There are 102 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 Defensive Line Prospects (DE, DT, and NT)

Originally posted by eonblue:
Do you think we should trade up and if so who would you pick?

I think we'd have to move up quite a bit to get a real impact player at DLfor the future. However, I think the Niners have some long range problems at CB and OL (center/right guard) and the team could be a beneficiary of a huge run on DL in the first round.

I know it sounds silly with such a talented team, but we are going to need to reload at starting positions across the board over the next few years (DL, OL, CB, WR, S, RB) not to mention adding reserve/depth at RB, TE, ILB, and OLB.

Edited note: One very intriguing player not mentioned by me, that will probably be there late in the first round is Clemson jumbo-sized DE Malliciah Goodman. At a listed 6'4", 280 pounds, he has a long frame and long arms. I tend to be skeptical about players stacking on 15 pounds to shift positions, but this guy may be an exception. I like his upside a lot, either as a big 43 DE or as a quick, penetrating 34 DE. Really good bend, ability to drive through the point of impact, good short area quickness.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jan 3, 2013 at 7:06 PM ]
Originally posted by 5280High:
If someone has had an opportunity to see all these guys, it would be interesting to see how they rank in terms of motor/technique vs physical ability for example a guy like Wolfe last year compared to Poe. Their positions may not be the same but hopefully y'all get what I mean... like high motor guys sometime get typecast as solid-not-as-high-a-ceiling player compared to boom or bust guys.
Originally posted by 5280High:
If someone has had an opportunity to see all these guys, it would be interesting to see how they rank in terms of motor/technique vs physical ability for example a guy like Wolfe last year compared to Poe. Their positions may not be the same but hopefully y'all get what I mean... like high motor guys sometime get typecast as solid-not-as-high-a-ceiling player compared to boom or bust guys.

I was not high on Poe last year in the draft primarily because I did not see a guy with a high motor. Wolfe really showed a lot of teams that a good athlete with a great work ethic can be a diffference maker. I bet KC would gladly swap those players with the Broncos today.

High Motor guys I like in this draft: Jesse Williams, Rex Burkhead, Jordan Kovacs, Travis Kelce, Stepfan Taylor.
Ehi Maddog,

what is your opinion about Shariff Floyd?

Considering that a trade for Sheldon Richardson could be too steep I really like this player even if I think that 49ers will have to move up some spots to grab him.

I prefer him over Jessie Williams even if I know that they plays different positions.

I saw Floyd play some times this year and he impresses me with his strength, ability to shed blockers ad he seems to be in every tackle.

I really like Matt Elam too. In my opinion he is a special player.

What is your opinion about this guys?

Thanks
[ Edited by Decima_Mas on Jan 4, 2013 at 4:31 AM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I think we'd have to move up quite a bit to get a real impact player at DLfor the future. However, I think the Niners have some long range problems at CB and OL (center/right guard) and the team could be a beneficiary of a huge run on DL in the first round.

I know it sounds silly with such a talented team, but we are going to need to reload at starting positions across the board over the next few years (DL, OL, CB, WR, S, RB) not to mention adding reserve/depth at RB, TE, ILB, and OLB.

Edited note: One very intriguing player not mentioned by me, that will probably be there late in the first round is Clemson jumbo-sized DE Malliciah Goodman. At a listed 6'4", 280 pounds, he has a long frame and long arms. I tend to be skeptical about players stacking on 15 pounds to shift positions, but this guy may be an exception. I like his upside a lot, either as a big 43 DE or as a quick, penetrating 34 DE. Really good bend, ability to drive through the point of impact, good short area quickness.

Good call on Goodman, as his name popped up favorably in the last game or two I have watched of him.

Can you elaborate on the bolded? What news have you on Kilgore's development at C? What possible long-term problem would we have at RG, considering Boone there?
Originally posted by Decima_Mas:
Ehi Maddog,

what is your opinion about Shariff Floyd?

Considering that a trade for Sheldon Richardson could be too steep I really like this player even if I think that 49ers will have to move up some spots to grab him.

I prefer him over Jessie Williams even if I know that they plays different positions.

I saw Floyd play some times this year and he impresses me with his strength, ability to shed blockers ad he seems to be in every tackle.

I really like Matt Elam too. In my opinion he is a special player.

