reciever. we have alot of picks and lil need and lil room! move up and draft whoever harbaalke decides is the best DT for this defense and best DE and Corner and then go after a big reciever or instead of moving up to get a corner... move up and get another dominate TE opposite of vernon davis if we dont resign walker.. which i feel like we arnt going to if he doesnt want to do it for cheap.

and when i say CB im implying S too. so CB or S that they believes fits our scheme best.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Dec 1, 2012 at 11:00 PM ]
I'd like to see us draft CB, DE, and NT early...

I'm assuming we cut Sopoaga and bring back RJF.
Originally posted by fan49:
You guys are pretty funny. Rogers is our best cb.

Our best CB? I don't know about that. Brown has been very good this year (after a rocky start to last year), and Cully is growing up fast (could be a #1-type next year). I think Rogers is a good CB, but he isn't quick enough to serve the purpose in our Nickle defense that Fangio seems to want. It would appear that Fangio wants a nickle that can man-up and eliminate slot receivers on his own, and Rogers has been getting killed trying to do that against the quicker guys he has faced.
Share 49ersWebzone