LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 278 users in the forums

2013 Defensive Line Prospects (DE, DT, and NT)

Good question PT! I would have to guess that they are happy with Dorsey and Williams so Dial was added for depth. I was set on drafting a big, true NT...and was wrong! Darn! But I did have them taking Reid so I'll coast on that pick.

I wonder if their strategy is to just tie up OLmen so the LBs can clean up the RBs? That would eliminate the need for a power pass-rushing NT as they switch to four down on those downs.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Good question PT! I would have to guess that they are happy with Dorsey and Williams so Dial was added for depth. I was set on drafting a big, true NT...and was wrong! Darn! But I did have them taking Reid so I'll coast on that pick.

I wonder if their strategy is to just tie up OLmen so the LBs can clean up the RBs? That would eliminate the need for a power pass-rushing NT as they switch to four down on those downs.

While I don't expect us to switch to a 4-3, part of me thinks players like Dorsey and Carradine might be a better fit in a 4-3 since we don't have a true NT? (And yes, I know Baalke mentioned plans to have Carradine bulk up to around 290 and playing DE.) But we run a bit of hybrid scheme anyway, right? 4-2-5 on 3rd and long situations, if I'm not mistaken?

Whatever we do, I trust Trent Baake. He seems to know how to draft players that best fit what we want to do. And DC Vic Fangio is very creative!
[ Edited by PTulini on Apr 29, 2013 at 10:25 PM ]
Originally posted by PTulini:
While I don't expect us to switch to a 4-3, part of me thinks players like Dorsey and Carradine might be a better fit in a 4-3 since we don't have a true NT? (And yes, I know Baalke mentioned plans to have Carradine bulk up to around 290 and playing DE.) But we run a bit of hybrid scheme anyway, right? 4-2-5 on 3rd and long situations, if I'm not mistaken?

Whatever we do, I trust Trent Baake. He seems to know how to draft players that best fit what we want to do. And DC Vic Fangio is very creative!

Yes, this seems to be a great draft for Fangio! He can do a lot with the D picks and I expect a very different SF D next year. The DLine will likely rotate more, with OLBs also rotating. The DBs will likely play closer to the LOS with Reid able to cover more ground, and the CBs may even rotate to stay more fresh. Will be fun to watch.

But Sopoaga was listed at 6'2" and 330 pounds, was a very good athlete and quick. That may be difficult to replace with the current roster. Doubt there will be a FA addition as Richard Seymour seems the only DT avalable and he is not a NT type.

The improvement to Baalke/Harbaugh from Nolan/Nolan or McCloughan/Singletary is mind boggling! Wow! Can't really state how happy I am with the current regime.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by PTulini:

Yes, this seems to be a great draft for Fangio! He can do a lot with the D picks and I expect a very different SF D next year. The DLine will likely rotate more, with OLBs also rotating. The DBs will likely play closer to the LOS with Reid able to cover more ground, and the CBs may even rotate to stay more fresh. Will be fun to watch.

But Sopoaga was listed at 6'2" and 330 pounds, was a very good athlete and quick. That may be difficult to replace with the current roster. Doubt there will be a FA addition as Richard Seymour seems the only DT avalable and he is not a NT type.

The improvement to Baalke/Harbaugh from Nolan/Nolan or McCloughan/Singletary is mind boggling! Wow! Can't really state how happy I am with the current regime.

I'm excited to see what happens!
I am VERY happy w/the focus on the DLine.

A fresh DLine rotation will keep the heat on our opponents all game long, keep our stars fresh into the playoffs and a PLUS - getting quality players for the future will win championships for years to come.

In this draft we definitely focused on the DLine and still got a potentially very good S, WR, OLB, RB, ST. An overlooked benefit is we can now put much more focus on other positions to pick up even better prospects in future FA & drafts.
Share 49ersWebzone