What is your opinion about this guys?

Thanks

Floyd is very athletic, strong, a terrific DT candidate. However, I think he goes late teens at the latest. Just too much talent.

Elam is a guy who really flies around the field. I feel better about him as an NFL safety than Eric Reid, who many consider the top safety in the draft, Elam is a playmaker, and probably a late first rounder.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Good call on Goodman, as his name popped up favorably in the last game or two I have watched of him.

Can you elaborate on the bolded? What news have you on Kilgore's development at C? What possible long-term problem would we have at RG, considering Boone there?

Hard to know the development of Kilgore, but there appear to be no signs that he is ready to take over at center. Maybe he is, maybe not. I don't buy it. Boone is receiving mixed reviews this year, and I believe the team needs to evaluate his progress and see if this is the direction for the team in the future

Hard to know the development of Kilgore, but there appear to be no signs that he is ready to take over at center. Maybe he is, maybe not. I don't buy it. Boone is receiving mixed reviews this year, and I believe the team needs to evaluate his progress and see if this is the direction for the team in the future

I almost think the RG solution is right in front of them by switching Anthony Davis and Alex Boone...Davis (IMO) would be a crushing run-blocking guard, while Boone's length and relatively quick feet would help in pass protection at RT. They definitely need a long-term answer at center though, whether that's Kilgore, Looney (who might be a good candidate to learn all interior line positions) or an incoming rookie.
Floyd is very athletic, strong, a terrific DT candidate. However, I think he goes late teens at the latest. Just too much talent.

Elam is a guy who really flies around the field. I feel better about him as an NFL safety than Eric Reid, who many consider the top safety in the draft, Elam is a playmaker, and probably a late first rounder.

You are kind as usual.

If you were 49ers GM and Jesse Williams and Shariff Floyd were both available, who would you pick?
[ Edited by Decima_Mas on Jan 4, 2013 at 10:25 AM ]

No way Floyd goes top 15. Jesse williams, Star lotoulolei, Sheldon Richardson, Kawann shirt, Johnathan Jenkins from Georgia and Ohio are all higher prospects and even a couple of them will make it to thé 20s. People are acting like the first 20 picks are all going to be Dline. I wouldnt be suprised at all if w e get a stud DT at 32. I agree with you on elam he reminds me so much of Goldson. I have a feeling were going to draft a top safety and franschise him one last season. Which brings me to this question? Should we really be assuming the 1st rd pick is going to the dline?
No way Floyd goes top 15. Jesse williams, Star lotoulolei, Sheldon Richardson, Kawann shirt, Johnathan Jenkins from Georgia and Ohio are all higher prospects and even a couple of them will make it to thé 20s. People are acting like the first 20 picks are all going to be Dline. I wouldnt be suprised at all if w e get a stud DT at 32. I agree with you on elam he reminds me so much of Goldson. I have a feeling were going to draft a top safety and franschise him one last season. Which brings me to this question? Should we really be assuming the 1st rd pick is going to the dline?

To me Elam reminds a young Troy Polamalu

I never got to see a young Polamalu. :(. I was just referring to the roles they pay within their teams. To bad Florida blew their bowl game. I would've liked to see them win. Sheriff Floyd played great tho.
You are kind as usual.

If you were 49ers GM and Jesse Williams and Shariff Floyd were both available, who would you pick?

Williams. Williams will anchor a 3-4 defense as the NT for a decade. I think Soap is bolting for the cash, so an immediate starter is needed.

In addition, I think Floyd's best position is at the 4-3 undertackle position, although I think he would still play at a high level in the 3-4 DE role.

I never got to see a young Polamalu. :(. I was just referring to the roles they pay within their teams. To bad Florida blew their bowl game. I would've liked to see them win. Sheriff Floyd played great tho.

What did you guys think of his teammate Dominique Easley? I thought he played great and really stood out. He's a junior and I'm not sure if he's going to declare..

We will soon see how it shakes out, once the combine and campus workouts begin. I think you will see the speed, strength and explosiveness of Floyd push him past guys such as Kawann Short, who looks like a second rounder to me, and Jenkins, who I think will slide toward the back end of the first round.

Who is Boone receiving mixed reviews from? I've not seen anything other than positives across the board.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home