LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 344 users in the forums

2013 Defensive Line Prospects (DE, DT, and NT)

Originally posted by bigwads:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
This article covers your question: http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2012/8/20/3254034/the-2012-crimson-tide-defensive-line

"After a breakout season spent mainly at DE, Jesse Williams is now devoted full time to anchoring the line at nose tackle. At 6-4 320, the senior JUCO transfer is likely more suited to playing in the middle, but with a dearth of ability on the ends and a season veteran in Josh Chapman, Williams was needed more as a "swing" player, working inside and out as the situation dictated."

Thanks. It looks like this was written before the year though and he was still playing de most of the year.

I'm just having a really hard time taking Williams with one of our first two picks when some true ng are available later on in the draft and some better pure 34 de are available as well.

Sure, he'll need some coaching up, but I think he's a natural fit. No question he has the ability to be a NT. And we wouldn't need him to play all three downs. We could use him like Isaac Sopoaga. Jim Tomsula would love this guy!
[ Edited by PTulini on Apr 6, 2013 at 9:23 AM ]
Originally posted by PTulini:
Sure, he'll need some coaching up, but I think he's a natural fit. No question he has the ability to be a NT. And we wouldn't need him to play all three downs. We could use him like Isaac Sopoaga. Jim Tomsula would love this guy!

Regardless of my hesitation I do believe if he is there at 31 he is our pick.
Originally posted by bigwads:
Thanks. It looks like this was written before the year though and he was still playing de most of the year.

I'm just having a really hard time taking Williams with one of our first two picks when some true ng are available later on in the draft and some better pure 34 de are available as well.

SI lists Square and Stinson as the starters in 13 games at DE in 2012...guess I assumed that meant Williams started at NT on their three man line. It seems to me that Williams being moved around all over the line would indicate a strength...can wreck havoc from anywhere and the offense has to find and account for him!
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/06/georgias-john-jenkins-drops-38-pounds-down-to-332/

John Jenkins, a defensive tackle from Georgia who is viewed as a potential first-round NFL draft pick, says he has worked so hard since the end of the college football season that he's lost 38 pounds and is now down to 332.

Jenkins' camp has released a video of him running on a treadmill, showing off impressive speed for a man who is, they say, down to 332.

Not many people can refer to themselves as "down to 332," but Jenkins isn't built like many people. He weighed in at the Scouting Combine at 343, which was down from the 354 he was listed at in Georgia's football program. But Jenkins told the Macon Telegraph that Georgia's football program was being charitable, and he was actually heavier than 354.

"When you're in the moment, you don't want the negative feedback," Jenkins said. "The program stuck behind me, kept saying I was 354, when in all reality I was 370."

Even with that extra 38 pounds of body fat, Jenkins moved well for a big guy. But for Jenkins to be a first-round pick, some NFL team will need to be convinced that he can stay closer to 332
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Where does DT/NT Chris Jones projected to get picked? Dude put up good #'s at Bowling Green, 8 and 12 sacks the last 2 seasons.
Jesse Williams (330lbs) gettin' up: https://vine.co/v/btzhleOzLiQ
Can you guys explain to me the Webzone's fascination with Datone Jones?

Most impressive D-lineman at the senior bowl, often unblockable in 1v1 drills and looks like he can bulk up turning him into a perfect 3-4 end prospect. Thats it in a nutshell.
Originally posted by 5280High:

Most impressive D-lineman at the senior bowl, often unblockable in 1v1 drills and looks like he can bulk up turning him into a perfect 3-4 end prospect. Thats it in a nutshell.

Add to that: consistent high motor guy with track record of occupying multiple blockers to help teammates get home on pass rush (reminds me of a certain cowboy).
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by 5280High:

Add to that: consistent high motor guy with track record of occupying multiple blockers to help teammates get home on pass rush (reminds me of a certain cowboy).

Motor and production make him one of the top prospects and the fact he has played both 3/4 and 4/3 may indicate he is perfect for the niners hybrid defense.

• Andra
  • Veteran
does anyone like Joe Kruger DE from Utah maybe in the 3rd or 4th

Nice looks good after that injure. Top half is built if he get's those legs back going to be a stud. I'm all for drafting this kid for the cowboys replacement.
Now that the 2013 NFL Draft is over, Do you think we adequately addressed this area of need? What are your thoughts?
[ Edited by PTulini on Apr 29, 2013 at 9:58 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone